Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TeamTNS

ZDaemon Thursday Night Survival #258 - THT: Threnody

THT: Threnody is a WAD made as a tribute to Ty Halderman, the primary mainter of the idgames archive for over 18 years and an overall important figure in the Doom community for all of its history. Ty passed away in July last year and now we have the opportunity to honor his contributions to Doom on TNS as the first anniversary of his death comes close.

The WAD is still in beta so all your possible bug reports and critiques are welcome in the WAD thread.

DMFLAGS: 1174487140 / 806496256 / 0
Skill: Ultra Violence
IWAD: doom2 or freedoom080
PWADs: thtthren_beta1
Maps: map01-map20
Lives: 1
Players: 25/100
Item Respawn Time: 60 Seconds
Player Join Limit: 3 Minutes

Date: 21st July 2016

Euro session: 19:00 BST/14:00 EDT at Ducks, Czech Republic (usually lasts over 6 hours)

Get ZDaemon and join in.

Thank you for doing this! We look forward to see and hear about your experiences. Have full all!

Nooooo, I'm going to be wasting away in the office rather than playing this awesome session!

Doomkid said:

Nooooo, I'm going to be wasting away in the office rather than playing this awesome session!

That's a real shame, I'm fully expecting your Forgotten Reaches map to absolutely crucify us in pain rotation :(

Funny stuff aside, something went badly wrong I think. None of the players had any keys and couldn't get to them either. Unfortunately I can't provide any details of where the issue happened and why, but it was solved by spawning the yellow key. In midair :P

I enjoyed watching you guys play tonight, shame I couldn't watch the whole thing.

One question.. who was that asshole at the start of map09 who blocked nearly everyone, that made me laugh :-)

I think there were 2 of them doing that at first. One of them kept doing it and was..switfly dealt with :~)

Anima Zero said:

Gotta love them golden obituaries!

Speaking of gold obits:

Missed getting the one for Choft, though. :(

Eris Falling said:

Funny stuff aside, something went badly wrong I think. None of the players had any keys and couldn't get to them either. Unfortunately I can't provide any details of where the issue happened and why, but it was solved by spawning the yellow key. In midair :P

As far as I could tell, the only yellow skull key in the map was checked "Not Cooperative" and I noticed it was missing from its intended platform.

Sorry I didn't post the news for this earlier - I was absolutely swamped this morning and had to wait til lunch break to make the post D:

Session statistics for this week:

First blood:
hello_people | in MAP03, incinerated by an archvile 1 minute and 12 seconds after joining

First blood in 2nd rota (-fast and 2x damage):
x38_ViTa_38 | went boom 3 seconds after joining
(2x damage was turned off starting with MAP13.)

Peak server population:

Overall number of players that connected during the session:

Player death counts by obituaries (1st rota/2nd rota):

2 died. (2/0)
    20 mutated. (17/3)
    0 were squished. (0/0)
    7 went boom. (6/1)
    21 should have stood back. (17/4)
    4 were killed by a zombieman. (0/4)
    26 were shot by a sergeant. (2/24)
    37 were perforated by a chaingunner. (12/25)
    5 were slashed by an imp. (2/3)
    41 were burned by an imp. (1/40)
    11 were bit by a demon. (0/11)
    14 were eaten by a spectre. (1/13)
    12 were spooked by a lost soul. (3/9)
    2 got too close to a cacodemon. (0/2)
    26 were smitten by a cacodemon. (3/23)
    3 were punched by a revenant. (2/1)
    58 couldn't evade a revenant's fireball. (17/41)
    16 were squashed by a mancubus. (8/8‌)
    7 let an arachnotron get them. (2/5)
    1 was gutted by a Hell Knight. (0/1)
    49 were splayed by a Hell Knight. (7/42)
    1 was ripped open by a Baron of Hell. (0/1)
    6 were bruised by a Baron of Hell. (1/5)
    17 were incinerated by an archvile. (9/8‌)
    0 stood in awe of the spider demon. (0/0)
    21 were splattered by a cyberdemon. (14/7)
    6 decided to become a martyr. (4/2)
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    413 deaths overall. (130/283)
Session lasted for 11 hours and 28 minutes and ended in the 2nd rota with the last map played being MAP17. Last finished map was MAP15.

top 10(+2) players with most deaths (deaths/joins, death ratio):

Fonze            28/30, 93.33%
x38_ViTa_38      26/32, 81.25%
rhinoduck        19/26, 73.08%
Keyboard_Doomer  19/44, 43.18%
zeaz             18/35, 51.43%
DaIcemann76      17/30, 56.67%
CeramicTweezers  15/16, 93.75%
almejita         13/14, 92.86%
[SDA]Krawa       13/21, 61.90%
guywolf          11/13, 84.62%
[ADD]ooawesome   11/24, 45.83%
valkiriforce     11/24, 45.83%

party poopers:
aprosekin         4/28, 14.29%
BlooditeKrypto    0/20,  0.00%  <-- Left as pain rota started. Shame, shame, shame.
Ziutek            4/24, 16.67%

Nice debut, welcome to TNS!

Hope to see you on some future sessions as well, we are always happy to see new meatshields, I mean players who can enjoy some Doom survival with us.

You're also the author of MAP12 with the death trap which then becomes a death pit to kill even more players. You're an evil man, you deserve more deaths on TNS.

Thank you for having me; I've been wanting to take part in more community events. It's a shame I didnt get to play the main session, but now that I know the typical time I'll be popping in more often. Might be tough, given it starts 2 PM here, but I'll be there when I can.

Are you saying that my death trap was responsible for more deaths than I got? So I went positive on my debut; huzzah. Score one for the home team; somebody give those mobs a raise. Now if I could just figure which one... heh.

Co-author btw; the map would never have been possible without a fantastically talented partner to do all the work while I stood around, taking selfies of myself looking pretty or whatever the kids do these days.

Btw, on a serious note, in one of those videos someone said something about not finding a RL in MAP19, I took a quick look at the alpha wad file I have here on my phone in -solo-net and saw it for UV. Can you confirm it wasn't present? If you have the time for any more feedback for coop, I'd appreciate it as coop settings aren't something I'm particularly used to doing and I love to learn, random as that may sound.

The rocket launcher is there, no worries. However I can see the reason why x38_ViTa_38 wanted rl is because he apparently got stuck somewhere. I'll try messaging him to ask where.

Haha, your trap in MAP12 didn't kill over 28 people, maybe like 5 or 6 in the first rotation. But I was one of them, so that has to be repaid at least 666 times.

EDIT: Forgot your other question.

Don't remember anything specific to point out about the maps you co-authored. In MAP12 I ended up in your lovely death pit and I think I was lost for most of MAP19, heh.

Generally speaking, very nonlinear maps with a progression that can be seen as confusing for some are not ideal for coop because the confusion is like 10 times worse when there are other players clearing different parts of the map and you can't even use the corpses of the monsters as a hint to where you've been already and you lose any sense of which switches were already pressed or where to go next. Death traps and death pits that can easily kill multiple players can also turn out to be problematic especially in the nonlinear maps I've talked about because players who try to explore in hope to find a way to progress can get themselves killed without a chance to escape.

Keyboard_Doomer said:

x38_ViTa_38 wanted rl because he apparently got stuck somewhere.

Yes, I got stuck near some lift (I made a glide, though):

Spoiler

That lowering floor is quite broken, I think. Thank you for the stuck report; I'll fix it up.

Good points KD, thanks :)