Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Impie

Operation Body Count (Canceled)

https://deadendsolutions.files.wordpress.com/2014/06/obc-rm-screenie.png?w=311&h=220

CANCELED

The Tunnel Rats are back! After kicking Aniki's ass at the end of Nerves of Steel, their vacation is interrupted by a takeover of the U.N. Headquarters during a summit meeting. The HORUS terrorist organization has brought enough firepower to level a continent, and only Torrez and Storm are tough enough (and crazy enough) to go in after them.

So after finishing Nerves of Steel -- a remake of one of the worst fps games ever made -- I thought, "What if I made sequels that were also remakes of bad DOS-era fps games, using the same protagonists?" I had a few obscure map projects on my hard drive that fit the bill, finished/reworked them, and ended up with a three-level remake of Operation Body Count. Don't know when I'll finish it, but I do intend to at some point, and I'd love to try the same thing with other terrible shooters like Island Peril and Angst: Rahz's Revenge.

Check out the demo and lemme know what you think.

Man, so many interesting WADs to play nowadays, yet so little time to play them all! I am not even done with Nerves of Steel and Strange Aeons... :(

Anyway, what nationality is HORUS supposed to be?

They're basically a spoof of ISIS. I'm not sure exactly what language they're speaking, since I'm not familiar with middle eastern dialects. It could be gibberish for all I know.

Oh, you mean they were not called HORUS in the original game?

Damnit, there I was thinking a crappy Wolfenstein 3D clone somehow predicted ISIS... :/

Anyway, have you considered using a different font than Hacx's? It can be quite difficult to read at times.

I agree, I just don't know a better one to use yet, nor how to implement them except via Slade.

According to the manual, the mutant rats are supposed to be hostile to everyone, yet in the very first level, they are seen fighting alongside HORUS. Maybe it would make more sense to have them replaced with Nerves of Steel's attack dogs in non-sewers levels.

JohnnyTheWolf said:

According to the manual, the mutant rats are supposed to be hostile to everyone, yet in the very first level, they are seen fighting alongside HORUS. Maybe it would make more sense to have them replaced with Nerves of Steel's attack dogs in non-sewers levels.

They only periodically appear outside of the sewer level, which is where they repeatedly attack terrorists in "scripted" events.

Just took the time to watch the video you made. I like the concept, much like the Nerves of Steel remake. One idea I have if your interested, is to give the suicide bombers bullet proof vests, that force the player to target the head(much like how in Brutal Doom, shooting an enemy in the head multiples damage). Doing so would force the player to change tactics more often, forcing players to get a decent distance from the suicide bombers, and use an accurate weapon to target the head. It up to you of course if you want to make use of this idea. I'll leave it up to you.