Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Spectre01

Teleport Traps and some other stuff

I'm having a bit of trouble making a teleport encounter. For simplicity's sake, let's say I have a square room with a Berserk Pack in the middle. Upon grabbing the pack, a stream of 4 demons teleport in from each corner of the room. What's the simplest way to make that work in Boom format? The issue I'm having is getting the monsters to be aggressive, assuming this is the first encounter so the player hasn't attacked yet to alert anything. Also, would I need four separate monster rooms so that all four teleport destinations get used?

You make a circle (on middle berserk) and make linedef a action 109 - W1 Door open stay fast. Make better separate room, because one teleport can appear more monster than on other teleport...

On this room you make a door and connect this with a action 109. Dont forget, that these moster are awaked before player see this room.

yaqxsw said:

You make a circle (on middle berserk) and make linedef a action 109 - W1 Door open stay fast. Make better separate room, because one teleport can appear more monster than on other teleport...

On this room you make a door and connect this with a action 109. Dont forget, that these moster are awaked before player see this room.

Lol.

Rileymartin, the best way to do it is to start with what you got: a setup and an idea. From there, let's make it work.

For starters, it really doesn't matter what action you use, any floor/ceiling/door/lift action can be used (I like to move ceilings up, so I would recommend action 40 to start this thing off) (note also speed of movement is important, which is one reason I recommend not using door actions. Use "slow" floor/ceiling movement). What your going to want to do is simply open a sector within the monster closet that will house the teleport line(s). This will allow only allerted monsters to walk towards the teleport (make sure you put it between the player and the mobs) and come on out. From there, you can either make a sound tunnel or join a sector in the playable map area with a sector within the closet, to allow for the transfer of sound. Basic teleport trap here, nothing too bad.

From here you have the problem of monsters becoming alerted (or not, in this case) if the player is a trolling pacifist asshole; let's teach them that pacifisting won't help.

Take that little closet you made and put a scrolling floor on the main portion. Tie it to the sector which moves, (from the lines around the key or whatever) by making one wall action 248 - scroll/move things when sector changes height. The point of this is, player grabs key and crosses line, this moves the "doorway/teleport" sector's (I tend to move ceilings, and move them up) floor/ceiling, allowing the monsters to access first teleport from a sound mechanic (which will become our back-up). At the same time, that sector's movement also causes the main floor to scroll, pushing the mobs to either that teleport, or (why the Hell not and make a second one) another one. This conveyor belt becomes our main teleporter, making the sound-one our back-up. The benefit of doing things this way is that monsters do no have to be alerted to come out to play, can reliably go to multiple locations, and if unalerted previously, will give the player a nice wake-up call when they hit the playable map area and see the player.

I realize I didn't show too much of what to do here; hopefully this wall of text will be enough for you to figure it out. If not, let me know and I'll send you some pics and more detailed instructions.

The main key is to analyze your problem and use your imagination to come up with an out-of-the-box solution which is more than difficult to break. Of course utilizing back-up systems is always a good idea and can be used for many things, aside from straight-up back-ups (like giving the back-up it's own teleport, which will change things for the player based on their inadvertent breaking of the main system [like a pacifist in this example]).

Here is a quick example.

Thanks guys, I was able to pull off the whole pacifist monster flood thing. Map

The main issue I was having was not all 20 demons flooding the room, because the conveyor pushed them too fast and they'd block the teleport destination. I didn't realize the scrolling line could be less than the length of the conveyor until reading this page. Now I'm just wondering how this scenario could still work if the player managed to block one of the teleport destinations, in which case the monsters would get stuck at the end of the conveyor. But then again, including a joined sector in the main room would probably fix it.

Edit: Yep, using iddqd and blocking a teleporter gets only 15/20 demons into the room even if I get off it later. But if a common sector is added, then leaving the teleporter gets the other 5 to spawn out of it.

Since you're doing boom format, you can use "teleport-to-line with same tag(silent, monsters only)" lines in the conveyor area to loop monsters on the conveyors endlessly until they are able to deploy. Make sure there is enough space at either end to allow the monster to cross the lines! On top of that, for maximum reliability, you should only stack two demons in a row on any one conveyor.

Another solution would be to create a conveyor loop with the scrolling floors. Since monsters don't teleport until they cross the teleport lines, you can duplicate lines on the whole loop, and block the monsters with you initial trigger until the trap is set off. Just make sure they all are touching and won't move at startup to avoid incidental teleportation. Also, if you go with this solution, make sure you use diagonals with a slightly early cut on the corners. Monsters like to get hung up on the physical corners of the conveyor boxes. And avoid impassable or blocking lines as well 2-sided lines as well, because monsters will tend to stick to them for some reason.

You could always check out MAP12 from THT: Threnody, I did some conveyor belt shenanigans there and they might be helpful for you.

If you have many mobs on a belt, you may need to be careful of monsters bumping and subsequently getting each other stuck.