Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Faceman

STRONGHOLD v2.0 [QCA7N2PG]

I just recently updated my 3rd Snapmap called "STRONGHOLD" to version 2.0!

MAP ID: QCA7N2PG

STRONGHOLD v2.0 is a survival, base building map with a wide multitude of features and randomization to encourage high replayability. The map took well over 50+ hours to complete and my goal was to create a lasting "wave type gamemode" that would allow DOOM players to have access to a high quality survival map that they could continuously play with their friends or on their own without the experience getting stale. I may add one or two small updates in the future, or when Snapmap is updated but for the most part this map is in its final form. If you and/or your friends play it I would love to hear your thoughts, and if you record a video of the gameplay I will definitely check it out! If you run into any bugs or have any recommendations/criticisms about the map I would love to hear them!

FEATURES:

- A individual currency system that allows players to purchase personal upgrades and weapons
- A team currency system that allows for teams to purchase team upgrades and/or fortifications for the STRONGHOLD
- A food system that encourages resource management by giving buffs to players who maintain their food levels
- A Sacrificial Shrine to the Blood God where players can trade their health for a random blessing from the Blood God (Quad Damage, Haste, Regen, Heavy Weapons, Servants of the Blood God and more!)
- A STRONGHOLD health system that depletes whenever a possessed scientist, engineer or worker makes it past the threshold, once it reaches 0 the game ends
- A Life system (with extra lives that can be bought) that will end the game if all lives are taken up
- A "Hell" buff (Shield/Ammo regen & +25% DMF) that activates when players are brave enough to face the demons of Hell head on in the same module as the Hell Portals
- A random Event system that sometimes triggers during waves, tasking the players with solving or dealing with a problem (such as a Demon Rune that gives 2x DMG to demons until it is destroyed, or a poison protein event that makes the players pick up antidotes to cure an ailment which slowly drains their health, and many more events)
- Random waves that are generated on the fly, allowing for a very high degree of variability from wave to wave
- 3 Boss encounters that can be triggered once at least 2 waves have been completed (these bosses are the God of Rot, God of Greed and the Four Horsemen)
- Random challenges that can be triggered to add even more variety to the game, and give players a break from the constant carnage (Dodge The Pinkies, Soul Hunter, and Team Race)

Between all these random features that are available the map provides an extremely high level of variability and replayability! I would love to hear feedback from anyone that play! If you would like to check out the trailer for the map you can view it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ma-Qcz3J6RQ

Calling a copyright strike cause it sounds SO SIMILAR TO MY WAVE MAPS, ya bitch.

Jokes aside, this sounds DAMN FUN. I am defintely gonna give this a shot. I love me some wavemodes, and this sounds like my kind of interest! HELL, i may learn some new things for me own map!

Will give a review, maybe even an in-depth one!

Potatoguy said:

Calling a copyright strike cause it sounds SO SIMILAR TO MY WAVE MAPS, ya bitch.

Jokes aside, this sounds DAMN FUN. I am defintely gonna give this a shot. I love me some wavemodes, and this sounds like my kind of interest! HELL, i may learn some new things for me own map!

Will give a review, maybe even an in-depth one!

Cool! Definitely lemme know how it goes!

So i wrote a lot. Like more than i should of. But all required for a map like this.

Difficulty:

Spoiler

3/5 – The forces DO get harder and harder! But most enemies were easily beaten with my rocket/supershotty combo. Especially with a damage boost! But this is just my playthrough. Others will try other guns, other upgrades, other ideas. So the difficulty is versatile.
HOWEVER… The difficulty is still 3/5 due to all of the enemies spawning in just one small room. You can pretty much mow every enemy down by strafing at the entrance until time’s up. Doesn’t help that all the enemies are somewhat slow enemies (Like mancubus, cacodemons, and pinkies). With all enemies condensed into one small area, difficulty can otherwise be simple with just any crowd-cleaning weapons.

Map Design:
Spoiler

2/5 – The biggest BIGGEST issue of this entire map. You only got the stronghold room, and the bedroom-size room where every enemy spawns from. Now this map needs no props or fancy smashy stuff; that’s not it’s intention! But only having one small room for everything to come through is pretty, well, easy. Easy to finish off every enemy coming if they just come from one door. Also I never new what those terminals in said room was for.

Sound: 4/5 – THE MUSIC RAMPS UP. That is GREAT! I love it when maps change music! Especially when it gets more intense! Also no spoilers, cause this is a short stub of critique.

Uniqueness:
Spoiler

5/5 – I WILL NEVER PLAY ANY OTHER MAP LIKE THIS. I’ll have to TRY to find a map like this. Like go into a scientific research project, go into database, just to find any map like this. The joke I said of this map being a rip-off of my own is now mute and retarded. CAUSE THIS IS TOO ORIGINAL! Hold off your base (which is a computer turned sideway, I think) from the unyielding horde of Cyberdemon’s anus! It’s RIVETING, and original, and FUN AS ALL HELL.

Technicality:
Spoiler

6/5 – Do I even need to critique this? Random events, a shop system, a tower defense game mode simulation, ramping up difficulty, upgrades, FUCKING EATING. Holy hell, the logic of this map must look like a fucking SPIDER WEB. I downloaded this map so I can see the logic, which I haven’t yet. But props. Much props. All the props, to you!

