Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
baja blast rd.

Design choices speedrunning makes you dislike.

(In otherwise decent maps.)

- 32-wide switches, especially indented ones. I suck at hitting them I guess. Unfortunately they are more versatile aesthetically than 64-wide switches.

- Single shotgun + imp combat, when the imps can't be bunched up.

Big item pickups directly in front of a switch/door/path needed to progress.

Seriously mappers, STAHP IT

Having any kind of stairs, doors, switches, or walls. :^)

On a more serious note, bar doors that are possible to activate only by pressing the narrow textures that make up the actual bars are the bane of nomo or any sort of optimization, especially if they're something like perdgate map 28 where the bars are 8 unit wide, possible to close, and there's two sets of them in a row diagonally.

4shockblast said:

Having any kind of stairs, doors, switches, or walls. :^)

On a more serious note, bar doors that are possible to activate only by pressing the narrow textures that make up the actual bars are the bane of nomo or any sort of optimization, especially if they're something like perdgate map 28 where the bars are 8 unit wide, possible to close, and there's two sets of them in a row diagonally.

I did this semi-recently (16-wide) in a speedmap, oops. But yeah, what people should do is also add a line directly in front of the bars (aligned with the frontal faces, even) so that there are no gaps.

Arch Vile jumps that are required to get a secret. Hell Revealed 2 map 04 is the absolute pits trying to max. That's a huge jump. It's to the point of absurd and made me say screw this wad.

Switches inside walls, looking at you Scythe.

The exit switch on underhalls is also like that, I have no idea how many times I've died to missing that switch.

rdwpa said:

But yeah, what people should do is also add a line directly in front of the bars (aligned with the frontal faces, even) so that there are no gaps.

But they should make sure that the line has a height difference between sectors on its sides, otherwise it won't appear on the automap and the player could have harder time finding the colored door without seeing any colored line on the automap.

ZeroMaster010 said:

Switches inside walls, looking at you Scythe.

The one on map09 is particularly sunken and I hate it and wish it loses its job and family.

Also: sharp turns on start. Looking at you, scythe2 map06.

slippery steps down, just before a 90 degree turn, that has detailing on the inside edge so the steps slide you into it and you get stuck :x

Icarus-style doors that open automatically as you approach them. I always end up pressing "use" anyway and closing them.

Rayzik said:

Big item pickups directly in front of a switch/door/path needed to progress.

Seriously mappers, STAHP IT

You mean weapons/berzerks that get auto-selected? Or something else?

He means ammo and health items that you might want to save for later, instead of e.g. forcibly picking up a soulsphere when you already have 198% health.

Anything like a Megasphere in a 64-unit wide hallway or a cell charge pack in front of a switch when you have 598 cells already.

However the forced weapon switches do get annoying if they're overused.

EDIT: Got scifista'd

Single shotgun vs. a group of Imps (it really makes no sense at all)/Demons. Switches that take too long to reveal like Chillax. Map that has very poor amount of ammo and health/armor but a greater number of enemies in tight area. Secrets that require AV jump (it is extremely disgusting). Monsters that are in very annoying positions. Map where hitscanners shoot from every corners or map that has a lot of PE/Lost Souls/AV spams. After a long, great battle teleport into a tiny, dark, barrel-filled room and fucked up myself just to kill Brain Boss and exit the map (Doom Core map 24. I don't dislike that map, only that last room with teleporter......) and finally, fighting/walking on very narrow paths (Doom2 map 24).

Rayzik said:

Anything like a Megasphere in a 64-unit wide hallway or a cell charge pack in front of a switch when you have 598 cells already.

However the forced weapon switches do get annoying if they're overused.

EDIT: Got scifista'd

That's correct.

55-unit windows or 31-unit gaps. Why would you do that.
Pinkies or durable mobs right behind doors. Probability of them blocking your way is approximately 146%.

ClumsyDoomer said:

55-unit windows or 31-unit gaps. Why would you do that.
Pinkies or durable mobs right behind doors. Probability of them blocking your way is approximately 146%.

32 unit gaps, why do those exist?

Ancalagon said:

they are like an open passage for tasers, and an annoyance for no tas

Easy guided glides, especially west or south are fine as intended tricks imo, as well as absurdly difficult east glides that save only 1-2s or something like that when done TAS perfectly. However, maps with unguided glides that skip large portions of the map are just a chore to speedrun. :\

kuchitsu said:

Icarus-style doors that open automatically as you approach them. I always end up pressing "use" anyway and closing them.

What if they open from further away?