Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
[McD] James

Predict the Rotten Tomatoes score for the upcoming Ghostbusters reboot

Justince said:

The real crime here is the possibility of more of this trash.

And the increasing power of corporations to completely manipulate and control social discourse.

People are still really upset and distressed over there being a female cast Ghostbusters, it looks like.

rileymartin said:

It's not about being inclusive towards women but about "sticking it to the white man" with that bragging about having mostly female production staff and all that nonsense.

In what way has there been any bragging about the production staff being mostly female? And don't link me that fucking photograph of the staff together, being happy for having jobs. A celebratory end of production photograph =/= bragging about sticking it to the white man.

Quasar said:

And the increasing power of corporations to completely manipulate and control social discourse.

This has been a prevalent issue for decades. A feminist retelling of a classic movie - one that goes against the grain of general Hollywood trends - is not a reasonable signifier for how much American media is brainwashing you. Your priorities have to be astoundingly out of whack to think this is the case.

TFW Quasar points out that this shitty film is being defended by certain people simply because it has an all female cast despite looking really shitty and an_mutt somehow hears that as "this film is shitty because wimmins".

Seriously, to pretend this film hasn't been defended by the mainstream is to wave off reality. There is a fabricated claim that everyone who dislikes it has to be some woman-hating basement dweller. That narrative is being pushed, all to defend a shitty attempt at a 'progressive' remake. Do I think it's ridiculous? Of course I do, but that doesn't just suddenly mean it isn't happening.

Most people think it looks bad because it looks bad. Or I mean we can go ahead and live in a fantasy world where a bunch of mainstream publications didn't lynch popular voices like AVGN for pointing out that the movie looks crappy and immediately assuming he "hates women". The reality is though, that DID happen. A narrative is being pushed. Do I think it's some big conspiracy or something? Of course not, but please stop pretending that naysayers haven't been portrayed in an extremely negative and hateful light for merely not wanting to go watch this film. The extreme divisiveness resulted from that rubbish, it didn't cause it.

I only bring this up because it's what's actually happening.

Sony and celebrities even hopped onto the bandwagon, which is really pathetic when professionals involved in the movie are playing the gender card.

MetroidJunkie said:

Sony and celebrities even hopped onto the bandwagon, which is really pathetic when professionals involved in the movie are playing the gender card.

Yeah, it's pretty sad that even celebrities like Patton Oswalt claim anyone who doesn't like this piece of trash has to be a woman hating mouth breather. I don't have it quoted exactly, but yes, he actually said that.

There are loads of examples of this pathetic cash grab being defended from any sort of criticism and labelling all critics as woman haters:

http://www.salon.com/2016/05/18/angry_video_game_nerds_calm_down_about_ghostbusters_its_still_a_comedy_about_ghosts_and_those_who_bust_them/

http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2016/05/the-sexist-outcry-against-the-ghostbusters-remake-gets-louder/483270/

https://www.pedestrian.tv/news/entertainment/ghostbusters-is-youtubes-most-hated-trailer-the-in/151bc115-3081-439b-af8d-b870d56c7ba0.htm

https://www.pedestrian.tv/news/entertainment/twitter-shits-itself-after-whiny-man-baby-refuses-/8204b8b3-fe2c-448b-a16b-61a850982e69.htm

http://www.deathandtaxesmag.com/291025/ghostbusters-james-rolfe-cinemassacre/

http://www.dailydot.com/unclick/ghostbusters-reboot-movie-critic-refuses-to-review/

Pretty fucking sad.

No kidding, it's one thing to have random people on the internet do this bullshit but professionals being paid should be above this. I would say Sony's involvement in this makes me want to swear off Sony products but it wouldn't make a difference because I already don't have a Ps4. #PCMasterRace

an_mutt said:

People are still really upset and distressed over there being a female cast Ghostbusters, it looks like.

IRRELEVANT. Absolutely irrelevant to its real problems.

an_mutt said:

In what way has there been any bragging about the production staff being mostly female? And don't link me that fucking photograph of the staff together, being happy for having jobs. A celebratory end of production photograph =/= bragging about sticking it to the white man.

Dude. They're holding up a sign that says "girl power." It's absolutely a statement.

Much to my surprise, I actually really enjoyed it. I think that may be in part because my expectations were so astronomically low, but it's easily one of the better movie remakes in recent memory.

It maintains a very steady pace, the dialogue is consistently quippy, the chemistry between the four leads is palpable, the 3D effects are well implemented, there's lots of clever nods to the original, and Kate McKinnon is all kinds of amazing.

On the flip side of things, while the movie is funny, I don't think it ever quite reaches the point of being downright hilarious. A handful of the jokes were complete misfires, but they were few and far between. Chris Hemsworth's character is also stupid to the point of unbelievability. None of his scenes amounted to much, and I just couldn't suspend my disbelief that anybody could ever be that dumb. The villain is also pretty weak. Everything about his personality and motivations just felt flat and two dimensional.

