Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jaxxoon R

Sonic Mania

Sega's latest title in the franchise, from the folks behind the stellar remasters of Sonic 1, 2, and Sonic CD comes Sonic Mania, a throwback that features gorgeously-animated sprite art and creative new zones (as well remixes of some old favorites). It's expected to hit PS4, PC, and XBox One in spring next year. I was really expecting the same old shit after all the teasing and memes from the Twitter account but goddammit this little blue bastard just keeps pulling my heartstrings, I'm actually really, really looking forward to this one.

This is Sonic 4 as I truly imagined it.

For once I'm actually excited for a Sonic game.

Sega deserves a good pat in the back right now.

Tritnew said:

Sega deserves a good pat in the back right now.

If they were deserving one, they would've gotten one...

I'd rather stay skeptical here, trailer footage doesn't say much these days.

HOLY FUCK WHAAAA!!!! What happend? how did sega start pulling their heads out of their asses? They get some new manigment recently?

Yeah actually, they got a new president earlier in the year. Despite being the son of the previous one, he's apparently the person that really pushed for commissioning a fan to create the remasters initially and has made a lot of announcements about bringing back respect for the company and making sure that their products are quality. His first move being to delay a number of games showed promise, but after this, it seems like he might be a pretty alright guy after all.

ya, this is wild, wow. And recently they put they're sega genisis games in steam workshop. I was confused as that sounded like a smart business decision that would be good for gamers, and sega hasn't done that in a very long time lol.

Its about time Sonic went back to its roots. That's where the real fun was.

Man, it feels like everyone is going back in time.
Nintendo with its new console.
id Software with Doom and the upcoming Quake Champions.
The Blood team throwing hints on a new Blood game.
Sega and Sonic Mania.

And others i dont remember at the moment.

As a big fan of the Genesis-era games, I'm really looking forward to this. Visually it looks very nice and definitely reminds me of the 16-bit games. Hopefully they follow through with the gameplay and carry over the best bits from originals intact.

Really excited for this. I was playing Sonic 1 on the Master System yesterday, and funnily enough this new Sonic game pops up in my Twitter feed.

Does this pretty much prove that nobody knows how to make Sonic work in 3D? Are they giving up on that? I find that vastly interesting, because lots of franchises had rough beginnings in 3D but eventually found their bearings.

What makes Sonic special in this instance that it was essentially unable to make the successful transition? Was it the gimmick of speed which is harder to control in a 3D space than it was in a 2D space? I haven't played many of the 3D Sonic games but I have seen them played to the end, and besides the awkward introduction to humans and other laughable characters *cough*Shadow*cough*, and the introduction to more realistic settings as opposed to the colorful and bright worlds that made up Sonic's aesthetic, and the numerous bugs... the speed is always brought up as being hard to control in a 3D space, and you often slam into walls and out of bounds areas, or in the case of Sonic '06, into the death waters.

CARRiON said:

Does this pretty much prove that nobody knows how to make Sonic work in 3D? Are they giving up on that?

Well, considering they also showed Project Sonic, I'd say no.

Sonic Colors and Generations are considered to be the most competent ways they've handled Sonic in 3D, where it essentially involves sometimes putting Sonic in a 2D perspective, and have all the 3D sections be long stretches of land where you run fast as hell and do some forms of platforming and grinding. it's not entirely a lost cause, but a lot of games suffer from heavy misdirection (Sonic Heroes, Shadow the Hedgehog, Sonic 06, Sonic Unleashed, Sonic Boom, the list goes on.) it's probably not an entirely doomed concept to have the blue ball running around in 3D, but it doesn't seem to be the most fleshed out concept ever.

It's more about the art and sound direction sonic went in the 3d games I feel, and everyone talks way to fucking much in the games now. Theatrically sonic has become very lame, the furry madness and everyone chatting and messing around like some horridly bad anime has really tainted sonic. Honestly I'f they made a sonic Game more focused on Gameplay and cut 99% of the chatter I'd get more into them.
(edit)
also Sega got super corperate, quit giving a shit and did what Konami is doing right now to an extent, it's good to see them getting back up. I'm really excited because I'v got fro one of the biggist Sega Fanboys I'v known to one of the people that has hated Sega the most. I'm very interested to see how this will move forward.

