Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DooMancuBus

Quake Champions: Overwatch Clone?! Where's Single-Player Quake Reboot?

Why people still complain that Quake Champions is an Overwatch clone? Is it because of Character abilities? What is Tim Willits planning? I don't think it's an Overwatch clone at all, because I think characters in other games before Overwatch have abilities too, but I can't name which game has it. Everyday people complain more and more about games they like had mechanics that other games have. It doesn't make any sense...

However, Tim Willits said that they're not shutting the door on single player Quake.

Tim Willits: We are not shutting the door on new consoles or single-player…

http://metro.co.uk/2016/06/21/quake-champions-tim-willits-interview-people-are-afraid-of-quake-which-is-kind-of-awesome-5958340/#ixzz4FXyfAtk2

Either his words imply that they're still working on it or after Quake Champions. Personally I think Quake Champions is cool, but I'm not interested in multiplayer games, only single-player games like Doom and Wolfenstein. I hope there will be an unexpected announcement of a new single-player Quake Reboot at Quakecon 2016 or talk about it during an interview.

Do you guys still want a new single-player Quake Reboot from id software? 'Cause I do! What do you guys think?

It's because some characters have the exact same abilities as some From Overwatch i suppose .

I've been wanting a Q3A reboot for a very long time and I always wished there was a difference between which character you chose, so to me this is perfect.

GoatLord said:

I always wished there was a difference between which character you chose

To me this deviates too much from the classic Quake/Doom deathmatch formula. It would be really nice to see a new FPS without classes and loadouts, but that seems like a fantasy at this point. Good thing we still have classic Doom DM.

Yes, and they all didn't attract a large enough playerbase. The amount of people claiming to like Q3 style deathmatch is significantly higher than those actually wanting to play it.

Around Wolfenstein: The New Order's release one of the lead MachineGames developers expressed interest in developing a Quake title. It wouldn't surprise me if the next Quake numbered entry or reboot had id working on the multiplayer with MachineGames on the singleplayer.

I thought over watch was a clone of TF2.

On a serious note. An arena shooter in the vein of quake 2 DM would be awesome. The only difference between players is skill and map knowledge.

Jaxxoon R said:

indie

Indie games are cool and all but a mainstream game with half decent funding would be nice.

rileymartin said:

Yes, and they all didn't attract a large enough playerbase. The amount of people claiming to like Q3 style deathmatch is significantly higher than those actually wanting to play it.

I prefer Doom's DM to Quake 3, but the two are similar enough to have loads of cross-appeal. I think people who want Q3 gameplay aren't flocking to indie clones because they're indie clones and not games with decent graphics, a decent budget and a company with a few years of trust built up from releasing other good games.

I was really hoping for the Q3 style to some degree in Doom4's multiplayer.

MrSkeltal said:

Around Wolfenstein: The New Order's release one of the lead MachineGames developers expressed interest in developing a Quake title. It wouldn't surprise me if the next Quake numbered entry or reboot had id working on the multiplayer with MachineGames on the singleplayer.

Good Point! :)

If they do a Quake title I hope they stick with the Q1 theme. I like Q2's theme and all but after three games with Strogg in 'em I'm ready to hug some Shamblers again.

As much as I want to see a new Lovecraftian Quake, I have a feeling they will dumb down or minimize the abstractness of it all in order to appeal to more people.

Q1 Team Fortress -> Teamfortress 2 -> Quake Champions

Full circle is finished.

I'm still not sure where the class thing came from. It just sounds like the characters have abilities, yet they don't have actual loadouts. Sort of like a First Person Mortal Kombat but with weapon pickups... Unless MK was a Class Based fighter.

Mr. Freeze said:

As much as I want to see a new Lovecraftian Quake, I have a feeling they will dumb down or minimize the abstractness of it all in order to appeal to more people.

Because most people who game these days don't care about variety and just want too much of the same shit because they choose to or can only play a game during a small portion of their time.

