Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MrGlide

replacing the trooper functionally with ss guard.

Would this be ok with most people, Would people lioke this change on a megawad? It would add a little more veriety I think. I'm just suprised more people havn't done this yet and was wondering if there was a reason why? (of course pallet swapping the ss guard so he doesn't look silly)

I think its the sounds and sprites that give it away- some maps DO use them with sprite replacements or dehacked with the colour changed...usually some kind of plasma spam thing :V

MrGlide said:

I'm just suprised more people havn't done this yet and was wondering if there was a reason why?

Because it's easier (no work on the wad creator's part) and safer (no potential for complaints from players who are very used to Doom's exact game mechanics and monster behaviors). That doesn't mean it's inherently bad, especially if you're going to make good use of the beefed-up monster's threat, as opposed to either a negligible or an overly annoying use.

Ya, I'm working on sprite replacment for them now, wich iv switched that over to slade so I stay within the pallet, still learning how to do a pallet swap and make it look nice or natural. @rdwpa, that patch XD. I just really like the idea of having more interestinf trash to deal with, and I want it to look realy natural as if it were suposed to be in the game. I think the ss gaurd is a cool enemy but with his current sprites it feels weird and goofy (understandably). I might make a 3 round burst plamsa zombie (pallet swap of the player) and see how that works out as well. Aslo do you guys think people would freak out if the pain elemental was somehow given a bite attack?

I personally think that random small changes to default enemy behaviors are annoying if the player encounters them unexpectedly, and thus if you want to change a monster's behavior, then make it clearly communicated to the player that its behavior is going to be different than he'd expect. The best way I know of is to make the monster use custom sprites in addition to their different behavior - but if the monster with the custom sprites still behaves way too similar to the original, barring a single tiny difference only noticeable under specific circumstances, it might be annoying anyway. Thus, maybe make him move noticeably faster during its walking animation, or something clearly visible as different from its default form. Then again, this is just what I'd do.