CARRiON said:

Does this pretty much prove that nobody knows how to make Sonic work in 3D? Are they giving up on that? I find that vastly interesting, because lots of franchises had rough beginnings in 3D but eventually found their bearings.

Some games are meant to be in 2D. Sure you can make the levels and models in 3d instead of Sprites, but keeping the 2D view.

A good example of this is mortal kombat, MK games were crappy till the saw the light. Use 3D Models and maps, but keep the gameplay as close as possible to "2D".

Wild Dog said:

Some games are meant to be in 2D. Sure you can make the levels and models in 3d instead of Sprites, but keeping the 2D view.

Don't know why you said that when it was just explained that Colours and Generations were excellent 3D games. Hell even Unleashed was arguably good.

They need to make another Eggman Land. No I'm not kidding.

2D Sonic is the only Sonic I knew and grew up on, starting with Sonic CD on the PC and later Sonic 3 & Knuckles on PC and emulating Sonic 1 and 2. Even 3D Blast was better than the newer Sonic titles. Never had a Genesis or Dreamcast but I can tell with the latter I wasn't missing out. I hope this doesn't suck cause as stated the fanbase and freaks ruined Sonic for me.

man the genesis was dope as hell, me and yuki talk about the bad ass games on it all the time. I'll post some more infor maybie with some footage to show you guys.The Sega genesis was my child hood till the feds took it away lol.

I was hoping to see something like Sonic Adventure brought back with New levels, Higher quality and such ... But fine .

Wild Dog said:

Use 3D

Yes? Oh..

This new game looks nice, though it's weird that people seem to forget about Sonic Rush/Rush Adventure on DS, those were perfectly suitable 2d Sonic games, with interesting 3d styled boss fights. I only played the fist bit of that Sonic 4 thing, and something about the movement/air control felt off, so I kept making stupid mistakes..damn muscle memory, never got used to it. Generations was a damn good game, I need to finish that. It was like they took the best bits of Sonic Adventure and made it finally work.

Cyanosis said:

I hope this doesn't suck cause as stated the fanbase and freaks ruined Sonic for me.

I'm sure they enjoy having that kind of power over you.

Relevant:

"... Christian Whitehead ..."

SOLD!

From a visual standpoint, am I the only one who is reminded of Chaotix?

Use3D said:

Yes? Oh..

This new game looks nice, though it's weird that people seem to forget about Sonic Rush/Rush Adventure on DS, those were perfectly suitable 2d Sonic games, with interesting 3d styled boss fights. I only played the fist bit of that Sonic 4 thing, and something about the movement/air control felt off, so I kept making stupid mistakes..damn muscle memory, never got used to it. Generations was a damn good game, I need to finish that. It was like they took the best bits of Sonic Adventure and made it finally work.

I can't say anything about those two games, because i don't have a DS and never played them.
Just watched a few videos about the bosses and yes they look interesting.

I'll play it when I finish the one with the Green Cat. But otherwise, this looks like an actual sonic game, unlike many of the last sequels.

scalliano said:

"... Christian Whitehead ..."

SOLD!

I second that!

Tbh, I didn't watch the video until now.
And now, my heart is racing.

This is fucking amazing!
But I fear that it might not sell well, because of the "retro" graphics.

Honestly I have never really been a huge fan of Sonic related games, I only grew up with one Sonic game which was Sonic & Knuckles and I am bit nostalgic for it.

Sonic 3 & Knuckles is the best 2D platformer ever made. The Genesis originals are top tier. The first two adventure games start to get weird but are decent and then it's a nose dive into mediocrity. Sonic Generations was actually really fun though.

The series jumped the shark when they started calling Dr. Robotnik by "Eggman" in the US.

The new game looks good. I think Taxman is involved so it should live up to the hype.

This is looking like a mixture of Sonic 1, 2, 3, S&K and even Sonic CD. It's kind of a shame that they're basically admitting the franchise has a somewhat narrow appeal in terms of what critics and gamers respond to, but there's clearly a lot of blood, sweat and tears that went into this. It's actually some of the most impressive sprite work I've ever seen. It looks like it'll be a lot of fun.