If I were Id I'm not sure I would even make a new Quake 3. Any change made to the formula is bound to attract hate. The problem is, this is a new game. I ask the people who hate the new game this: What new stuff would you bring?

Doomkid said:

To me this deviates too much from the classic Quake/Doom deathmatch formula. It would be really nice to see a new FPS without classes and loadouts, but that seems like a fantasy at this point. Good thing we still have classic Doom DM.

Unreal tournement 4, it's really good. Screw toxxic, that game is a bounch of stolen shit thrown together and mostly shit jacked from the FREE unreal tournement 4. UT4 is BAD ASS.

Clonehunter said:

I'm still not sure where the class thing came from. It just sounds like the characters have abilities, yet they don't have actual loadouts. Sort of like a First Person Mortal Kombat but with weapon pickups... Unless MK was a Class Based fighter.

To be honest that's what I wanted out of Quake 3, so hey!

"GC: Obviously you’re not going to announce anything today. But was that just you telling me a story when you say this doesn’t close the door on other types of Quake game? Because if you’re making something that is this specific, that implies you could still do a Quake single-player and whatever.

TW: We are not shutting the door on new consoles or single-player…

GC: Because I know Jens Matthies from MachineGames would love to make that.

TW: [Purposefully ignores comment] We wanted a focused game, draw your lines and make the best game we possibly can within those boundaries"

So guys, why do you think Tim Willits purposely ignored the interviewer's comment saying that Jen Matthies from MachineGames would like to do new Single Player Quake game?

It would be a lie to say they're not closing the doors on SP and then not deliver on that promise. So likely there is something in store, but whether it's for Quake Champions or some kind of standalone sequel is anyone's guess. I find it hard to imagine there being a "proper" campaign for QC.

From the Metro.co.uk Wolfenstein Interview with Jen Matthies:

"GC: So, one of the things many people said as soon as they played The New Order is they hope you do Doom next, which obviously you’re not going to because someone else is. But what about Quake, that seems like it might be a good fit for you?

JM: [laughs] I love Quake. Quake is the reason I’m in the video games industry.

GC: Hang on, didn’t you said that about Wolfenstein last time!

JM: [laughs] I would say Wolfenstein is why I love the first person perspective. But Quake you could modify, you could make your own content. You could do that a bit with Wolfenstein 3D but with Quake you could really get in there and do completely your own thing. And that’s what allowed me to build my first games. So Quake is a hugely important game to me and I would love to work on a Quake game, but the problem for us as a studio is that multiplayer is extremely important to Quake. And that’s not been our thing.

GC: So how would you approach that?

JM: Oh, I have so many ideas! [laughs]

GC: You wouldn’t rule yourself out because it’s multiplayer-focused?

JM: No, no. I’m just saying that for a studio like us, that has a single-player focus, it’s hard to figure that out.

GC: Could you team up with someone else?

JM: That could be one solution…"

Link: http://metro.co.uk/2014/12/15/wolfenstein-the-new-order-post-mortem-interview-shooter-of-the-year-4987141/#ixzz4FdfSnmha

Bethesda won't give the go ahead for a MP game unless it rides on some existing trend.. they've changed id from being leaders to being followers.

DeathevokatioN said:

they've changed id from being leaders to being followers.

Something had to change since id stopped being relevant in the industry post Doom 3 until now.

id has been a follower since their Quake 3 days. Even Doom 3 was a pretty typical post-Half-Life shooter graphics aside.

Let's be honest here -- id's real creative drive was Adrian, Romero and Tom Hall. John Carmack is one of the smartest people in the industry, but design has never been his thing -- programming is.

dethtoll said:

Let's be honest here -- id's real creative drive was Adrian, Romero and Tom Hall. John Carmack is one of the smartest people in the industry, but design has never been his thing -- programming is.

Right on the spot, when they lost their creative drive, they started to go downhill.
Doom 3 great engine but the gameplay was ok, nothing amazing, plus it was blown out of the water by HL2.

Rage, GOD that was not a game, that was a paid TECH DEMO.