Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DooMBoy

Favorite Style: Fantasy vs. Hi-tech vs. Realism

Read the thread title, then decide.  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Read the thread title, then decide.

• Fantasy
    • Hi-tech
    • Realistic
    • A little of all both.
    • A little of all three.
    • Other

So, what's your favorite style in an fps: fantasy, (Heretic, HeXen, HeXen II, Heretic II) hi-tech (DooM, DooM II, Final DooM, Unreal, Unreal Tourney, Quake II, Quake 3: Arena), or realistic (Goldeneye, Soldier of Fortune, Soldier of Fortune II, Operation: Flashpoint)?

I really don't have a prefrence. I loved Alice for it's genious fantasy/gothic theme, I loved Max Payne for it's realistic theme, and dues ex was also great.

I myself hold a preference for fantasy. There's only so much you can explain using technology. Triple-Barreled Shotgun sounds rediculous, but a rune-powered Hellstaff sounds awesome, IMO.

This explains why I love Heretic and HeXen so much. Fantasy + violence, blood, and gore = great games :)

[psycho laugh]hee hee hee, anything but realism; i tend to stray a bit from everyonelse[/psycho laugh]

DooMBoy said:

I myself hold a preference for fantasy. There's only so much you can explain using technology. Triple-Barreled Shotgun sounds rediculous, but a rune-powered Hellstaff sounds awesome, IMO.

Duh, high-tech != science fiction. Look at Star Wars, for example. Everything's high-tech, but it is hardly ever explained in conventional technological terms, so in the end it's more fantasy.

I like the fantasy, medeival type role playing games, like Hexen. I have far more of these than any other type.

High tech. After that I guess I'd say realism next and then fantasy. But it also depends on how good the game is, not just the theme. Also, creepy high tech (biomachinery and such) freaks me out. Up to you whether you want to mark that as a plus or a minus :P

I dislike fantasy because it makes no fucking sense.

I'M GOING TO KILL WITH WITH MY MAGIC! BECAUSE ITS MAGIC! AND IT CAN KILL YOU!

Combination of the lot.
That was half of Doom's appeal... the way that the sci-fi areas blend almost seemlessly with the hell motifs.

I believe the most compelling games are ones that contain only things found in this world, but in combinations never found in this world.

Unreal's "Sky Caves" are a good example.

I voted for "A little of all both." because it's the silliest answer.

I like all three of these styles if well implemented and appropriate. I haven't actually played any of the games you list under "realistic", but I think the parts of Half-Life where you're fighting army guys counts - and I certainly liked that. (OMG! Someone mentioned HL without saying it sucked! OMG!)

I wonder where Deus Ex fits into this categorization. That seems to have all three in some measure.

Fredrik: What's the Selwyn College Boat Club got to do with it?

Both Hi-Tech and Realism, but if a game is going for just one or the other, then I want them to put some effort into making it fit that description.