In conclusion, nothing groundbreaking or particularly original, but a fun little Summer diversion. Worth a rental, at the very least.

Haven't seen it myself yet, but I've heard pretty much the same thing: pretty alright, nothing amazing but still a fun watch, probably actually pretty comparable to Ghostbusters 1 for people who don't have nostalgia goggles fused into their skull.

So, yeah, I don't see the scores moving majorly. Maybe fluctuate somewhere into the 71% - 77% range, if they can anyway.

Frankly, everyone I'm hearing that from is flat-out stating the trailers are horrible at actually showing what the film is about. So if you're curious but were turned off by the trailers, just disregard them and see it anyway.

I heard there's a joke in there at the expense of the people who were criticizing it. I'll save my money out of principle. Maybe on Netflix. I am not giving them my money, though.

ChekaAgent said:

So you're younger than 13? These forums are 13+, kid, go away!

I'm almost 40, should I retire and go away?....Probably so. Let me go take my Geritol.

Doomkid said:

Pretty fucking sad.

So is Time's attempt at damage control "The Original wasn't even good anyway"

http://time.com/4404569/ghostbusters-nostalgia/

Nice clickbait.

-

I feel as though many people are using the outrage of how shit this film looks to try and prove that people hate women by claiming the outrage is about the fact that women are the main characters.

This may also be a clever marketing ploy actually, guilt people into liking it to prove that they ain't "sexist" so your movie does well, use a popular agenda to get followers who never truly gave a shit about your shit-wank film and at the same time demonize the nay sayers using buzzwords to silence critique or even nullify it.

mrthejoshmon said:

This may also be a clever marketing ploy actually, guilt people into liking it to prove that they ain't "sexist" so your movie does well, use a popular agenda to get followers who never truly gave a shit about your shit-wank film and at the same time demonize the nay sayers using buzzwords to silence critique or even nullify it.

Exactly, thank you.

How to counter the people claiming it's just because they hate female leads: Star Wars Force Awakening was very successful and critically acclaimed, despite the main character being female. It's not the female leads that piss people off, it's the complete lack of respect to the original story.

MetroidJunkie said:

How to counter the people claiming it's just because they hate female leads: Star Wars Force Awakening was very successful and critically acclaimed, despite the main character being female. It's not the female leads that piss people off, it's the complete lack of respect to the original story.

The movie has a lot more respect for the original story (not to mention originality of its own) than Ghostbusters 2 does. For the record, I like Ghostbusters 2, even though it was a completely unnecessary retread (which is pretty much exactly the same way I feel about Predators and Terminator 3).

Hard to claim, then, that the nerd community is simply sexist and against female leads of any kind. You can have female leads and still stay true to the lore of it all. Another good example I think is The Legend of Korra, I didn't see any Avatar the Last Airbender fans raising a fuss about the main lead being female.

Ajora said:

The movie has a lot more respect for the original story

By just ripping it off completely? :~)

Tarnsman said:

By just ripping it off completely? :~)

By that logic, I suppose you could call any remake a ripoff of its own source material.

Ajora said:

By that logic, I suppose you could call any remake a ripoff of its own source material.

Well most remakes aren't sequels to the thing they're remaking.

Tarnsman said:

Well most remakes aren't sequels to the thing they're remaking.

The movie isn't set in the same universe as the first two films. It's a complete reboot.

Ajora said:

The movie isn't set in the same universe as the first two films. It's a complete reboot.

Sorry I thought you were talking about The Force Awakens not the new Ghostbusters.

So I just saw it and I thought it was okay. The first few minutes of the film are pretty well done and they nicely combine comedy and horror just like the original films. Things did go down hill once the character of Holtzmann, played by Kate McKinnon, was introduced. While the other 3 main leads mesh pretty well and all provide a good bit of comedy almost everything Holtzman does just falls completely flat and she really does bring down the whole film down a bit. As far as the other characters go Chris Hemsworth character Kevin is overly dumb and unbelievable, but does provide for a few laughs at least. The main villain Rowan, is pretty uninteresting and doesn't leave much of an impression. Many of the cast from the original films make small cameos in the new movie, the best of which was Dan Aykroyd as a cabbie.

Overall the film is pretty funny, but it does really pale in comparison to the original, one of the bigger issues this film had was that it's pacing was a bit off. The middle of this film really dragged quite a bit & I found that there was too much techno jargon in it. In the original films they might have a line or 2 about how the technology & paranormal stuff works, but in this film they go a bit overboard, it's all just nonsense anyways so why even try to make sense of it in the first place. One aspect of this film that I did like over the original is an expanded arsenal beyond just the proton packs.

Going into this film I didn't expect this movie to be the abysmal disaster that everyone was saying it was going to be, but I also didn't think it was going to be great either. In the end I got exactly what I expected, a retelling of Ghostbusters that had it's fair share of laughs & scares, but wasn't nearly as good as the original.

Tarnsman said:

Sorry I thought you were talking about The Force Awakens not the new Ghostbusters.

Well, at least I wasn't the only one.