Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DOOMGANGSTER

DOOM for IPAD IOS

Well, there is an official Doom port for 8 bucks on the App Store, not too bad overall although there are some pretty severe HOMs (visual glitches) in the second half of the iPad version. Gameception is basically the same thing but uses FreeDoom instead and allows you to load custom wad files.

Hopefully, beloko finishes the iOS port of D-Touch someday.

Have you tried HacX Classic?

DOOMGANGSTER said:

Thanks for the info. The Gameception version is on sale and have picked it up for 79p. Can't go wrong with that.

That was a smart choice. Gameception is based on the same source code that Doom IOS use... So you are getting the same engine, but without wads.

Almost every Boom compatible map i hear.

Why would it be sanctioned by the Freedoom devs?

i dunno, i guess i just thought it odd that a Doom port on iOS with Freedoom resources in it was being sold for money, and that it needed special permission for that. or maybe this is perfectly acceptable?

There is a bug in the official id port and in gameception where sprites behind other sprites might show up as being in front of the sprite. Not to mention the controls are bad for both.

Voros said:

Why isn't that stickied? You'd expect something like that be available easily to any potential "businessmen".

Someone has unstickied all the stickies from the Freedoom forum. It wasn't me. I suppose they had their reasons.

As a side note the author of gameception gave credits to Freedom, plus he released the source code for gameception, which is just a modified "Doom Classic" Source code.
The only real option for playing Doom 2 and custom wads on Iphone and Ipad.
Beloko port of Doom is much better than Doom Classic or Gameception, sadly is not avaible for Ios.

Wild Dog said:

Beloko port of Doom is much better than Doom Classic or Gameception, sadly is not avaible for Ios.

Yet. Beloko showed an alpha/beta version of GZdoom on iOS, the app called "D-Touch" on the screen.

Yes it's the "official" name he gave to the Doom Port. I didn't knew that he had a version for Ios in the making.
I really like his work, bought all of the ports before they were taken from Play Store.
I was able to beat both quake 1 and 2 on the ports he made, the controls are quite smooth.

DOOMGANGSTER said:

Is Doom for the IPad worth getting and does it do Doom justice?

It's not too pain as the UI takes time getting accustomed to along with movement but apart from that, it's not too bad.

Gentlepoke said:

It's not too pain as the UI takes time getting accustomed to along with movement but apart from that, it's not too bad.

Agree. But forget about beating the game on Nightmare....