Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Xegethra

How do I make selectible characters for multiplayer?

I'm rather stuck again, being a one man project is hard.

The more important problem I am having is character selection for multiplayer. I have 8 of them and all of them will work in my WAD but my problem is that nobody can change between them. If I play single player, I can change when I start a new game, but not when I die.

In multiplayer, people aren't going to want to start a new game just to swap character, however when they die their newly selected character is not selected. In player set up they will change characters but at no time does the game swap it to that character and from what I read on the wiki it should do once they die.

An example of the character is as follows.

In each characters' decorate is this. (GTANAME is different for each character)
ACTOR GTATravis : DoomPlayer replaces Doomplayer

And in the mapinfo I have this.
PlayerClasses = "GTATravis", "GTATroy", "GTAKivlov", "GTABubba", "GTAMikki", "GTAUlrika", "GTADivine", "GTAKatie"

And yeah, each character has their own Player.DisplayName too so they aren't called GTA whatever in game.

I know it is a class thing, each character is meant to be a class replacement for the DoomGuy, but yeah people just can't select between them and I don't know why.

To try and make it a bit more clear, here is most of the code for Travis, all the other characters are formatted the same way. (Thanks to scifista42, I have gotten rid of the replaces now.)

And here is the MAPINFO

Anyway, I'm moving the video to this first post so you get an idea of what it looks like.

Excluded from title because focus has shifted from it.
Spoiler

The next problem I have is getting a character to use a different attack sprite depending on the weapon they are using. To test this I gave Travis a punching sprite to use when he punches. So far the only weapon sprite the characters have is firing a pistol. But I can't get Travis to use his punch animation, he will still use his gun firing one.

Here are his states for those.
Missile:
TRAV EF 8 BRIGHT
Goto Spawn

Melee:
TRAV N 2 A_Punch
Goto Spawn

I do look up the wiki but more often than not I have a hard time taking in the information, it doesn't always explain enough.

Xegethra said:

ACTOR GTATravis : DoomPlayer replaces Doomplayer

The "replaces Doomplayer" shouldn't be there in the player class definitions. I'm not sure if this is the actual cause of your problem, though.

Xegethra said:

The next problem I have is getting a character to use a different attack sprite depending on the weapon they are using.

That's generally very complicated to do, and involves giving/taking/checking dummy custom inventory in both the player class definition and probably also definitions of all of the weapons. See how for example Brutal Doom (or any other mod that implements this behavior) does it. But what you've tried will definitely not work.

scifista42 said:

The "replaces Doomplayer" shouldn't be there in the player class definitions. I'm not sure if this is the actual cause of your problem, though.

I don't think it is, it could be though I'm not sure, I have tried other ways and just left it as Doomplayer, or even playerpawn but everything remains the same. (Except with playerpawn I can't change their colours).

scifista42 said:

That's generally very complicated to do, and involves giving/taking/checking dummy custom inventory in both the player class definition and probably also definitions of all of the weapons. See how for example Brutal Doom (or any other mod that implements this behavior) does it. But what you've tried will definitely not work.

Ahh O.K. Why is that so complicated? Why can't it work like the other sates? Oh well, it's only animation...if it really is that complex, I think I'll focus on the other problem I have first then for now.

Just to be clear, what I meant was that the definition is supposed to look like:

ACTOR GTATravis : DoomPlayer {
}
without the "replaces" part after the word "DoomPlayer".

Aye I got it. But it still doesn't work, everything still functions the same.

It is odd, as selecting them in player set up will keep that name selected on the menu upon repsawn, but will carry on displaying the entirely wrong character in the game.

*edit*

Well, I have added some stuff to the first post that might help I dunno.

*edit again*

Still can't figure it out, it just doesn't happen. I don't know if it'll work, but the player/class selection screen that you get when you start a new game, is there a way that I can have it show up for all players when they die? It'll mean that they have to select their character every time they die....but at least they get the option at some point if they change their minds.