Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ArchangelOfHell

What does John Carmack think of Doom 2016?

Does anyone know? I have yet to see any comments from him and would like to know what he thinks of the new Doom.
I bet he is proud but is secretly creating his next gen version of Doom in VR to surprise everyone.

that's gonna go a long way still, ID themselves are supposedly working on a VR version of Doom to be released sometime in 2017.

I don't know, I think he would care to some degree, because you know he's the father of Doom with Romero. But I guess since he did not directly work on this one, he may not think its worth sharing his opinion? I'm just saying it would be cool to see him play the new doom and share his ideas.

And yeah from what I heard the VR Doom coming next year is pretty much the new Doom "2016" in VR correct?

Bethesda's intentions in VR are pretty interesting, but still nothing just weak rumors.

Wait - what is Romero's views on the new Doom? I remember looking for it once but couldn't find any comments from him.

Chezza said:

Wait - what is Romero's views on the new Doom? I remember looking for it once but couldn't find any comments from him.

IIRC, back around the time it was first showed at Quakecon, he visited id software and said he liked what he saw.

IMO, Carmack will show distaste, because of the engine:

-moddability is crap for a Doom game.
-lighting couldve have been more efficient.
-the whole engine is inefficient in his terms.

The game itself, i dont think he'll be interested. He did say that he works with the engine more than the game itself.

Voros said:

IMO, Carmack will show distaste, because of the engine:

-moddability is crap for a Doom game.
-lighting couldve have been more efficient.
-the whole engine is inefficient in his terms.

The game itself, i dont think he'll be interested. He did say that he works with the engine more than the game itself.

-So i guess he hates Doom 3.....

- It's mostly made by him, they just modded it a bit. Even they said it.

Jaxxoon R said:

I doubt he cares, honestly. He never seemed the sentimental type.

^this

I remember him saying numerous times in the past that he didn't care much even about his own past projects. Why would he care about projects of other people for reasons other than learning about some new implementations?

Wild Dog said:

-So i guess he hates Doom 3.....

Doom 3 has full mod support, its just hard making actual mods.

On Doom 3.
After going through the new Doom a few times I find Doom 3 better than ever, and even better with trent reznors sound. There are many direct elements from Doom 3 in the new Doom, in one instance you stop a fire leak/gas hazard in both with almost the same exact setting.
They should also implement more horror elements to ramp up the tension in any possible sequels for new Doom.

ArchangelOfHell said:

They should also implement more horror elements to ramp up the tension in any possible sequels for new Doom.

Now that the new mechanics of the Doom reboot has been recognized and approved, I think they should take the opportunity to add more horror elements like you say. A bit more pacing between hardcore action and atmospheric horror just like the original Dooms.

A little more memorable encounters instead of just hordes of random demons spawning in an arena would be good as well. Bring on the Doom 2 reboot!

royaldj said:

Page 23 of the April 2016 edition of Game Informer magazine

Nice, they used a pic of Romero's new e1m8

I dont think Carmack cares about any of the games themselves, he suckas at playing them to. He just cares about the engines, inventing new stuff, things like that. I mean there isnt really much for him to say, it looks good and runs at 60FPS on all consoles, which was his goal, and they accomplished it without his megatexture technology, which was supposed to be his big contribution to next gen.

Voros said:

Doom 3 has full mod support, its just hard making actual mods.

Doom 3 at released had limited mod support. Unless you are calling full mod support to be able to make some skins changes and some lighting changes.
We started to see real mod for Doom 3 after they releasd the source code.
Source Engine had full mod support since day one.
Doom 2016 had more support for user created content that Doom had in late 1993

I still don't know why people thinks that older ID Games had full mod support.

Wild Dog said:

Doom 3 at released had limited mod support. Unless you are calling full mod support to be able to make some skins changes and some lighting changes.
We started to see real mod for Doom 3 after they releasd the source code.
Source Engine had full mod support since day one.
Doom 2016 had more support for user created content that Doom had in late 1993

I still don't know why people thinks that older ID Games had full mod support.

You could create models, textures and all that but nobody really did because it was and still is such a pain in the ass to create. If I recall correctly, Hexen: Edge of Chaos started pretty early on in DOOM 3's life cycle, it even had the "generic" DOOM 3 pentagram website layout that the official site used. The Dark Mod was also released before the source code came out and thats the biggest mod/total conversion for the game. Even Sikkmod came out before the source code.

Really the only thing the release of the source code did was allow the total conversions to go stand-alone. The community was never that big for id Tech 4 and pretty much was vaporized by the shutdown of doom3world.org

I have no idea why they didn't just use the DOOM 3 board on this site, it was/is pretty dead and probably could have been expanded upon if the entire community merged over here.

Well that's what i mean, some skins and some models is not really FULL MOD support. It's just a small part of it.
The Dark Mod was released 5 years after Doom 3 was released. Most of the Tools avaible were third Party. The same applies to the Doom 1 and 2, most of the Tools were made by the Community.
If people want to see what is FULL MOD support they should check Source Engine Sdk Tools, Valve released them with CS Source even before they released the HL2.

I'm guessing a lack of full mod support is more a decision on id's behalf since Bethesda hasn't exactly been opposed to it, given all the Elder Scrolls and Fallout modding that continues to flourish.

Wild Dog said:

Well that's what i mean, some skins and some models is not really FULL MOD

No, but the SDK sure was (note the release date of the SDK), and more than what most games actually provide or should even be expected to. The source code wasn't even needed in that context, as it was only useful in telling us how the engine actually worked.

MetroidJunkie said:

I'm guessing a lack of full mod support is more a decision on id's behalf since Bethesda hasn't exactly been opposed to it, given all the Elder Scrolls and Fallout modding that continues to flourish.

Those engines were already designed with complete modding and mesh editing support in mind. idTech5 and 6 are not, let alone mega and virtual texturing.