Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Woolie Wool

Project announcement

I've laid the foundations of a ZDOOM megawad known as Demonic Presence.

In Demonic Presence, you are a space marine on guard duty in a research facility on the planet Goroth IV. Demons have stormed the building through some strange anomaly located in the basement of the building. Nobody ever thought much about the anomaly. After all, it's just a stone slab with a face on it, right? Hours after the infestation began, you hear a transmission on your radio from a scientist within the building: "Alert! Alert! A horde of bloodthirsty monsters has entered the building through some kind of interdimensional gate located at the anomaly! They are destroying everything in sight! You must find the anomaly and destroy it, but the only elevator to the basement is located on the top floor of the building! Please help us! There isn't much ti--- growl-growl-growl-SNORT! HOLY SH--AAAAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!"

Levels:
The first 11 levels are in a Knee-Deep style, but the building has been utterly trashed. Many of the lights are flickering and/or destroyed, some of the walls and ceilings have caved in or collapsed, computer terminals and wiring have been destroyed, and the walls are splattered with blood and gore. After level 7, hellish wall textures and flats can be seen here and there and at the end of level 11, it morphs into a Shores of Hell style. Levels 1-7 use the Knee-Deep enemies and levels 7-11 add Cacodemons and Lost Souls.

MAP01: Into the Fray
Music: Sign of Evil (DOOM E1M8)

MAP02: Security Checkpoint
Music: Suspense (DOOM E1M5)

MAP03: Biohazard
Music: Hiding the Secrets (DOOM E1M9)

MAP04: Necrosis
Music: Original MAP04

MAP05: The Satyr's Scream (the name refers to the fact that this level has a Baron in it)
Music: Original MAP05

MAP06: Nowhere to Hide
Music: Donna to the Rescue (DOOM E3M2)

MAP07: Sudden Death
Music: Something that fits a level named "Sudden Death"

MAP08: To Die or Not to Die
Music: Original MAP08

MAP09: Pit of Darkness
Music: The Demons from Adrian's Pen (DOOM E2M2)

MAP10: Acidic Lakes
Music: Original MAP10

MAP11: Evil Unleashed
Music: Nobody Told Me About Id (DOOM E2M8)

I will post my plans for the later levels shortly. Hopefully, I can get some mappers to make the maps since I'm no good at map editing. I can only direct the project and make the DeHackEd patches.

I've changed my mind about the styles of the first 11 levels. The first 7 will be in the Knee-Deep style, and the Knee-Deep-style levels will become more hellish as you progress through them until the game takes on a Shores of Hell appearance. Levels 8-15 will be in the Shores of Hell style (with all of the DOOM 1 enemies except the Spider), getting even more hellish until the anomaly at level 15. After reaching the anomaly, the setting becomes similar to Thy Flesh Consumed. The THC-esque levels have all of the DOOM 1 enemies present. By the way, don't laugh. If I'm not mistaken, Vorph didn't do any levels for his pet project Requiem either. :)

MAP12: Fountains of Blood
Music: Shawn's Got the Shotgun (DOOM II MAP07)

MAP13: Waste Processing
Music: Original MAP14

MAP14: Zombie Zone
Music: Some sort of heavy metal music

MAP15: Anomaly
Music: Sign of Evil

MAP16: Welcome to Hell
Music: Same as Map10

MAP31: Land of Eternal Weirdness
Music: Something weird

MAP32: Illusioland
Music: Pac Man theme

More level ideas pending.

How many people have announced projects, only to completely abandon them after a while?

Oh well. This is your megawad, and if you want to do it, go ahead. Just make sure it's not lame or anything, else no one will play it. Also remember to actually release, don't let it fall by the wayside like so many other projects.

If you're using Zdoom you'll have no trouble making a megawad with less maps, but with diferents sky textures. 32 levels are something so ambitious, try something like 5-10 maps. I don't know how many "episodes" are you planing to include, but you could try using mini 3 levels episodes (1 boss arena, and 2 maps for each). With that the gameplay would be much more dinamic, interesting, and it will make your work a lot easier.

It is almost imposible to finish a decent 32 levels megawad alone (anyway, some guys did it).

DooMBoy said:

How many people have announced projects, only to completely abandon them after a while?

I HAVE!!! :P well, actually it's on hold for a while...

Ultimate DooMer said:

Well, I managed it.....

Yes, but you can actually make maps. As Woolie Wool says himself, he can't.

I'm afraid that all the people I know of who are actually capable of making ZDoom levels are already busy working on various projects.

Paul Corfiatis made twzone2.wad, a 32-level megawad, all by himself.

I can zdoom it the best of ease, acs script and all, but my level design- now that's a different story. My level design... let's just say, I don't think archetecture was one of my gifts ;-)

DooMBoy said:

mine is simply taking forever. one-man megawads are never easy. i have definite plans to start my new zdoom project though!

Woolie Wool said:

Hopefully, I can get some mappers to make the maps since I'm no good at map editing.

heheh. Sit down with an editor for a while and get good at mapping. Release a map or two that everybody likes then put out the word to see if people wanna help. Oh wait, that's what I did and it didn't work... ummm... yeah, have fun :P

Vegeta said:

It is almost imposible to finish a decent 32 levels megawad alone (anyway, some guys did it).

We're nearly halfway through our megawad - just me and my wife working on it.
Incidently, am i right in thinking that 'The Underworld' will be the first ever Jdoom-specific megawad?

and now for something off topic... do any other source ports except for Zdoom use the sndinfo lump? Cuz it's for my GPD project (that lump there is all i know how to edit for Zdoom)

I might need to rethink my music choices, but here are the map names for the next few maps:

MAP17: Marble Mania

MAP18: Clear & Present Dangers

MAP19: The Archons of the Vile

MAP20: Mortality

MAP21: Fear No Evil

MAP22: Sacrificial Altar

After MAP22, the game acquires an Inferno style, with no human architecture or influence anywhere except in MAP24, which has a parody carnival. The weapons used here will replace the plasma rifle and BFG and will be demonic in origin. The walls will be made of guts and that flashing stuff from Mt. Erebus.

MAP23: Vertigo

MAP24: Dr. Demon's Unholy Carnival of Horrors

MAP25: Fire and Brimstone

MAP26: The Idol's Chamber

MAP27: Dark Temptation

MAP28: Crowd Control

MAP29: City of Dis

MAP30: Six Hundred Threescore and Six

ravage said:

and now for something off topic... do any other source ports except for Zdoom use the sndinfo lump? Cuz it's for my GPD project (that lump there is all i know how to edit for Zdoom)

Any port based on ZDoom, i.e. ZDoomGL, Skulltag, CSDoom, ZDaemon, and XDoom's forthcoming port.

NiGHTMARE said:

Any port based on ZDoom, i.e. ZDoomGL, Skulltag, CSDoom, ZDaemon, and XDoom's forthcoming port.

Vavoom uses sndinfo, but it's in a different format.