Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Brad_tilf

Who is good at the more complex stuff?

I want to be able to use some of the more advanced features - integers, etc... but really don't know what I would use them for, or how. Any good videos on how to use those advanced features?

VentedPennies said:

Not helpful. First - not what I asked. Personally, I just want a really basic tutorial on using integers. Good luck finding that. Anyone got one or want to make one (from scratch?). For instance, use an integer to open a door after x number of enemies have been killed. Could use a counter, but if you're spawning in waves you might not have an exact number to work with.

Brad_tilf said:

Not helpful. First - not what I asked. Personally, I just want a really basic tutorial on using integers. Good luck finding that. Anyone got one or want to make one (from scratch?). For instance, use an integer to open a door after x number of enemies have been killed. Could use a counter, but if you're spawning in waves you might not have an exact number to work with.

How is that not helpful? He sent you to tutorials about your exact question. There are literally videos in the links he sent you that tell you how simple integers work. This community I swear. Never have I seen advice so negatively received. There is also tutorials in the actual game. Know how I learnt how integers worked? I watch a tutorial on checkpoints.

Bunch of know it alls with no answers.

You will use WHILE and if you are spawning new monsters you will give them a new spawn ID after they spawn. My DUMP 3 map has an example of this at the very end. Find it on the zdoom forums. Show some effort that you're trying to understand how it works and I will help you.

No one is going to do the work for you.

Edit: Derp. I see this is for snap map.

HALFRATS PS4 said:

How is that not helpful? He sent you to tutorials about your exact question. There are literally videos in the links he sent you that tell you how simple integers work. This community I swear. Never have I seen advice so negatively received. There is also tutorials in the actual game. Know how I learnt how integers worked? I watch a tutorial on checkpoints.

Bunch of know it alls with no answers.

No, he sent me a video of him (or someone) giving a tutorial on the snapmap basic tutorial (I requested more complex tutorials).That is not helpful. The 2nd one brought me to a page with no specific video - his page maybe? Not sure. Personally, I just felt like I was being directed to a video to up the video count and not to actually answer the question I asked.

So, is this tutorial on checkpoints in the snapmap tutorials or is it on youtube. If it's on youtube, do you have a link?
I'm getting better with the counters and logic flow which is a good start but understanding integers and booleans would be very beneficial, I'm sure.

No, I sent you to channels to two people who have created multiple videos on many different functions in SNAPMAP. Yes, you had to actually look at what I sent you and click to the video you're looking for, so I'm sorry I didn't hold your hand entirely during your training potty phase.

But since you seem to be completely numb in the brain, here's the playlist for snapmap tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xUZjK3ITrM&list=PLasnuRdgB3SXWrb6g5q6Zue4uSPxM2Q4q
and there's a mini-menu on the right side of the video that you can click on and use your mouse to scroll down with. You can keep scrolling until the end of the bar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVKKnWMiiNU&list=PL8nP-N0RJy1ZlR32Jn-eo0gK1o9g-JtGg
There's more with that same weird mini-menu function on the right-hand side of the video.

That's about as much hand-holding as I'm doing because now I got shit on my hands.

everennui said:

You will use WHILE and if you are spawning new monsters you will give them a new spawn ID after they spawn. My DUMP 3 map has an example of this at the very end. Find it on the zdoom forums. Show some effort that you're trying to understand how it works and I will help you.

No one is going to do the work for you.

Edit: Derp. I see this is for snap map.

Not asking for anyone to do the work for me. Asking for an example of it in use and how it was constructed so that I can understand the concept better and apply in my own ways. I'll look for your map so I can see what you did.

I wasn't smart enough to read that you're looking for help in Snapmap. I assume it would be a similar function, but I don't know shit about Doom 2016.

VentedPennies said:

Thanks for those two links! They're really helping me on my current map. Especially DR PLAYS's tutorial for teleporters and traps. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tu39NjOJXWA&index=3&list=PL8nP-N0RJy1ZlR32Jn-eo0gK1o9g-JtGg

MasterFuton said:

Thanks for those two links! They're really helping me on my current map. Especially DR PLAYS's tutorial for teleporters and traps. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tu39NjOJXWA&index=3&list=PL8nP-N0RJy1ZlR32Jn-eo0gK1o9g-JtGg

I finally found my answer to integers which, as it turned out, was stupidly simple (as I knew it would be) but I didn't know how to put it together in the map. If it had been in an actual program it would have been on "Event" send count to integer" when event is done (wave), send out another wave and add to the count, then creating a new weapon and health/armor to play with. Really easy. I just wasn't able to see how I connected to the original integer. You can do it by name, which is awesome and, actually, using a sequencer simplifies the code immensely

Brad_tilf said:

I finally found my answer to integers which, as it turned out, was stupidly simple (as I knew it would be) but I didn't know how to put it together in the map. If it had been in an actual program it would have been on "Event" send count to integer" when event is done (wave), send out another wave and add to the count, then creating a new weapon and health/armor to play with. Really easy. I just wasn't able to see how I connected to the original integer. You can do it by name, which is awesome and, actually, using a sequencer simplifies the code immensely

That's really cool, never thought of using a sequencer.