And then comes my last critque: Gameplay.
Spoiler

?/5 – THIS IS HARD TO CRITIQUE. I can’t even give it a score for how confused I am for this! You see, this is my biggest gripe…..
I don’t like this game-type.
NOT THE ACTION, that’s perfect! The engrossing onslaught of enemies coming to tear you apart is amazingly fun! Especially after wave 3, where the room they spawn is just pure red, from all the blood that splurged everywhere.
NOT THE MODE IDEA. This is a tower defense made first person. With upgrades to yourself and your base, this is a game mode that can be very fun for the options you can purchase! The constant danger of keeping your base intact always keeps you on edge, and keeps the action rolling!
But my gripe is this map’s longevity. You see, I never in my life will ever like Black Ops zombie. And this is a subjective view, obviously. It’s fun at first of how you blow enemies, and unlock more options to find the increasingly difficult zombie horde. It’s fun!
At first.
This is why I probably won’t play this map again. It’s has a very fun premise! A good thrill of action and destruction. But I see no end to it. Up to wave 5, it all started to feel same-y. Blow the enemies, buy the ammo/hp, upgrade anything, etc. etc. It started to lose its luster. I… need an end to something. Cause like BOZ, it’s never ending. There’s no point for me to continue if I’ll never win. It gets repetitive, too!
So this is me, just me. Others may like the endless battle, and I did see an increase of enemy health/damage, so there is progression! But without any signs of an end, I have no incentive to continue on. I’m sorry. But for me, this is a 2/5. But for everyone else that enjoys this, it’s easily a 4/5

Final thoughts:
Spoiler

So yes, this map is great. But flawed at times. It has a great game mode, and quite a lot of action! But it can be improved. Here’s an idea: if possible, IF YOU CAN…
Make more than one way for demons to come in. Modules can have 4 entrances, from north, south, east and west. If enemies came from more than one way, then this mode will lose its repetitive nature and have a much longer longetivity to it! This may sound ungodly hard to do, since you CLEARLY put so much work to what you have. But if you can make more than one way for enemies to spawn in, then do so. Cause a stronghold will truly be a stronghold to defend if enemies come from all sides, not just the gate.

Good game, man. Keep making great maps.

Potatoguy said:

So i wrote a lot. Like more than i should of. But all required for a map like this.

Final thoughts:

Spoiler

So yes, this map is great. But flawed at times. It has a great game mode, and quite a lot of action! But it can be improved. Here’s an idea: if possible, IF YOU CAN…
Make more than one way for demons to come in. Modules can have 4 entrances, from north, south, east and west. If enemies came from more than one way, then this mode will lose its repetitive nature and have a much longer longetivity to it! This may sound ungodly hard to do, since you CLEARLY put so much work to what you have. But if you can make more than one way for enemies to spawn in, then do so. Cause a stronghold will truly be a stronghold to defend if enemies come from all sides, not just the gate.

Good game, man. Keep making great maps.

Wow man! Absolutely wonderful and insightful review, I've taken everything down for note and I think I am going to take much of what you said and build a brand new 3.0 update for the map! I'll go over my plans here to let you know what I have in mind. I'll probably finish the update in the next few days to week.

MAJOR CHANGES:

- Change the pool of enemies that I currently have the waves spawning from. I get what you're saying that the slow enemies are pretty easy to handle. To combat this I am going to increase the amount of Imps, Hell Knights, Revenant and Security Enemies to push you further back into your base more frequently.
- After a wave or two an event will commence that will open a few portals around your stronghold, some enemies will be able to attack from these portals as well. Making you split your attention across multiple entrances instead of just the one.
- Add a final end boss, which will almost be impossible to reach but will allow players to beat the game. There are currently 3 bosses in the map (not sure if you happen to encounter any) but after you beat these three bosses the final boss will appear. Which upon being defeated will end the game in victory.

MINOR CHANGES:

- Rework the food system to play a more active role in the gameplay, most likely remove the protein harvest machines and replace these with a higher random drop from enemies. (This is mostly to free up space as I am currently at 97% and need room for more pressing game mechanics).
- Optimize, optimize, optimize.
- Increase chances of boss fights over random waves (currently AFTER 2 waves are beaten there begins a 3/12 chance to encounter a boss, this will be increased).
- Minor aesthetic changes.
- Rework difficulty scaling.
- Add an outline that notifies players that the game can be beat if you play long enough!

Thanks so much for the input. I will defs be fixing a lot of the issues that you brought forward in this next update!

Good good! I hope other people play your map [which they have, when i seen the Map Info]. And the improvements your going to make will DEFINITELY make this map a LOT better!

3/12 chance thats 1/4. Anyway i'm *******ely. gonna try that map, although i am not the fan of bo: zombies.
And well said about the neverending gameplay. I like to clock games :)

3.0 UPDATE NOW LIVE!

CHANGE LOG:

- Reworked food system; food is now replenished through a random protein bar drop from demons (1 Player: 4%, 2: 8%, 3: 12%, 4: 16%). This was mostly to free up room for other changes but also now makes purchasing the PROTEIN 2 GO base upgrade much more valuable.
- Protein Harvester Shutdown event removed (because of the reworked food system); currently nothing replaces it but a small update with a new event (or 2!) will be released in the next few days. EDIT: A event called "Famine" has been added.
- After 2 waves are completed an event now takes place that opens two portals within your stronghold. This forces players to maintain more than just the one entrance and also adds to the variability of each wave!
- Added a final boss that can be beaten once you defeat the three other bosses. Beating the final boss will now win the game!
- Reworked bosses to balance difficulty as well as chance of spawn.
- All known bugs fixed. (Let me know if anyone runs into a new bug).
- Optimized much of the logic.
- Small aesthetic changes.

If anyone has any recommendations or bug reports please let me know!