Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Li'l devil

Heavily infested area (my real first map)

I made this map back in April, originally for Zdoom, but didn't upload it anywhere because i didn't consider it worthy enough to upload.
But today i decided to show that i actually can do something more than square room filled with cybers, so i converted this map to Boom and here it is..

https://www.dropbox.com/s/extwg6l93eob8is/chk_hia.wad?dl=0

As i said, the map is in Boom format. It's quite hard, even slaughterish in some places (428 monsters, 7 of which are bosses), ammo is not very plentiful and health is scarce. The map is mostly centered around infighting, so you should rely on that. A lot of health and ammo is located in secrets, some of which are very well hidden. Finding them will really help you, i guess. Also, don't be afraid of saving a lot, as beating this map in one go is very very difficult.

No screenshots because i don't want to spoil anything.
Screenshots are here: https://imgur.com/a/ehviv

Try to enjoy it. Feedback is appreciated.

Welp, you basically filled rooms and hallways with dozens of monsters and there's abosolutley no health (apart from a single medikit that you were granted after killing 200 monsters that were mostly hitscanners)
I didn't really see any infighting being encouraged because all enemies were either all hitscanners or you had to shoot the enemies by peeking behind a wall for the whole map.
You should've focused on your map being fun rather than tough-boy hard.
I eventually quit the game because I had to snipe 3 cybers and 3 masterminds.

I found 4 secrets and one of them almost got me killed because you thought it would be a good idea to put hundreds of enemies behind a door.

joe-ilya said:

Welp, you basically filled rooms and hallways with dozens of monsters and there's abosolutley no health (apart from a single medikit that you were granted after killing 200 monsters that were mostly hitscanners)

Did you play on UV? There's more health on lower skill levels. And there's even more health in secrets.

I didn't really see any infighting being encouraged because all enemies were either all hitscanners or you had to shoot the enemies by peeking behind a wall for the whole map.

I dunno, i just like when a whole bunch of zombies are killing each other with other monsters thrown into mix. Well, i guess this kind of gameplay isn't for everyone..

I eventually quit the game because I had to snipe 3 cybers and 3 masterminds.

You should've make them infight, actually, and kill the rest with PR or RL.

Well, anyway, thanks for playing atleast half of the map.

ChekaAgent said:

You should've make them infight, actually, and kill the rest with PR or RL.

Well, anyway, thanks for playing atleast half of the map.

How am I supposed to make them infight when there's barely anywhere to move on that 128x128 lift to successfuly dodge 9 rockets heading straight into you from 3 directions? You should've widened the lift.

Anyways, I tried the level again, and this time I just went into the first super secret and just gone through the exit door because I haven't seen it in my first playthrough when I was in that super secret which in fact was too easy to find. I accidently slid into the wooden room when trying to get a crosswide shot at the zombies on the stairs and from that I quickly found the super secret within the cliche secret clues, turned out to be an easy task.

Not such a hard map -- most damage from hitscanners was unforced and out of impatience.

The monster placement and music are quite amusing, actually. Lots of things that just comically begin infighting. I like it. Except for all the spectres -- those aren't so fun, there are just sooo many of them.

This is the 'good' type of jokemap. But the gameplay isn't really compelling outside of that comedic value: most of the combat is frontal with static monsters (as opposed to multi-directional). Monsters get caught at chokepoints (doors, hallways, etc.).

I knew to get SMs and cybers to infight based on comments here.

Also forgot to compliment the secret areas, which were probably my favorite thing about the map. I like how there's a hidden path to the exit, and it's interconnected with the normal path.

rdwpa said:

Also forgot to compliment the secret areas, which were probably my favorite thing about the map. I like how there's a hidden path to the exit, and it's interconnected with the normal path.

Originally i planned this map to be very non-linear and to have many more ways to access the exit, but i wasn't able to do this all. I think i just got too overambitious and had too many ideas and only a few of those ideas became a reality. The problem is that, while i can picture a really good map in my head, i can't quite actually make it. Also, when converting it from Zdoom to Boom, due to Boom's limitations i had to cut plenty of cool stuff, so it made map even worse..

Also, i actually worried that the hidden path to exit was going to be too hard to find.. looks like my expectation were a bit wrong..

Hey I am new here but very old to doom, I make huge complex wads with fuckloads of new monsters, weapons, artifacts & textures in them from the 667 doom forum. I have 7 of them completed. Im not sure anyone makes them like this nor am I sure anyone will be interested in completely nuts wads. This is a link to 1 of 7 that I have done. I hope at least 1 person will enjoy playing this/these wad(s) Also, if this in not the correct place to post stuff; I am sorry about that = it was just the 1st place I could find to doso
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sG3DFrvEEvQ

Byeblothingal 1024, don't hijack someone else's thread. Make your own.

@ChekaAgent, I've yet to check the map out, if and when I have time, I'll re-post in this thread my thoughts. Other people's comments about having this secret route to the exit sounds pretty awesome though!