Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
baja blast rd.

*** The "ask a miscellaneous editing question" thread ***

My naivety assumed that particles were only available to predefined objects / actions such as the railgun (with all it's 'floatiness') and rocket trails etc.

That wiki link didn't seem to explain how to use the particles, any examples that you guys are aware of?

Well, if the intention is to spawn particles along a line, A_RailAttack with appropriate parameters seems like a perfect solution, doesn't it?

And particles are indeed restricted to the effects listed in the first paragraph on the wiki page.

Apparently, now they can be spawned via ACS: http://zdoom.org/wiki/SpawnParticle

Well then, ACS control might be perfect for more advanced effects! That was why I inquired further about particles, maybe doing some fancy particle bridge, or teleporter effects, so on and so forth. :)

Dragonfly said:

That was why I inquired further about particles,

Well, I had believed that they weren't usable outside of predefined special effects when I posted, then I did just put "zdoom spawn particle" into google and the zdoom wiki page for SpawnParticle popped up. :)

How would I go about making something checked as "Invisible" (a light source in this case) appear with ACS?

I've tagged them as well.

Instead of the Invisible flag, give the thing a RenderStyle "None" and then change it via SetActorProperty. There doesn't seem to be an ACS function that could toggle the Invisible flag. It might be possible to do from DECORATE via A_ChangeFlag, though.

scifista42 said:

Instead of the Invisible flag, give the thing a RenderStyle "None" and then change it via SetActorProperty. There doesn't seem to be an ACS function that could toggle the Invisible flag. It might be possible to do from DECORATE via A_ChangeFlag, though.

The render style trick worked like a charm! Thanks.

Can someone help me out with A_ChangeVelocity? I'm trying to have a monster jump up and back when entering its pain state, but A_ChangeVelocity doesn't seem to work on monsters. Are there any workarounds for getting monsters to jump in different directions quickly?

There's no reason why A_ChangeVelocity shouldn't work on monsters, but for your specific purpose, you should prefer using ThrustThing and ThrustThingZ.

scifista42 said:

There's no reason why A_ChangeVelocity shouldn't work on monsters, but for your specific purpose, you should prefer using ThrustThing and ThrustThingZ.

This worked, thanks a lot!

Hey, having issues with sounds using DECORATE,
For this Actor, the sound works fine without SNDINFO...
http://imgur.com/dveTX4q

This Actor, however, does the opposite, and won't use any sound unless I link SeeSound and DeathSound to their respective sounds in SNDINFO...
http://imgur.com/r4LFqjr

If I do use SNDINFO, the plasma sound is incredibly delayed.

A2Rob said:

Hey, having issues with sounds using DECORATE,
For this Actor, the sound works fine without SNDINFO...
http://imgur.com/dveTX4q

This Actor, however, does the opposite, and won't use any sound unless I link SeeSound and DeathSound to their respective sounds in SNDINFO...
http://imgur.com/r4LFqjr

"weapons/rocklf" and "weapons/rocklx" are defined (see "sound assignment" on this page) in ZDoom's default SNDINFO for Doom + Chex Quest. "weapons/phaseshot" and "weapons/phasehit" aren't anywhere in the default SNDINFO, therefore you need to define them (assign their names to specific sound lumps) in your own SNDINFO. Do you?

A2Rob said:

If I do use SNDINFO, the plasma sound is incredibly delayed.

How do you mean that? What's in your SNDINFO?

Question: for my GZDoom 2D platform game (PK3), I'm using an ACS script for the camera. I would have to copy and paste this code into every level to accomplish this camera effect, but I was wondering if I could perhaps make use of a library to call this function for each level. I have no experience with using ACS libraries though, so I was wondering if somebody could explain to me if and how this is possible.

EDIT: I think this is what I need, no? http://zdoom.org/wiki/LOADACS

"weapons/rocklf" and "weapons/rocklx" are defined (see "sound assignment" on this page) in ZDoom's default SNDINFO for Doom + Chex Quest. "weapons/phaseshot" and "weapons/phasehit" aren't anywhere in the default SNDINFO, therefore you need to define them (assign their names to specific sound lumps) in your own SNDINFO. Do you?

Yup - http://imgur.com/p59L91X

This is what's in my SNDINFO - http://imgur.com/gUs9e7r

The sound will work, but it's delayed, that is to say, doesn't sound as fast as the plasma rifle should

A2Rob said:

No, that's where you assign a particular DECORATE actor's sounds to particular logical sound names from SNDINFO. I was talking about assigning particular logical sound names from SNDINFO to particular audio lumps in the wad.

A2Rob said:

This is what's in my SNDINFO - http://imgur.com/gUs9e7r

THIS is what I was talking about above.

A2Rob said:

The sound will work, but it's delayed, that is to say, doesn't sound as fast as the plasma rifle should

If the projectiles are being fired by a rapid fire weapon, the sounds of consequently fired projectiles might be overlapping. The engine (by default) prevents this by a limit of how many sounds of the same logical name can play at the same time (default = 2) - if there's an attempt to play more instances, no sound will be played until the previous sound finished its duration or got out of hearing distance.

