Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Track most representing of Doom?

Which track best fits the overall mood, style, atmosphere and gameplay of Doom in your opinion?

Edited by Guest

For me it's "Sinister". Imo, it perfectly describes the situation the player is in, fighting demons alone in some creepy hell corridors. When i think of Doom, this track is what usually plays in my head..

Also, on subject there was this thread, which happens to be the first thread i've ever posted in :).

The waltz of demons, the song gets progressively more intense and epic which I find represents Doom perfectly.

Is it real bad of me to say At Doom's Gate?

It's recognizable, stands out, and just gives you the essence of the game: thrash metal.

PureSlime said:

It's recognizable, stands out, and just gives you the essence of the game: thrash metal.

It is the first soundtrack you hear in the game anyways..

At Doom's Gate from e1m1. It's an obvious pick, but it does a great job at setting the tone for the game and being a nice heavy metal track.

E1M4's gives a good example of how frantic can the action get, while E2M6's shows the darker, scarier side of the game, but At Doom's Gate is possibly the one most people recognize when talking about Doom.

Lets see.

Something that represents dread, hopelessness, something that still shows a bit of hope of left, at the same time.

I would say E1M3.

Doom can be spooky and tense, but also fast and relentless. I pick "Demons on the Prey" (E1M7). Honorable mentions are "Nobody Told Me About id" (E2M5), "Countdown to Death" (map 3), "Shawn's Got the Shotgun" (map 7), and "The Demon's Dead" (map 10).

I'm just gonna be the odd man out here and say it's The Imp's Song. It's the perfect melding of Doom's more ambient music themes with its driving, chord progression-based rock tracks. It's also perfectly placed in the 2nd level, when the map design suddenly gets an order of magnitude more complex than E1M1, the stakes are raised a bit, and the initial "yeah, this is awesome" rush of the first level with At Doom's Gate blasting gives way to what gave Doom its real flavor -- that creepy, Aliens-esque vibe.

At Doom's Gate is basically "The Doom Song™" really...anybody who's heard it before will instantly recognise it.

For some reason, I'm very partial to Untitled.

I'm not sure why but this theme, to me, does well to represent the grind that Doom Guy has to go through.

I would say PSX's Main Theme, but I will stay in Doom 1:

The Untitled one (E3M1).

I am the most fond of this one. The BGM for the starting levels of the original Doom (E1M1, E2M1, E3M1) are all fast-paced, heavy metal-inspired pieces of a tune (to say it in this weird way). Albeit Doom 1 is more of a mix of satanic horror and science fiction action film, and thus there is no "right" music that serves as its "actual" representative, I always liked E3M1 BGM very much. Admittedly, I just enjoy its fast melody that warms me up to taking the fight to the demons' home, but still it brings something else to my mind. Is it not the song of REVENGE!!! (oh, the thinly veiled irony :D)? You finally get tired at demons' shenanigans and decide to take at the army of them in Hell itself in hopes of stopping armageddon at its source, fueled by the feelings of hatred-horror brought about by demon-borne slaughter in UAC compounds. Or something like that... but then again, this is only one of many interpretations of what "Doom essence" is.
Or alternatively...
[no 4th wall mode]
Maybe you just want to wield big loud guns, battle ugly and powerful monsters, and take some names all by yourself? You like it, Player? Alright, there is this awesome soundtrack with no name, now godspeed and many kills for you![no 4th wall mode off]
Yeah, this is what is Doom about, for me.

Darklordrobert said:

The PSX title theme, whenever I see the Doom logo I think of that song.

Either this or "Sign of Evil"

PureSlime said:

Lots of people say this but the game's tracks are split between heavy-metal style ones and spooky atmospheric ones. In fact there seem to be more of the latter than the former. Both contribute to the style of the game and there's no track that bridges the two styles, so I find it hard to pick a single track.

fraggle said:

Lots of people say this but the game's tracks are split between heavy-metal style ones and spooky atmospheric ones. In fact there seem to be more of the latter than the former. Both contribute to the style of the game and there's no track that bridges the two styles, so I find it hard to pick a single track.

TNT Evilution even had a track that was just straight up morbid.

The fact that it plays predominantly in the intermission screen with the Marine looking somberly into the distance doesn't help, either. Oh wait, Doom 1 had a morbid track too:

The former track is very morbid, the latter, not nearly as much. I'd say "melancholy" is a good descriptor as well.