Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
baja blast rd.

*** The "ask a miscellaneous editing question" thread ***

Dragonfly said:

Assume anything that is part of level geometry is 100% hand-made.

That seems like a fair bit of advice. What made me curious is the fact that the curved staircases that I love so much (they make Oblige levels feel more like Doom) are plentiful in version 3.47 but nonexistent in 6.20 so I thought that surely there must be a setting of some sort that could perhaps be adjusted at the user level to modify the frequency. I'd been a bit spoiled by the fact that the frequency of basic square staircases are, in fact, adjustable in a lua. Being unfamiliar with the editing of Doom I wasn't sure what the possibilities and limitations were.

The first step toward all knowledge is the phrase "I don't know". :)

As far as Oblige is concerned, it could be prefabs or it could be generated automatically. You'd have to dig into the program's support files to check. I'm not sure where exactly, as I have never used it nor even downloaded it.

I've looked at a tutorial from a user named, "Gooberman" from the ZDoom Forums regarding Cameras and Interpolation. I have tried to recreate that tutorial without success.

I can get the camera to activate/deactivate and move, but the moving camera does not focus on the thing ID I told it to. I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. I have followed the tutorial seemingly to a T, but it doesn't work. What gives?

#...

Script 1 OPEN
{
   Thing_Deactivate(2); //if player moves the camera switches to the player "2"
   //is the camera
   Thing_Activate (2); //activates camera with tid of 2
   ChangeCamera (2,1,1); //camera, who it effects (1 is all), revert (switch to
   //player)
}
I've used the Moving camera just like in the example wad and everything looks the same. I made sure to set, "target thing tag" to 10 (which is the Demon). The cameras move, but it will not focus on the thing.

Addendum: http://www.mediafire.com/download/e6qbuijeb71fecr/cameratest.wad This is the wad I've made.

Here is Gooberman's example: http://www.mediafire.com/download/3zrxwjbevf1d015/camtut.zip

Addendum 2: I started over from scratch and now it works. I still have no idea why it doesn't work here though.

Sorry if it's a dumb question but I'm currently working a Boom-format map for the Mayhem project and I would like to use some of the more advanced features that are available for that source port. Where can I find a list of the available Boom tags?

scifista42 said:

Do you mean Boom predefined/generalized linedef actions and sector effects? Look out for boomref.txt (here is an interactive version) and boomedit.wad if needed an example wad.

Very helpful links. Thanks a bunch scifista42!

How would I go about making the player execute different scripts depending on the type of damage they've sustained?

Is there a reference of all of the DECORATE actor names in Doom 2?

Is there a similar thing for sounds and sprites? (I can find those with SLADE and the IWAD.)

Can I have lil question.

It's about breakable glass in Hexen Map01.

The glasses are set as "execute script" and it has three arguments. First is a sector with glass. Second tag is map spot that spanws glass shatters... But why there is the third tag? I didn't find anything marked with tag 4 or 6. Not a single thing.

Is it important?

Also I noticed the column nearby is unclosed sector. I have a legal version of hexen from steam - so this bug is here since always? :D

enkeli33 said:

It's about breakable glass in Hexen Map01.

There are 11 unclosed sectors, but that doesn't seem to interfere with gameplay.

Breakable glass is done through script 1.

//====================  script 1  ====================

script 1 (int arg0, int arg1, int arg2)
{
    int var0;

Floor_LowerInstant(arg0, 0, 16); 
    thingsound(arg1, "GlassShatter", 127);
    delay(const:1);
    var0 = 20;
    while(var0 > 0)
    {
        var0--;
	Thing_ProjectileGravity(arg1, random(54, 63), random(0, 255), random(10, 40), random(5, 20));
	Thing_ProjectileGravity(arg2, random(54, 63), random(0, 255), random(10, 40), random(5, 20));
    }
}

You'll notice that for each breakable glass linedef arg0 is the affected sector , arg1 and arg2 are the mapspot tids for the flying glass shards. These mapspots are overlapping.

Oh, so on the map spot thing is another map spot thing

so it makes even moar glass shatters

do I understand it right?

enkeli33 said:

Oh, so on the map spot thing is another map spot thing

so it makes even moar glass shatters

do I understand it right?

Exactly

NEANDERTHAL said:

How would I go about making the player execute different scripts depending on the type of damage they've sustained?

With Pain.DamageType states, probably.

Mars said:

Post deleted. I sorted my problem out. Sorry.

It'd be cool if you kept it up and then gave a solution to it so that other people can figure it out in the future.

scifista42 said:

Perhaps we'd figure it out if you shared the wad that didn't work.

The .wad that I posted doesn't work for me. I swear it.

Edit 1: It works in Zandronum 2.1.2.

Edit 2: It does not work in GZDoom 2.1.1

Edit 3: It works in ZDoom 2.8.1

scifista42 said:

Try 2.2pre.

