Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SharkLordSatan

What do you do to get motivated?

So I'm working on my doom/halo wad (I'm currently building the second level) and so far I think it's coming along okay. However I'm in a sort of "map block" (basically art block but w/ maps) and I don't know how to get out of this, because I feel like I'm letting the person I'm working with down for not working on it.

What do you guys do if you're experiencing something like this?

I usually just take a walk(also helps for inspiration), map on something different* or just straight let it be, because I know I won't get anything done.

* basically my first level editor was Hammer World Editor and there you normally block out the map and then start detailing things, so if you get a map block in one area, just start detailing another.

Also an image search for "level design inspiration" usually gives me some motivation as well.

1. Take a legitimate break. Get your mind off it completely at least for a whole day. Sometimes it takes a week or month or even more.

2. Play another author's wad that you like or at least known to be good as a general consensus. you are bound to find an idea or two you like to get some inspiration from.

3. Think how you could do that scenario (or aesthetic) better than that author or just more to your liking.

4. By then you should have a map layout, monster encounter, trap or secret that you're inspired to create and generally you can begin to work around it.

I smoke weed, but then I forget what I was gonna do so I sit on the couch and watch the paint peel. Afterwards I feel pretty drained so I smoke some more to recoup, at which point I'll typically take a walk outside and watch the leaves fall off the trees and blow in the wind. Of course if none are falling I'll help the process along. When I'm done, I'll then go light another one up and get something to eat, followed by smoking again, at which point I'll sit down in front of the computer, clap my hands together once and say, "ah, progress!" Then I go to bed.

Also, much as I (and everyone else) can relate to this, this thread has been done a hundred times. Use the half-way broken-but-please-don't-"fix"-it-because-it'll-wind-up-worse-than-before search function and see what others have said. Potts good reads from good mappers already on this subject, though really you should just listen to any established creator's (of anything) thoughts on the subject.

Best thing to do: keep good notes.

whenever i try to make a map, this always happens to me. it gets so bad i just outright give up.

1-Music, that motivates YOU or relaxes YOU.

2-Stop completely, do something else to divert your attention(like hanging out with your friends, taking a walk, watching a movie, etc)

3-Sleep, to refresh your mind so you can think clearly.

4-?, something that could spark an idea in your head (could be anything)

Listening to Kickass metal music while mapping like:

Dream Theater
Symphony X
Threshold
Nightwish
Kamelot
Children of Bodom
Kalmah
Amon Amarth

I could keep going but honestly this list wouldnt ever end.