Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Zerthex

soldier doom wad

i am making my own version of "marine doom" it will have friendly npc's as your fellow marines and a large map.
it is done> https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6V9rJ251TaOUEJiNlVDY2JncFU/view?usp=sharing
*you wake up in a room at the terrorist base. there are two terrorists interrogating you. then a couple of you marine buddies break in through the roof*

the prequel> https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6V9rJ251TaOdWN1TUJBT2xKd3c/view?usp=sharing
*you play as a marine going into a school that has been taken over by terrorists and .you end up being knocked out at the end*

for best effect play it on ultra violence!

For what it is. It's effective. Though I'd say you could probably have quite a bit more of height variation and etc on the map as it was surprisingly short. Though the basic concept is there, and workable for what it is.

Zerthex said:

these are NOT terrywads! so dont worry!

This only raises suspicion, it's a comment best left unsaid.

As for the rest of this post - post screenshots or you will receive very little interest in the map. I for one certainly won't download it without some kind of preview.

Dragonfly said:

This only raises suspicion, it's a comment best left unsaid.

As for the rest of this post - post screenshots or you will receive very little interest in the map. I for one certainly won't download it without some kind of preview.

He'll recieve hate for sure. 100%

On other side I don't want it to happen.

I played the first one and it's pretty bad.

Calling the map "large" is pretty much bs (i think it's smaller than e1m1). It's pretty much just one room with bunch of hitscanners and no cover.

-It's really short (like it takes longer to start up zdoom than play this map)
-You start the game with hitscanners shooting you
-Friendly marines are just chaingunners with friendly flag (my first instinct was to shoot them).
-Really bare bones in terms of gameplay
-Really bare bones in terms of visuals
-Confusing exit (seriously stop with these experimental exits)

I played both of these as well.....

[The prequel]
- Didn't like the shortness of the map
- Only 1 building you can enter. None of which resembles a "school" in any way.
- Everyone has the TF2 Soldiers voice including you as the player.
- Ally is just plain chaingunner
- "exit" to the level is just a skybox wall.....
- Horrible textures everywhere

[marine doom]
- Start out being shot and leads into a similar style open map with a mix of regular zombie men and shotgunners.
- Same chaingunner ally. Except now you have 2.
- Bland textures and layout.
- Not challenging at all. Even without the chaingunner allies. (Which I shot in the beginning) Its way too easy.

Cant say Im much of a fan... Only thing I like was the TF2 soldier voice..... but its used for everyone so....

Your wads may not be terrywads, but they are garbage, stop making shitwads like these and make a decent wad.
Otherwise continue to recieve negative crictism about your wads.

J.B.R said:

Your wads may not be terrywads, but they are garbage, stop making shitwads like these and make a decent wad.

i try to make them good!

Zerthex said:

i try to make them good!

Hey bro I don't sounds like a dick but these maps show that there is zero effort put in. I could probably make that "marine doom" map under 5 minutes (in 1 min if I really tried). You are lacking in every. You don't understand how level design works. You don't understand how doom works as a game.

Try harder plz (there is a ton of great material to study)

Also select a sector, shift+D and then press enter and you have a functional door.

J.B.R said:

Come on man, that's pretty harsh/mean. The guy said he is trying to make them good. You don't have to be so negative about it.

@Zerthex If you really want to make these decent you will need to change the models to something better, add better textures for everything, and build bigger and more detailed maps. I hope you do intend to improve on these despite some of the harsh criticism.

Jimp Argon said:

you will need to change the models to something better, add better textures for everything, and build bigger and more detailed maps.

I don't think you understand what makes a good level either, heh.

illuknisaa said:

Hey bro I don't sounds like a dick but these maps show that there is zero effort put in. I could probably make that "marine doom" map under 5 minutes (in 1 min if I really tried). You are lacking in every. You don't understand how level design works. You don't understand how doom works as a game.

Try harder plz (there is a ton of great material to study)

Also select a sector, shift+D and then press enter and you have a functional door.

this map took me two hours to make! i'm still pretty new to map making in the doom engine!
and im useing eureka doom editor to make my maps!

Zerthex said:

this map took me two hours to make! i'm still pretty new to map making in the doom engine!
and im useing eureka doom editor to make my maps!

Eureka is a useful editor (I use it myself) but it's quite old-school, if you are on Windows try Doom Builder too.

Jon said:

Eureka is a useful editor (I use it myself) but it's quite old-school, if you are on Windows try Doom Builder too.

well... i am on a mac. i do have slade3 but it crashes so i only use it to put sounds in my WAD's