It works in 2.2.

I really should start using the dev builds and the latest stuff. I guess I always assumed they might not be as stable, but I don't have any problem sending in a crash report.

Is there anyway to make a .bat or use an .ini file or anything to transfer key bindings/preferences over to new releases? It's not a big problem to reset them. Just curious.

I notice in the gzdoom-username.ini there is a section called:

Doom.Bindings. They are

Spoiler

[Doom.Bindings]
1=slot 1
2=slot 2
3=slot 3
4=slot 4
5=slot 5
6=slot 6
7=slot 7
8=slot 8
9=slot 9
0=slot 0
-=sizedown
Equals=sizeup
tab=togglemap
t=messagemode
LeftBracket=invprev
RightBracket=invnext
enter=invuse
ctrl=+attack
`=toggleconsole
shift=+speed
\=+showscores
,=+moveleft
.=+moveright
alt=+strafe
space=+use
capslock=toggle cl_run
f1=menu_help
f2=menu_save
f3=menu_load
f4=menu_options
f5=menu_display
f6=quicksave
f7=menu_endgame
f8=togglemessages
f9=quickload
f10=menu_quit
f11=bumpgamma
f12=spynext
sysrq=screenshot
pause=pause
home=land
uparrow=+forward
pgup=+moveup
leftarrow=+left
rightarrow=+right
end=centerview
downarrow=+back
pgdn=+lookup
ins=+movedown
del=+lookdown
mouse1=+attack
mouse2=+strafe
mouse3=+forward
mouse4=+speed
joy1=+attack
joy2=+strafe
joy3=+speed
joy4=+use
mwheelup=weapprev
mwheeldown=weapnext
mwheelright=invnext
mwheelleft=invprev
dpadup=togglemap
dpaddown=invuse
dpadleft=invprev
dpadright=invnext
pad_start=pause
pad_back=menu_main
lthumb=crouch
lshoulder=weapprev
rshoulder=weapnext
ltrigger=+altattack
rtrigger=+attack
pad_a=+use
pad_y=+jump

Okay... yeah. It looks like I can just copy and paste that section over.

cool

Gez said:

Your old ini should just keep working.

Alright. I can c/p the entirety of the old one over to the new version?

I wasn't sure if there was any point-release-specific stuff in there or not.

That's a pretty kickass tip.

Addendum(s):
So what do you guys do? Do you just replace the old folder? That seems like it'd make more sense. I've been keeping old copies and using the point release as the naming convention for the folder.

This is probably very telling, but it's pretty awesome that you can drag over your saved games too.

everennui said:

This is probably very telling, but it's pretty awesome that you can drag over your saved games too.

To a point. Sometimes backward save compatibility is broken because of internal changes.

everennui said:

Addendum(s):
So what do you guys do? Do you just replace the old folder?

It's enough to just take the files in the gzdoom zip and paste them over the files in your gzdoom folder, overwriting them. That way, you won't lose the other files already in your gzdoom folder, such as the ini or IWADs or your other wads there.

In decorate, how do I call multiple functions in one tic?

I've seen somebody's DECORATE use

States
    {
        Ready:
            EXPL A 1
            {
                A_Function
                A_Function
            }
    }
But when their DECORATE was run, GZDoom stated that there was a "Sprite names must be exactly 4 characters" error on that line. I tried with my DECORATE code, same thing.

Is there another way to call multiple DECORATE functions in one tic?

Yes, there is.

States
    {
        Ready:
            EXPL AA 0 A_Function
            EXPL A 1
    }
This will call "A_Function" twice (because there are 2 "A"s) within one tic (because duration is 0), then display "EXPL A" for one tic.

Here is also an equivalent of the same code:
    States
    {
        Ready:
            EXPL A 0 A_Function
            EXPL A 1 A_Function
    }
The former one might look "cleaner", though.

Is there a function in ACS or DECORATE that simply draws a line (not made of particles) from one point to another? I'm trying to make a mod that makes hitscan attacks make lines in the air for a blink of an eye.

No. Doom's renderer couldn't display such a line anyway (without some hypothetical "major refactoring" or whatever that I guess is infeasible to do), hence the feature doesn't exist. Railgun particles are the only option.

Would it not be possible by using a bunch of 1px x 1px square sprites in a long line? I'm sure at some angles it'll look jagged / dotted, but it could work?

I'd have a go but I'm at work (usual excuse it seems.) Good luck!

Dragonfly said:

Would it not be possible by using a bunch of 1px x 1px square sprites in a long line? I'm sure at some angles it'll look jagged / dotted, but it could work?

I'd have a go but I'm at work (usual excuse it seems.) Good luck!

Theoretically, but there are many problems with that. One of these being that each sprite would require an actor. If you need to spawn 4000 actors for a special effect, performances are going to suffer quite a bit.