Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LittleInferno

The amount of snow in your area

What is the amount of snow you get on average, in winter, in your area?

Normally in my area, there is no snow at all, even in the coldest winter. The closest we have gotten is our entire neighborhood covered in ice, at a your-jaw-dropped-to-your-balls 21 F, or -6 C.

The past few winters we've gotten a few near foot snowfalls...but then there's no snow in between. It sucks. I want multiple feet of snow all the time.

I live in Muskegon, MI which is on the eastern shore of Lake Michigan so I suffer through the phenomenon know as Lake-Effect Snow, basically the lake temperature being warmer than the air temperature causes near constant snowfall all winter long. The average yearly snowfall here is about 7.5 feet, though I don't recall ever seeing more than 3 feet of snow on the ground at any one time.

A lot of snow in my area in Winter, since i live in taiga. In the forests near my city snow is atleast knee-deep for several months.

I'm from central Canada. Knee height amounts of snow is common during the winter months. Although that is only in areas that are not plowed or shoveled. It accumulates over time.

Edmonton gets surprisingly little snow in the winter. There is always some, but what's more notable is the bitter cold. -40 is common.

RUSH said:

I'm from central Canada. Knee height amounts of snow is common during the winter months. Although that is only in areas that are not plowed or shoveled. It accumulates over time.

Also from central Canada. Can confrim.

I rarely to never get that in Oregon. It's mostly rain.

I did get some in January. Barely enough for a snow day thankfully.

Depends. Last winter we didn't get a lot, but the one before that we got snowed in pretty deep. Ice was really bad too. There wa s warm winter with lots of snow, so it was constantly melting and freezing, and it flooded a building of my dad's pretty bad. The lower level became a large skating rink.

I'm from South Dakota, USA, just West of the Rockies and the Black Hills. The last few winters we've gotten a few feet in January through April. It's been pretty dry, it gets cold but there hasn't been much snow. In 1982 we got a winter spell that drifted about 18 feet. Imagine "The Shining" movie and the drifts around the hotel.

Back in 2013 we got around 5 feet of wet snow, and it's still called the Blizzard of the Century. And I believe it, with 80 mile per hour winds, the snow just blanketed everything. I remember coming home at 1:00 PM, because the company where I worked shut down at 12:30 and seeing power lines coming down, as I was driving under them. They were sparking as they fell, and sparking when they hit the snow-covered ground. Power was shut off for 5 days, most of the trees came down, it was miserable. I'm glad I had a few board games and some cards. Couldn't get the door open for two days, and then I stomped out to the shed to get a cooler and loaded it with snow and then milk; chicken and beef so it didn't rot. Couldn't clear out with a shovel for 3 days.

I'm used to driving in snow, a foot isn't a huge issue and where I live they get it cleared off. But once I managed to get out of that storm and drive up to work there was a snow drift covering the building. I called in and got a voice mail saying they were close. The building was 20 feet tall, and it was covered.

The storm also killed thousands of cattle, as they didn't have their winter fur yet, usually they start growing it in late October or early November. I drove around the countryside two months after it hit, and I was amazed by how many cattle were still laying in the fields. There were folks loading them onto trucks with a forklifts. Cattle were dead with their heads between the barbed-wire fences.

Yeah the snow gets bad here.

It's been abnormally temperate recently, little snow in the winter and far cooler in the summer. The ice has been bad, though. Made getting anywhere at all pretty interesting. And that biting wind, whooo, had to cover up since it started drying out my skin.

On a good winter, we get 8 inches or so.

It's cyclical for us. This year was fairly mild, but the last couple years have been absolutely freakish with a ton of snow. But for a long period in the mid to late 00s we only had two seasons: summer and not-summer. I think we're probably heading back into that.

Effectively bugger all. Last time it snowed here it melted pretty much as soon as it hit the floor.

It was 2013, I think, that the rest of the UK was snowed in until the start of May, but here there was nothing at all.

During "winter" here, it doesnt even have a snowfall. Just a thick fog in the morning, dry weather and really nice chilly temperature. I just love it when i wrap myself in a blanket during this season.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA, so average of 4 feet a year. We're on the windward side of Lake Michigan, so we bequeath the lake effect snow to the poor sods in Michigan.

We haven't seen much snow in southern Ontario last winter. Any snow that did reached the ground doesn't even stay for a week. Kinda upset about that; would love to have a bit more snow.

Western Washington..
Most snow fall we had a while back was a Ice Storm/Blizzard equivalent, 3ft plus additional sheet of ice. Week of no power, but not much really happened.

Otherwise.. what.. 1 inch earlier this year? And then before most was... 3in? Yeah, for a being the state where it rains 90% of the time sure doesnt get it's dose of snow fall when the temps hit 30degrees or lower.

Jaws In Space said:

I live in Muskegon, MI which is on the eastern shore of Lake Michigan so I suffer through the phenomenon know as Lake-Effect Snow, basically the lake temperature being warmer than the air temperature causes near constant snowfall all winter long. The average yearly snowfall here is about 7.5 feet, though I don't recall ever seeing more than 3 feet of snow on the ground at any one time.

Yeah you're right about everything there. I live a few miles out of Detroit. I bet the west side of Michigan gets 2-3 times more snow than the east side ever gets. I really love snow though. Something has been really weird though. I always used to go visit my Grandma around New Year's in Grand Rapids (I was like 5-15 years old), which would have a lot of snow on the ground with huge icicles on many buildings. Back in Detroit we would have no snow at all or maybe just a dusting around New Year's. But lately when I go visit Grand Rapids at this exact same time, there is usually no snow at all on the ground. I'm not one to believe in anecdotes about climate change (even though I know it is occurring) but weather has definitely changed in Michigan the past decade, at least. And my dad used to talk about having so much snow on the ground in Grand Rapids that they had to scoop the snow piles away from the sidewalk in order to make room for new snow piles. I don't think that happens much at all anymore. :/

Rayzik said:

0 inches.

Rayzik said:

Florida is great.

So which statement is correct?