Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Burktross

Custom Weapon Sprites

I may be wrong here, but your sprite graphics are not in the correct namespace. If you're working with a WAD, they go in SS_START/SS_END markers. If you're working with a PK3, they have to be in /sprites (at the minimum). Something like /sprites/weapons/ssg will also work.

Nevander said:

I may be wrong here, but your sprite graphics are not in the correct namespace. If you're working with a WAD, they go in SS_START/SS_END markers. If you're working with a PK3, they have to be in /sprites (at the minimum). Something like /sprites/weapons/ssg will also work.

Fantastic, that worked. But now I have another problem for some reason. The weapon deviation angles stopped working.

What could I be doing wrong? It was fine just a moment ago.

The parameter "1" (FBF_EXPLICITANGLE) in the "flags" field is the most likely cause.

Do you have A_ReFire at the end of the Fire state?

I had a similar problem before where my chaingun inherited weapon wouldn't fire with a spread pattern and it's because I didn't have that.

See this example:

Fire:
	UZIF A 0
	UZIF A 0 A_PlaySound("weapons/uzifire", CHAN_WEAPON, 1, 0, ATTN_NORM)
	UZIF B 0 A_GunFlash
	UZIF B 0 A_FireBullets(2.6, 0, 1, 6, "BulletPuff")
	UZIF B 0 A_FireCustomMissile("DummyProjectile6", 0 , 0, 0, 0, 0, 0)
	UZIF AB 1 BRIGHT
	UZIF C 1
	UZIG A 1
	UZIG A 0 A_ReFire
	Goto Ready
If you already have that then I'm not sure what's wrong without seeing the whole actor. EDIT: Or what scifista said lol.

scifista42 said:

The parameter "1" (FBF_EXPLICITANGLE) in the "flags" field is the most likely cause.

Weasel said that was ammo usage though, no? If I set it to zero, it uses no ammo, if I remove it outright, it doesn't do anything.

Nevander said:

Do you have A_ReFire at the end of the Fire state?

I had a similar problem before where my chaingun inherited weapon wouldn't fire with a spread pattern and it's because I didn't have that.

See this example:

Fire:
	UZIF A 0
	UZIF A 0 A_PlaySound("weapons/uzifire", CHAN_WEAPON, 1, 0, ATTN_NORM)
	UZIF B 0 A_GunFlash
	UZIF B 0 A_FireBullets(2.6, 0, 1, 6, "BulletPuff")
	UZIF B 0 A_FireCustomMissile("DummyProjectile6", 0 , 0, 0, 0, 0, 0)
	UZIF AB 1 BRIGHT
	UZIF C 1
	UZIG A 1
	UZIG A 0 A_ReFire
	Goto Ready
If you already have that then I'm not sure what's wrong without seeing the whole actor. EDIT: Or what scifista said lol.

Here's the entirety of the code. Refire definitely works, but it makes it fire at twice the rate, unfortunately.

When setting flags to functions in DECORATE, I recommend you to use the flag names directly (in your case, FBF_USEAMMO), as opposed to numbers (the flag value 1 apparently doesn't correspond to FBF_USEAMMO).

Also, FBF_USEAMMO is set to "true" by default anyway, so your mistake was avoidable if you just didn't set any flags.

To get a list of valid flags usable in each DECORATE function, see its reference on the zdoom wiki. In your case: http://zdoom.org/wiki/A_FireBullets

scifista42 said:

When setting flags to functions in DECORATE, I recommend you to use the flag names directly (in your case, FBF_USEAMMO), as opposed to numbers (the flag value 1 apparently doesn't correspond to FBF_USEAMMO).

Also, FBF_USEAMMO is set to "true" by default anyway, so your mistake was avoidable if you just didn't set any flags.

To get a list of valid flags usable in each DECORATE function, see its reference on the zdoom wiki. In your case: http://zdoom.org/wiki/A_FireBullets

I'm being completely thrown off by the inconsistency though. This code uses the flag set, but it works completely fine.

//Debug Junky
ACTOR DebugJunkyGun : Weapon 16002
{
Inventory.PickupMessage "Please God please.  Fix this code or kill me."
Weapon.AmmoType "Shell"
Weapon.AmmoUse 1
Weapon.AmmoGive 16
Weapon.SlotNumber 4
AttackSound "weapons/shotgf"
States
{
Spawn:
SHOT A -1
Stop
Ready:
SHTG B 1 A_WeaponReady
Loop
Select:
SHTG A 1 A_Raise
Loop
Deselect:
SHTG A 1 A_Lower
Loop
Fire:
SHTG A 0 A_GunFlash
SHTG A 1 A_FireBullets(5.5, 3, 8, 4, "BulletPuff", 1)
SHTG A 1 Offset(0,40)
SHTG A 1 Offset(0,48)
SHTG A 1 Offset(0,44)
SHTG A 1 Offset(0,40)
SHTG A 1 Offset(0,37)
SHTG A 1 Offset(0,35)
SHTG A 3
Goto Ready
Flash:
SHTF A 2 BRIGHT A_Light2
SHTF B 2 BRIGHT A_Light1
TNT1 A 1 A_Light0
Goto LightDone
}
}

Well, I found the source of the issue. When the gun fires only one bullet at a time, it ignores accuracy. 2+ hitscans at once fix it. What's the workaround for this?

The numbers corresponding to specific flags may* change between different versions of ZDoom or whatever ZDoom-based port you're using, which is why it's safer to use the flag names directly.

* Even though they usually don't.

EDIT:

Burktross said:

When the gun fires only one bullet at a time, it ignores accuracy.

The zdoom wiki article describes this situation. It says:

The first bullet fired in the Fire (not Hold) sequence normally ignores the spread and is always perfectly accurate. Setting numbullets to a negative value removes this effect.

scifista42 said:

The numbers corresponding to specific flags may* change between different versions of ZDoom or whatever ZDoom-based port you're using, which is why it's safer to use the flag names directly.

* Even though they usually don't.

EDIT:
The zdoom wiki article describes this situation. It says:

Yeah, I can't believe I missed that >.<

Thanks for the help though, y'all.