Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
invictius

Did any dos games requires a pentium 2?

I hear carmageddon cited a lot but it only needed a pentium. I guess dos was done by the time the p2 rolled about?

CPU requirements come down to either "your CPU must be able to do this thing" vs. "you must have a sufficiently beefy CPU comparable to this example". Lots of '90s games required a 486DX for the first reason (eg. Quake required a math co-processor). From the 486 upwards though the instruction set didn't change much and so the second reason became far more common. The only real exception I can think of is the MMX extensions and even then this was only used by a few games as an optimization rather than a hard requirement - I don't remember any games that required that you *had* to have an MMX-capable chip.

I don't know about required, but I had a P3 and a game like Nascar Racing had steep texture requirements to run properly. Edit: I was wrong, my cpu was a Pentium 90.

Not a chance. By the time pentiums came around, Windows was the standard. Some games like Duke Nukem, Dark Forces and Chasm: The Rift really needed a 486, but afterwards it was all about Windows.

Justince said:

The Pentium 2 brought about the use of MMX for one thing,

The "Pentium MMX" (P55C core, 166, 200, 233MHz) brought about MMX first

deadwolves said:

Not a chance. By the time pentiums came around, Windows was the standard. Some games like Duke Nukem, Dark Forces and Chasm: The Rift really needed a 486, but afterwards it was all about Windows.

As far as I remember, most games were using DOS when the Pentium came out. I had a P90 and had to use DOS to run Nascar Racing, Ecstatica, Dragon Lore, pretty much everything from say '91-'93. Windows may have become the standard around '94 from my best recollection.