Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tyockell

Doom 3 Combat

I wonder if there will be much meelee fighting in doom 3 i love meelee fighting. Not that i want them to over do it but maybe they could keep that feeling alive were you only have a pipe wrench or a metal bar for a lil while to scare the shit out of you it also makes it so rewarding once you get your first firearm such a releaf.
I hope we will see a comeback of the double barrle shotgun and hopefully the pump to i love blowin away imps with buck shot :D

Hmm, let's see.
id has officially stated that they plan to have the chainsaw so don't you think they'll have at least one melee weapon? I think so.
But we already know that you'll start off with the pistol - saw that in the E3 gameplay presentation (and for those of you who haven't SEEN that, there's still the forums where a lot of people have talked about it).

The double barreled shotgun is pretty certain to be in the game - you'll have to be a fool to believe that id will leave it out just because they haven't announced it or shown it (or id will be fools to leave it out).

The pump-action shotgun is already there - it was shown in the E3 presentation so don't worry about it.

On one hand, it'd be interesting to see if you can pistol-whip zombies. On the other hand, id have already said that there'll be no alt firing so... *shrugs*.

I get the feeling we'll just have the chainsaw, tho that's plenty for me if they up the gore factor when you slice thru demon hide :)

After all I heard it seems that the action is going to be disturbingly similar to the original Ultimate Doom. The new technology taken into account of course. They are actually seeking to bring back a bit of that old Doom feel.

I want the berserk back - meaning that the brass knuckles have to return in one form or another.

I`d like to see Doom marine`s boxing skill can be level up.

Boxing attack lvl 1 - Normal punch,not so damaging.A zombie can be taken down with 4-5 punches.
Boxing attack lvl 2 - Harder punch,more damge.A zombie can be taken down by 2 punches
Boxing attack lvl 3 - Hyper Punch,more damage than "Harder punch".A zombie should be down by single punch.
Boxing attack lvl 4 - Extreme punch,most damaging.A zombie will be *gibbed by single punch.

Boxing skill can be level up,by each of the below methods.

Brass knuckle (from dsm`s idea).the level-up is permanent

Berserk pack-it sould be picked and kept in inventory.need to be activate to use.the effect will last in certain length of time.(5 minutes suggested).the level-up is temporary

Muscle building-By completing certain mission (secret mission).The marine is rewarded by boxing skill lvl up.the level-up is permanent.

With any of the above method,the boxing skill is leveled up by 1 (to 2nd lvl).When the player got brass knuckle+berserk pack(or brass kunckle+muscle building / muscle building+berserk pack),his boxing skill level will increase by 2 (3rd lvl).If they acquire all the methods.his skill will increase to maximum (4th lvl)

Heh, that's actually an interesting Idea, but possibly not for doom. Although I would like at least the possibilty of Upgradeable weapons.

dsm said:

Hmm, let's see.
But we already know that you'll start off with the pistol - saw that in the E3 gameplay presentation (and for those of you who haven't SEEN that, there's still the forums where a lot of people have talked about it).

Who says you'll start with that at the final version? BTW it can be changed any moment.

The logic flaw here is that you're assuming that the game starts for the player where it appears to in the E3/QC2k2 demo. I'm almost positive that not only does that not happen, but the stretch of gameplay they show doesn't actually happen linearly in the game. Some of the transitions may be genuine, but I think they skipped around to a few different non-sequential levels to show off different aspects of the initial level design.
Anyhow, why do I think that the game doesn't start with you coming off the lift? Well, for one thing, you start off with more than just your pistol. Granted, they could've weapon cheated (they're clearly using god mode, for instance), but let's assume that they didn't. I have a feeling the first zombie encounters will be much more dramatic than what you see after coming off the lift. They have the ability to do in-game cutscenes whereever they want, so wouldn't you think they'd do some neat/scary stuff right around where you find your first enemies? And another thing.. that presentation (the intro animation and scripting) was rushed for E3. I wouldn't be surprised to see them drastically change aspects of that before release. After all, they have to put in a bit where you can walk around the base before the gateway opens.. as I understand it, the E3 demo didn't leave room for that.
Anyhow.. I get the feeling that what has been shown isn't an entirely accurate representation of how the real game will begin.

because of light issues (you can only have so many lights) most monsters will probably have ONLY melee attacks

Well, so far there's absolutely nothing to back that up, Xian. The imp tosses fireballs with dynamic sourcing, the Revenant fires rockets, and they're planning to put the Arachnotron in the game. I think it's simply that all we've seen is from the beginning of the game.. I'm sure you'll find more and more projectile tossers the further you get. I'd imagine that the current Hell Knight is intentionally melee, so that the Barons seem even more powerful when you first fight one.

Dslyecxi said:

Well, so far there's absolutely nothing to back that up, Xian. The imp tosses fireballs with dynamic sourcing, the Revenant fires rockets, and they're planning to put the Arachnotron in the game. I think it's simply that all we've seen is from the beginning of the game.. I'm sure you'll find more and more projectile tossers the further you get. I'd imagine that the current Hell Knight is intentionally melee, so that the Barons seem even more powerful when you first fight one.

thats a good point hell its a good idea about the hell knight they will be a deadly fo at that anyway since they will most likely take alot of lead to drop em. Thats gunna scare the shit outa me when it just walks up and rips me open and theres not a damn thing i can do about it :D

LMAO... I'm sure you'll be able to do something about it... they used the pistol by choice. Thing is, now we've seen that scene in the movie, we're gonna be quick-saving and TRYING to get killed in interesting ways. Which is nice.

I like melee fighting to an extent, but I prefer blasting away at things. That shotgun looks to be a very satisfying weapon...

