Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Linguica

Cacowards 2016 Nomination Thread

Scuba Steve said:

Don't forget; DooD came out this year, too.

I think this calls for a Double Mockaward this year *hint hint*

alterworldruler said:

Agreed, both the Seinfeld map and DooD are fantastic and deserving of recognition!

Adding Somewhere in Time to my list of recommendations. I'm not sure if I'll end up thinking it's one of the 10 best wads of 2016 by the end of the year, but it's definitely worthy of consideration.

+1 for the Japanese Community Project. Those guys deserve more recognition.

For Best Gameplay Mod, I would nominate Project Brutality, but I'm not sure if it is eligible. Can a mod of a Cacoward winnner win an award itself? I don't know if that's ever come up.

As for the Espi Award, there's no contest. It's got to be Linguica.

alterworldruler said:

Clearly DooD should win the "MockawawakcoM".

terminator44 said:

Project Brutality

at least brutal doom has gotten better with each version. preject brutality is one of the most unpolished ugly things i've ever played

raymoohawk said:

at least brutal doom has gotten better with each version. preject brutality is one of the most unpolished ugly things i've ever played

Project Brutality is improving as well. There's a new version coming soon which promises to rework the gore and many of the sprites. Even in its current form, it still works amazingly well considering all the new enemies, weapons, and features it adds. It has its share of bugs, sure, but so does BD. Most importantly, it's fun.

raymoohawk said:

What's unpolished and ugly about it? I find it way more fun than BD due to the much improved weapons and new enemies. It actually feels like it's own game rather than somewhat tweaked vanilla mechanics and enemies.

rileymartin said:

What's unpolished and ugly about it? I find it way more fun than BD due to the much improved weapons and new enemies. It actually feels like it's own game rather than somewhat tweaked vanilla mechanics and enemies.

To be honest, there ARE some poorly done sprites (like the heavy machine gun, which even painkiller admits is awful) and major bugs (until recently, the game would crash if a Spider Mastermind and Hellknight started infighting). Like with BD though, the creator is trying to improve on these, and the mod is still fun and perfectly playable in its current incarnation. BD was far from perfect when it got a Cacoward, and even now it still has some problems (like the Revenant's missile launcher being worthless, which PB thankfully fixed). I'd say it still deserves the Gameplay Mod award.

schmerr said:

!EDIT! As for doom 3 mods, Its been around for 10 years, lets do a 10 years of doom 3, there has to be something notable in its mod library, right?

If we are doing nominations for this also, then an early mod that I always felt used the Doom 3 assets better than the actual Doom 3 ever did was Teh_Base... although that was 7 or 8 years ago so I bet something even better came out by this point. (A quick Google tells me "Recall to Hell" was cancelled. That makes me sad.)

search "tested 7.0" is the best mod of doom3, but is necessary use the resurrection of evil. This mod is the only "megawad" of doom3 (more than 15 levels, i don´t remember the cuantity), the gameplay is similar to plutonia, i mean, you start with hordes of demons and zombies. And contain new monsters (baron of hell, different hellknights, pain elemental, nightmare imp, etc).

+1 Bloodstain
+1 Romero's new map

I also think DUMP deserves a mention. Maybe it's hit-n-miss and unpolished, but it has it's moments, and more people are getting into mapping thanks to it.

Camahueto said:

I also think DUMP deserves a mention.

That it may deserve, but definitely not one of the '10 best WADs' awards - as you say it's a bit too unpolished and uneven, which of course is inevitable considering the project's goals.

I was skeptical at first, but after playing Ancient Aliens for a while, I felt the need to nominate it. +1 to Ancient Aliens. I appreciate wads with good stories. I'm mighty tired of shooting through 32 levels and the end credits are the same as in Doom 2. Ugh. Skillsaw goes up in my fav mappers list.

The maps play excellently with a custom mod of mine. Thank you for adding a Berserk every now and then.

Ashstrodamus said:

Bloodstain is pretty friggin awesome. It's basically Alien Vendetta part 2. Pip needs to fix some of the bugs though.

im playing bloodstain right now, id say im almost done and im gonna go ahead and second this.

bloodstain.

but pip. fix the bugs.

Here's the current list of nominations/praise/recommendation/etc.
Excluding member nominations.

Bloodstain-19
Starter Pack: Hell on Earth-2
H-Doom-5
E1M8b-9
Strange Aeons-2
Stardate 20X7-1
Comatose-4
DoomRPG-1
Nihility-7
rf1024-8
Mano Laikas-3
Miasma-4
Absolutely Killed-3
No Sleep For The Dead-2
LegenDoom-1
DooD-14
Operation Portalus-1
Japanese Community Project-4
The Doom Tribute Project-1
Golden Souls Portable-1
Trailblazer-3
CustomDoom-1
Innocence X-1
Ancient Aliens-14
E1M4b-2
Somewhere In Time-3
Ludicrium-1
Spicy Evil Speghetti-1
Doom 4 Doom-1
Elf Gets Pissed-1
IMPatience-3
Shadow Of The Wool Ball-5
Doom 2 Redux-1
Seinfield Doom-3
Project Brutality-1
Vispire-2

I don't care if you didn't "actually" nominate a WAD/mod. You mentioning it and with a positive tone means you like it, and you mentioned it in this thread.

I also don't care if you were being sarcastic. This is not the place for that.

i've been enjoying custom wads since ~2010.
never done any maps myself.
i played Ancient Aliens some weeks ago.
now i'm working on my first map.
you guessed it, Bobby Boy: AA++.

I counted +3 for DUMP (as a whole), too; not quite sure what you meant by "excluding Member nominations", though.

Oh. Also

Hell on earth starter pack. The scale is just awesome.

From here im gonna play the other voted and see if they're any good and vote acxordingly.

To be honest I haven't had a lot of good wads come my way.

Voros said:

I don't care if you didn't "actually" nominate a WAD/mod. You mentioning it and with a positive tone means you like it, and you mentioned it in this thread.

I also don't care if you were being sarcastic. This is not the place for that.

Chill out, man. :)

cortlong50 said:

Hell on earth starter pack. The scale is just awesome.

+1, are there even any other high quality megawads that make extensive use of ZDoom features? And I don't mean KDiZD or Torment n' Torture. It seems to stand out on its own.

rileymartin said:

+1, are there even any other high quality megawads that make extensive use of ZDoom features? And I don't mean KDiZD or Torment n' Torture. It seems to stand out on its own.

I'm working on one. Same concept (and unfortunately me and him had the same ideas on the ambient war sounds and shit so it will seem like im stealing things) but with the feel of an eternal map pack.

It's a long way out but I'm really loving it. I hope it catches everyone's attention when it comes out.

But I think more people should pay attention to this pack. Sarge is such a dividing character. I think he has a great eye for doom and where to take it to make it relevant in 2016 and I had a great time playing his pack.

- Japanese Community Project
- Ancient Aliens
- Bloody Rust (even though it's a bit short)

EDIT: -Bloodstain (Thanks to the Newstuff-Section btw., never heard of this project before..)

Espi award for Quasar. Printz already eloquently articulated why last year:

printz said:

James Haley for the Espi award. This guy has done so much for Doom and similar games… Pushing for GPL Heretic, UDMF (with other devs), Eternity (with SoM), revival of Strife (with Kaiser), Doom Wiki…