Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
invictius

What's the most unlikely country you've seen someone playing from?

I can just imagine someone with communist party connections in Cuba getting online with dialup and dooming it out... after all the multiplayer servers wouldn't be blocked, but it would cost them $10 an hour when the average wage is $20 a month...

Not really a country but once I saw 3 guys from Åland Islands on one server.

I suppose the internet blocking in China is a lot bigger than I thought since I only remember seeing one Chinese guy on ZDaemon throughout my 3 years there.

Players from Kazakhstan, Pakistan and Saudi Arabia are surprisingly common on ZDaemon.

The IP-to-country database ZDaemon uses isn't 100% accurate but I've seen players from other "exotic" areas - take your pick, I guess:
Aruba, Azerbaijan, Dominican Republic, Georgia, Greenland, Jordan, Kuwait, Kyrgyzstan, Libya, Malaysia, several guys from Palestinian territories, Qatar, Senegal, several guys from Vietnam etc.

No one from Cuba yet.

The following countries have connected to New Jersey FUNCRUSHER exactly once since GeoIP support was added to Zandronum:

• Dominican Republic
  • Croatia
  • Kuwait
  • Moldova
  • Mongolia
  • Syria
  • Vietnam
The following countries have connected to Germany FUNCRUSHER exactly once since the server has been live:
  • Åland Islands
  • Azerbaijan
  • Equatorial Guinea
  • Hong Kong
  • Macedonia
  • Malaysia
  • Panama
  • Puerto Rico
  • Uzbekistan
  • South Africa

The most unlikely country? That would be BD. very very very very very very very very rare.

Voros said:

The most unlikely country? That would be BD. very very very very very very very very rare.

Especially for the amount of people there. I thought it was Belarus at first.

AlexMax said:

The following countries have connected to New Jersey FUNCRUSHER exactly once since GeoIP support was added to Zandronum:

• Dominican Republic
  • Croatia
  • Kuwait
  • Moldova
  • Mongolia
  • Syria
  • Vietnam
The following countries have connected to Germany FUNCRUSHER exactly once since the server has been live:
  • Åland Islands
  • Azerbaijan
  • Equatorial Guinea
  • Hong Kong
  • Macedonia
  • Malaysia
  • Panama
  • Puerto Rico
  • Uzbekistan
  • South Africa

That's pretty awesome. Sometimes I forget how global Doom is :P

Odd/Uncommon/Unusual/Unexpected Server GeoIPs I've seen in the past for Zandronum:
-Belarus
-Costa Rica
-Egypt
-Isle of Man
-India
-Indonesia
-Israel
-Macedonia
-Morocco
-Netherlands
-Panama
-Saudi Arabia
-Serbia
-Slovakia
-Slovenia
-South Korea
-Turkey
-Ukraine (there was actually once a server cluster in Ukraine actually)

Thought I once saw Iraq once, but I feel like I would have remembered that better.

I've seen one Vietnamese server on Zandro ever.

Peru and Kazhakstan in addition to most of Zakurum's list.

My country, Australia.

Some of our infrastructure is third world, including our internet and public transport.

Chezza said:

My country, Australia.

Some of our infrastructure is third world, including our internet and public transport.

There are a few Aussies out there, somewhat rare but definitely not as rare as the places Alex and Zakurum listed. I only have seen one NZ Doomer, and he's a regular - WadArchive!

Sort of on the topic, why are Australians unable to get a playable ping to U.S/EU servers, yet MMO's with only servers in the same two regions get a fine ping? I don't believe it's due to infrastructure since nothing can decrease a ping over long distance. It would be logical to have servers in Japan but I've only seen one MMO with them.

Ancalagon said:

North korea?

Maybe that Kim Jong-un-loving basketball guy should go over again and introduce him to multiplayer doom.

invictius said:

Sort of on the topic, why are Australians unable to get a playable ping to U.S/EU servers, yet MMO's with only servers in the same two regions get a fine ping? I don't believe it's due to infrastructure since nothing can decrease a ping over long distance. It would be logical to have servers in Japan but I've only seen one MMO with them.

Maybe the ping in Doom just seems worse due to the split-second nature of the game. Games with a slightly slower/more strategic approach would probably still be playable with a ping of 300 or below. I'm just guessing though, the only games I have much experience playing online are Doom, Street Fighter and Smash Bros which all get affected in a very similar way by high ping.

invictius said:

Especially for the amount of people there. I thought it was Belarus at first.

What do you mean by that?

As far as i can tell, ive only seen Russians, Americans, Chinese, Koreans and Japanese mostly. I was the only one from Bangladesh on every server i went in, in both Zdaemon and Zandronum.

DMGUYDZ64 said:
Zakurum said:

-Egypt
-Morocco
-Saudi Arabia

Who would have thought, They got internet .

Kimo is from Egypt and I've seen him playing online, for Arabian guys, the only ones I've seen are argentinian guys faking their ips, who knows if some of the unexpected countries from these lists are other people doing that.

Ancalagon said:
DMGUYDZ64 said:

Who would have thought, They got internet .

Kimo is from Egypt and I've seen him playing online, for Arabian guys, the only ones I've seen are argentinian guys faking their ips, who knows if some of the unexpected countries from these lists are other people doing that.

For what purpose are they faking it?

invictius said:
Ancalagon said:

For what purpose are they faking it?

Probably it has something to do with the fact that they had enough of vote kicks.

Doomkid said:

Maybe the ping in Doom just seems worse due to the split-second nature of the game. Games with a slightly slower/more strategic approach would probably still be playable with a ping of 300 or below. I'm just guessing though, the only games I have much experience playing online are Doom, Street Fighter and Smash Bros which all get affected in a very similar way by high ping.

This is the right answer. The degree of disadvantage caused by latency depends on the game. Lag causes less of a disadvantage in MMOs compared to FPS games.

• Uruguay, only me and a handful of guys i saw a few times in the span of 6 years both in Zdaemon and Zandronum, probably i'm the only one from there who still plays Doom online.
  • Israel: I've only seen DoomJedi, and nobody else from there.
  • Macedonia.
  • Japan.
  • Kazakhstan.
  • Alleged North Korean: Probably not Kim Jong Un.

I know of at least 3 people from israel who played with some sort of regularity, but as for more obscure places, I've seen servers from:

Isle of Man

Pakistan

UAE

Kuwait

Botswana

South Africa

Thailand

Ghana

Trinidad and Tobago

Papua New Guinea

Cambodia

Nicaragua

image.png.430f4e678d3dc42a35b484065015ad5d.png

One ZDaemon server currently has a player from Iran. I feel like I've seen the Cuban player Memfis is talking about too, but I also can't say for certain.

1 hour ago, Eris Falling said:

image.png.430f4e678d3dc42a35b484065015ad5d.png

the Cuban player Memfis

Read that post half asleep,  kept wondering.