AirRaid said:

I like melee fighting to an extent, but I prefer blasting away at things. That shotgun looks to be a very satisfying weapon...

I second all of that.

I don't think the HK is melee only - that would make it far too easy to defeat. I mean, it doesn't move very fast and when you use more powerful weapons, it'd be a breeze to kill if it could only hurt you up close. No, I for one think that it will be able to harm you from a distance. We just haven't seen its ranged attack yet - maybe because it hasn't been coded.

I disagree with you. IMHO HK is melee tank, very tough and deadly . He is not so slow (and remember youll be surounded by close areas)

zzz said:

I disagree with you. IMHO HK is melee tank, very tough and deadly . He is not so slow (and remember youll be surounded by close areas)

Well, you saw how the hero fared with the pistol - that he didn't survive was pretty self evident, but imagine that you're armed with the db shotgun - then that pathetic melee HK is toast before it even gets a chance to get close enough to you.

Like I said, try killing a HK with a pistol in the old Doom 2 and see how long time it'll take - if it weren't for the open areas and the fast player speed it would be damn difficult to bag this sucker without taking too much damage.
And yes, he IS slow. The Q1 Shambler moves about twice as fast as the D3 Hell Knight and not only does it have a ranged attack, but it's also tougher than the HK and the environment in Q1 is narrower than in the old Doom.

you forgot some important stuff :

1. New DoomGuy walks several times slower
2. Doom 1/2 had much open areas
3. HK is not so slow compared to player's speed (you seen him walking away then you hided your ass in corner)
4. Dont forget , Hell Knights appeared in huge numbers in older doom (lets hope to meet 2-4 HK's at once in later D3 levels..)

zzz said:

you forgot some important stuff :

1. New DoomGuy walks several times slower
2. Doom 1/2 had much open areas
3. HK is not so slow compared to player's speed (you seen him walking away then you hided your ass in corner)
4. Dont forget , Hell Knights appeared in huge numbers in older doom (lets hope to meet 2-4 HK's at once in later D3 levels..)

No, I did not forget this stuff - I took it into consideration. The new HK still moves so slowly that the Doomguy can outrun him - even though he doesn't run too fast. Doom 3's environments may have cramped spaces but that doesn't prevent you from being able to move away from the HK - I've fought in cramped spaces before with slower movement than in Quake 1.
And I've seen the HK walk away while the player was hiding AND I saw the HK advance on the ålayer, but I've also noted the player's new movement speed. Hell Knights appeared in huge numbers - so what? I still urge you: Try taking on a lone HK in the old Doom, refuse yourself the luxury to use the run button and only use the damn pistol on it.
Think about it, the new HK would only be a slower moving pinky with a much higher amount of hitpoints if it couldn't shoot at you from the distance. That HK would be scrap if the player had the db shotty.

I'm with dsm here... That HK would benefit a lot from a range attack. If the player had used the Machine-gun on it, He'd have probably been able to take it down before it got to him, if he backed up a bit while he was it it.

Do you think that the HK should have the same long-range attack as he does in Doom or not?

I'd hope that he'd have something more effective or faster moving than the original "throw hellfire" attack.

Livo said:

Do you think that the HK should have the same long-range attack as he does in Doom or not?

I'd hope that he'd have something more effective or faster moving than the original "throw hellfire" attack.

I was actually thinking that the HK should have a ranged attack somewhat similar to the old throwing attack, but maybe even a little weaker and then the Baron of Hell would have the more powerful ranged attack. Notice that the HK does not have that green glow around its hands, which could indicate that if it does have a ranged attack, then it might not be something thrown from its hands.

What I hope the Baron will turn out to be: Looks quite a bit like the D3 HK, but with horns and a slightly more goatish face (but basically with the same eyeless face as the HK). It walks more upright and in a majestical manner (that would remind you of the way it moves in the old game) than the new HK (which moves more clumpsily and bent over) and has a reddish (not necessarily pink) skin colour. The Baron should walk on hooves like the old one and the legs should be furry with rough hairs (but its legs should otherwise look the same as the HK's). And lastly, it should have this eerie, green fire-like glow around its hands, or at least they should start to glow when it prepares a ranged attack.

Oh yeah, and of course it should let out a loud, horrifying roar that is not completely unlike the old sound.

dsm said:

I was actually thinking that the HK should have a ranged attack somewhat similar to the old throwing attack, but maybe even a little weaker and then the Baron of Hell would have the more powerful ranged attack. Notice that the HK does not have that green glow around its hands, which could indicate that if it does have a ranged attack, then it might not be something thrown from its hands.

What I hope the Baron will turn out to be: Looks quite a bit like the D3 HK, but with horns and a slightly more goatish face (but basically with the same eyeless face as the HK). It walks more upright and in a majestical manner (that would remind you of the way it moves in the old game) than the new HK (which moves more clumpsily and bent over) and has a reddish (not necessarily pink) skin colour. The Baron should walk on hooves like the old one and the legs should be furry with rough hairs (but its legs should otherwise look the same as the HK's). And lastly, it should have this eerie, green fire-like glow around its hands, or at least they should start to glow when it prepares a ranged attack.

Oh yeah, and of course it should let out a loud, horrifying roar that is not completely unlike the old sound.

sounds damn good to me ;)

doomedout said:

this is a bit off topic but am i too old for games???? are any of u guys over 19 years of age???

I'm 22, Fod's around 65 iirc and Ling is somewhere around 22 or 23 afaik.

Lord FlatHead said:

Isn't Fod 51 ?

Uhh, yeah that's possible - I might be mixing it up with something else.

dsm said:

I'm 22, Fod's around 65 iirc and Ling is somewhere around 22 or 23 afaik.

Fod is 51 and Ling is 20 IIRC, he could be 21.