Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kev The Galaxybender

I may be in the minority but I like Doom 1993 more than Doom 2016

I guess this is a rant but I've played and finished Doom 2016 once and have not had the urge to go back. But I recently got heavily into Doom 1993 about a year ago and I play this game literally almost every single day. The amount of mods for it makes it so much fun.

In the time that Doom 2016 has been out, I've probably played Doom 1993 over 50 times. I don't think Doom 2016 is a bad game, I think it's very good actually, but something just keeps me coming back to the original Doom.

Sometimes I think modern games are designed to have little replay value. After all, they cost a lot so the producers need to sell the next one, meaning that keeping players occupied by the last one is economically bad...

Graf Zahl said:

Sometimes I think modern games are designed to have little replay value. After all, they cost a lot so the producers need to sell the next one, meaning that keeping players occupied by the last one is economically bad...

well yeah that would make sense. Or just keep selling you DLC.

If you compare Doom (1993) in a vacuum to Doom (2016) then the latter probably has more "replay value" so far as that goes. But of course there are so many levels and mods for Doom / Doom 2 that Doom 2016 is going to utterly pale in comparison when it comes to longevity. (And Snapmap barely counts...)

I know the end goal of making video games is to make a profit, but it just sucks that every decision now is driven by that. back in the day developers just wanted to make something people enjoyed and make a buck off of it. Now you have publishers focused on nothing but the bottom line. And it doesn't help that gamers expectations have changed and development cost has skyrocketed.

sigh I guess I'm just getting old.

There is a thread similar to this but it's has been a while. Anyway I love Doom 2016 and I'm so happy that a good reboot, which is incredibly rare in itself, was done for my beloved Doom.

But it's ok to admit the original Dooms have more replay-ability. It's simplicity allows for a incredible amount of unique content, its time has allowed for such enormous quantity of content to be created, its nostalgia can't be matched by a reboot and so on.

Besides, the new Doom is great as it is but suffers from a few flaws that may or may not be ironed out. Snapmap needs more love (it's getting it though), multiplayer needs user servers and a text chat system, switching between Campaign / Multiplayer / Snapmap is a damn drag, the lack of SP cheats is a missed opportunity to nod at traditional games, the cool classic level eastereggs are a little rushed (or feels like it was) and the random CTDs that still exist are a pain in the rear.

The launch with the devmode savegame taint is a real downer since it deleted my Snapmap level and Bethesda won't ever reply to me on their forums.

But if most of these issues were solved and more power to modders were given then Doom 2016 has potential to be a long lasting FPS classic.

Yeah its completely fine, it will always remain the best mostly. I've recently started Doom 3 again and find myself breezing though some levels doom 2016 style and find the old lost soul scream utterly amazing and terrifying in numbers, there are some truly great moments in that game that even transferred into the new one if anyone noticed.

ArchangelOfHell said:

Yeah its completely fine, it will always remain the best mostly. I've recently started Doom 3 again and find myself breezing though some levels doom 2016 style and find the old lost soul scream utterly amazing and terrifying in numbers, there are some truly great moments in that game that even transferred into the new one if anyone noticed.

I agree, I enjoyed what I played of Doom 2016. There wasn't a dull moment for me but when it ended it felt like I just got off the roller coaster and that was it. And I also really liked Doom 3 to be honest. I just wish they would have added mod support for 2016.

I mean I installed the Ultimate HUD visor for Doom and I died when I seen that GLADOS was an option for the AI. Just little touches from the modders like that is something i really appreciate.

Byeblothingal 1024 said:

im in that minority with you, always will be.

I assume most people on these boards like classic Doom over '16, at least hopefully. It'd be a little scary if the majority likes '16 over Classics. The new one is great and all, but it doesn't come close to many of Classic Doom's achievements.

Classic Doom/Doom 2 has more overall replay value due to the endless (and often very creative) mods, while Doom '16 has, in comparison, some rather strict modding capabilities that aren't going to expand the game's universe a whole lot. However, its single player campaign, despite its predictable explore/arena/explore/arena formula, is very engrossing, addictive and satisfying. So both games are phenomenal for different reasons, but the classic Dooms will ultimately have more staying power because the community keeps finding interesting ways to mod it.

So, is there any reason at all to treat Doom 2016 as something more than a revamp of Doom 3?

It's more like an attempt to be more like Classic Doom, in an arena shooter kind of way, but with mostly a mix of Doom 3 and Classic Doom aesthetics. It works well enough, since Classic Doom obviously didn't have enough detail to work with and most of the weapons were improvised toys anyway.

Maes said:

So, is there any reason at all to treat Doom 2016 as something more than a revamp of Doom 3?

Yeah. For saying "Fuck you" to reloading, short sprints and minimal blood.

You're gonna mention those things and not the fact that Doom 3 was dark as all ballocks? I mean, I'm pretty sure that was the number one thing people were mocking Doom 3 for, it was the Can't See Shit Captain Doom. Well, unless you mean the BFG Edition. XD

Toph Bei Fong said:

well yeah that would make sense. Or just keep selling you DLC.

they sell one weapons skins these days ffs. what "replay value" can one expect.

a friend who did a bit with snapmap said it´s much more limited than a wad editor like doombuilder... because if people were able to create their own "megawads" for doom2016, what else could they sell.

Pirx said:

a friend who did a bit with snapmap said it´s much more limited than a wad editor like doombuilder... because if people were able to create their own "megawads" for doom2016, what else could they sell.

Thats actually a good point. But then again, Doombuilder isnt from id Software.

We might have to rely on third party software for true maps for Doom 2016. Will the source code for SnapMap ever be releaed? Doubt it.

I firmly believe in the argument that creative/modding/game creation platforms with severe limitations often go on to be the most popular. Example: ZZT. Which is to say, classic Doom will be around for a long time to come, although snapmaps may be too limited. You can use Doom Builder to whip up something playable that looks like your creation, in short order, and snapmaps feel like copypasta.

The one thing Snapmap has going for it is that its scripting abilities appear to be quite vast. Perhaps even a potential new-school rival for ACS. id should at least add more prefabs like outdoor areas and possibly even Hell prefabs, just having bases, as I predicted, got old quickly.

I just added a HD texture mod, that ocmbined with project brutality and the ultimate visor HUD, feels like a totally different game.

Also I installed smooth doom for a smooth vanilla experience.

Toph Bei Fong said:

Does anyone know if snap map has been updated to where you can hold more than 2 weapons?

I'm still waiting on someone to do a faithful remake of knee deep in the dead

Already happened, You can hold more than 2 weapons now, Under loadout options Set Max weapons to 15 and change first weapon to anyone you want .

I don't think that the people who prefer classic doom over doom 2016 are a minority.
The new doom is an amazing game, i really loved it, and im looking forward to replay it again after a couple of months pass, but at the end of the day, im still playing the classic game because they sure are still fun to play, and also there are a ton of mods or megawads, and also because it's even more fun to make a mod for the old game. Nothing beat's those moments when you have a crazy idea for a mod, and after working on it for some time you get something.
The same thing happened when doom 3 was the new game. I loved it to death (despite the controversial reception), but years after, im still playing classic doom over doom 3 (I do play replay doom 3 from time to time)

A lot of Doom 2016 players seem to have dropped the original Doom's decades ago and never went back to them since, they seem to also claim that Doom 2016 has everything the original Doom's had and more despite how long it was since they played the original games.