Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Patrol1985

Ultra-nightmare beaten with pistol / grenades only :o

Jaxxoon R said:

You won't make any friends with that attitude, Penny.

Could care less

Just don't be surprised when people don't listen to what you have to say. Oh no look, it's already happening!

Cool stuff, I see this as cheating. It's like taking IWBTG on impossible mode, saying you did it on impossible mode but in reality just reloading a bunch of times just for the fun of it and then boasting how you've completed it.

Just because you have low standards doesn't mean that I do. I'll say it again, do it legit.

Dime said:

Cool stuff, I see this as cheating. It's like taking IWBTG on impossible mode, saying you did it on impossible mode but in reality just reloading a bunch of times just for the fun of it and then boasting how you've completed it.

Just because you have low standards doesn't mean that I do. I'll say it again, do it legit.

haha dude get a grip, I've never boasted about this. I mean, if the title is boasting then I don't know what is. But what's funny is your whole attitude towards this, I mean, it's like you were planning on doing something like this and somebody else beat you to the punch. Your whole tone seems let down in a way. Maybe I'm crazy, maybe it's just me. But I just can't help noticing your attitude, anybody who's criticized this has just pointed out the facts, but there's something peculiar about your tone, like you're pissed that someone else is getting notoriety for something you could've done better or the "legit" way, but I'm probably wrong, just crazy delusional me.

You've beaten no one to the punch, you haven't even completed your own damn challenge yet, I suggest you get on it.

Dime said:

You've beaten no one to the punch, you haven't even completed your own damn challenge yet, I suggest you get on it.

I guess I'm boasting now ehh? I'd better stop before you have an aneurysm

Dime said:

What's with the hostility man?

By saying Pistol only he probably meant 1 weapon only, That doesn't include equipment such as Grenades so Uh .. that sounds legit 'nuff to me .

DMGUYDZ64 said:

By saying Pistol only he probably meant 1 weapon only, That doesn't include equipment such as Grenades so Uh .. that sounds legit 'nuff to me .

I wholeheartedly agree. A grenade is an item, so I treat it more like a 'powerup' which you can use every now and then. I doubt anyone minds if the pistol is used with quad damage. It's the same with the grenade...

... by the way, this discussion is a proof that some rules have to be established for different run categories (like compet-n for older DOOM titles). ZeroMaster and Zomeister proved that the game can legitimately be used for skillful playthroughs. I think some standardization is well justified :)

I totally respect the skill on display, but Dime has a good point. In the speed running and skillful gaming world in general it's very important to be as straight forward as possible. Totally legit 100%-executed-as-stated videos on places like YouTube already have hordes of unwashed children screaming that the player is "cheating" or "hacking" or that speed run tricks aren't "playing the game properly." Anything such as is the case here, where you can say "ah ha but the rules of UNM gameplay mean no deaths" only give those people something else to throw around and go ape shit over. Unless you disagree on the definition of a proper UNM playthrough (no deaths), then it's a bit disingenuous to label this as such no matter how good the gameplay is otherwise (and this is not an accusation of the intent to deceive, only pointing out the potential to do so even w/o ill intent). It can have a serious knock-on effect for anybody (including yourself) trying to repeat this in the future and do it 100% clean, as now there will be unnecessary doubts.

Almonds said:

misleading how?

The title "Ultra-nightmare beaten with pistol / grenades only"

To beat Ultra-Nightmare you must not DIE once, he died. So technically he did not beat Ultra-Nigthmare.

The whole point of "Ultra-Nightmare" is a no death run. You slip and fall to your death? Well bad luck, you must start over.

zomeister said:

What if the game crashes? haha say it does and I keep recording the crash then relaunch.

doesn't the game checkpoint like normally though? you get the checkpoint notifications on ultra-nightmare, but they don't do anything unless your game closes out abnormally, like from crashing. the save-file only gets removed if you actually die.

Viscra Maelstrom said:

doesn't the game checkpoint like normally though? you get the checkpoint notifications on ultra-nightmare, but they don't do anything unless your game closes out abnormally, like from crashing. the save-file only gets removed if you actually die.

Yes it saves if it crashes, but would that still count as a full UN run? Like say I crash and don't stop recording and just relaunch and pick up from where it crashed.

that i have no idea. i don't know if the rules of speedrunning would disqualify the run on rules of game instability, although that seems dumb. i guess at most you could be penalized for the fact that the game crashes, but in those situations, i think the clock would stop until the game is started up again.

zomeister said:

Yes it saves if it crashes, but would that still count as a full UN run? Like say I crash and don't stop recording and just relaunch and pick up from where it crashed.

I don't see any problem with that because it's a factor beyond the player's control. I highly doubt a game this complex will ever get to the point where it never crashes either, sadly.

Great job Zo, good run man. I can't wait to get back to it and play with yall again. Didn't see this thread before.