ZDoom's default SNDINFO has this line:

$limit weapons/plasmaf 0
That specifically makes plasmagun's projectile's sound play in unlimitedly many instances overlapping each other. You should do the same thing with your sound name in your SNDINFO.

scifista42 said:

@Agentbromsnor:

1. Create a library.
2. Compile it.
3. Use it in LOADACS.

Since I write all my ACS in GZDoom Builder, can I just make the changes in the script-editor there and move the script to the ACS folder using SLADE?

Note that the ACS folder is for compiled scripts, not for text-based source codes that you write. That said, you can write your source code in any way and compile it in any way too. Scripts written while editing maps in GZDB are being saved into SCRIPTS lumps (as source codes) and also compiled into BEHAVIOR lumps (as compiled) corresponding to the maps. I'm not sure how GZDB reacts if you try to compile a library this way, though.

ZDoom's default SNDINFO has this line:
code:

$limit weapons/plasmaf 0
That specifically makes plasmagun's projectile's sound play in unlimitedly many instances overlapping each other. You should do the same thing with your sound name in your SNDINFO.

Thanks mate!

scifista42 said:

Note that the ACS folder is for compiled scripts, not for text-based source codes that you write. That said, you can write your source code in any way and compile it in any way too. Scripts written while editing maps in GZDB are being saved into SCRIPTS lumps (as source codes) and also compiled into BEHAVIOR lumps (as compiled) corresponding to the maps. I'm not sure how GZDB reacts if you try to compile a library this way, though.

Oh, I see. So how would I typically compile an ACS library then? Can I do this in SLADE?

Yes, in SLADE3, you can click a lump that contains an ACS/library source code, bring up context menu and choose "Scripts -> Compile ACS", which will make the source code processed by a program called "ACC" (ACS compiler) and save the resulting compiled script into the proper namespace in your wad/pk3 (you might just need to rename it in there). You might need to give SLADE3 a path to the ACC program, which would be in GZDoomBuilder's Compilers folder. Nothing prevents you from using the ACC program directly via command line, either, but then you'd need SLADE3 anyway to insert the compiled script into the wad/pk3, so it's convenient to let SLADE3 handle it.

scifista42 said:

Yes, in SLADE3, you can click a lump that contains an ACS/library source code, bring up context menu and choose "Scripts -> Compile ACS", which will make the source code processed by a program called "ACC" (ACS compiler) and save the resulting compiled script into the proper namespace in your wad/pk3 (you might just need to rename it in there). You might need to give SLADE3 a path to the ACC program, which would be in GZDoomBuilder's Compilers folder. Nothing prevents you from using the ACC program directly via command line, either, but then you'd need SLADE3 anyway to insert the compiled script into the wad/pk3, so it's convenient to let SLADE3 handle it.

I see! Thanks a lot for the detailed explanation! I'm probably going to refine my camera script some more before compiling it into a library, but when I do and I mess something up I might come back to this later. :)

I noticed that when I run my "game" using a shortcut to GZDoom-GPL with custom parameters, the console keeps writing "Unknown texture: BRDR_B" over and over again, as demonstrated in this screenshot: http://imgur.com/a/G2VUS

When I looked into my PK3, I can't find anything resembling BRDR_B. I'm only using three textures in my test-level, and none of them are called BRDR_B. My DECORATE code also doesn't include anything that is named BRDR_B, so I'm kind of stumped at what is causing this issue. I'm hoping you guys can help me figure out what is causing this.

Just FYI: I'm using the menu art from the Wolf 3D Total Conversion PK3, and the marine sprites from Doom2D.PK3. These are all temporary and will be replaced with my own content once / if I get everything going.

In your screenshot, I can see the "missing texture" square pattern in place of the status bar. This makes me believe that BRDR_B might be a missing HUD graphic.

scifista42 said:

In your screenshot, I can see the "missing texture" square pattern in place of the status bar. This makes me believe that BRDR_B might be a missing HUD graphic.

From what I can gather, it has something to do with the graphics at the border of the screen when you zoom out using the plus and minus keys. During my searching, I stumbled at this link: http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=51426

So I created this little code snippet in the GameInfo section of MAPINFO lump: BorderFlat = "graphics/BLACK.png" (BACK.png being a 10x10 pixel small black graphic).

The result is... this: http://imgur.com/a/BApRm

As you can see, it did work... Kind of! It coloured the outside black, but as you can see it's still asking for a list of "BRDR" graphics, so the search is still on. :P

Agentbromsnor said:

It coloured the outside black, but as you can see it's still asking for a list of "BRDR" graphics,

As you can see, the "missing texture" pattern of grey/white squares is still present on the borders of the screen. Also, "BRDR" is clearly a short for "border". Look out for whatever is defined in GameInfo block in MAPINFO as the screen's border, if it's valid (see syntax here) and if the respective graphic is being loaded.