Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cire

Zauberer

MrFlibble said:

I've just noticed that among the graphics that MarlboroMike2100 gave permission to use in the libre Wolf3D engine game project there's some Egyptian themed stuff, like here. Maybe you could use that for Zauberer?

Seeing as the creator is Maz Hades, and his last submission was a bit over the line, i dont hink its a good idea.

We dont even know if Maz would allow others to use his assets now.

Well I do know as far as sound effects, a browse around https://freesound.org/ under cc0 can lead to some actually decent sound effects, if you're needing those. I've found a few decent weapon sound effects within there. Some can also be salvaged with a bit of cleaning up as well if a particular one is needed. Not possibly just for fantasy, but even modern weaponry if needed.

Voros said:

Seeing as the creator is Maz Hades, and his last submission was a bit over the line, i dont hink its a good idea.

We dont even know if Maz would allow others to use his assets now.

the assets in the freewolf thread were not done by maz hades, he just posted them

CireG, dont you think it would be a better idea if the project page of Zauberer contained only the assets of the WAD, rather than the WAD itself? That way, contributers can submit assets directly to the respository with little hassle, and you can check whether or not it is worthy for the WAD, and build it right there.

It'll be much more easier than downloading from various file hosting sites(and whatever bullshit some of those sites will give you, just to download), and bringing them all in one place so that you can build the new version of the IWAD.

Yeah, I'm CireG on GitHub because Cire was allready taken.
Yeah, I've been suggested it Before. I actually have a Collection of every asset that's been submitted to Zauberer, it would probably be a good idea to upload it to my GitHub rather than the prebuilt IWAD.
I have a request also, as I've asked Before, I would really appreciate it if someone could help me make a functional placeholder replacement Hexen IWAD? I mean such a thing people have done for the other free games that's being developed (Freedoom, Blasphemer, 'FreeWolf3D' etc.). It would be really useful.

About streamed audio: you don't need to drop Chocolate compatibility for that, since you can use digital music packs. You will need to have MUS/MIDI tracks as fallback option, though, since Chocolate music packs work as replacement for MUS/MIDI tracks (identified by their checksum).

About Egyptian stuff: it's kinda cliché IMO and the architecture is not very friendly to the Doom engine. How about the Nabateans? It's quite similar to Egyptian but the way they blend vertical cliffs and imposing sculpted facades would be easier to represent in a map than a sphinx statue or the sloped sides of pyramid.

Great to hear about the streamed audio, that Chocolate compatibility can remain, since my sound and Music engineer wants streamed audio.

My game designer wanted mainly Egyptian style with a few other theme blended in, hopefully he won't have anything against Nabateans put in the mix too.

Cire said:

I have a request also, as I've asked Before, I would really appreciate it if someone could help me make a functional placeholder replacement Hexen IWAD? I mean such a thing people have done for the other free games that's being developed (Freedoom, Blasphemer, 'FreeWolf3D' etc.). It would be really useful.

What? You mean making the IWAD into a different name (like zaub.wad?), and making sourceports recognise it as an IWAD? I think that requires a special lump file.

If so, I don't think its required for Zauberer atm. Its still pretty young and incomplete.

Also, if you have all the assets with you, then you should upload at GitHub. It would serve as backup in case you ever meet an accident that causes the assets to be purged.

Nah, I meant more like making a basic placeholder IWAD (ie a hexen.wad) that contains all Hexen entries but replaced with placeholders kind of like the 'The People's Doom 0.0.1' IWAD, if you get what I mean.
I tried to do it myself, as you've seen on my GitHub, but the result wasn't very good.

All source assets that's been submitted thusfar to the Project should be on GitHub now.

Gez said:

About Egyptian stuff: it's kinda cliché IMO and the architecture is not very friendly to the Doom engine. How about the Nabateans? It's quite similar to Egyptian but the way they blend vertical cliffs and imposing sculpted facades would be easier to represent in a map than a sphinx statue or the sloped sides of pyramid.

I should say this is a great suggestion. Petra is an awesome place, and something inspired by that would surely fit both the capabilities of the Doom engine, and the original style of HeXen's designs as well, in particular that of the second hub (caves and ruins).

I also wouldn't mind some straightforward Classical Antiquity Graeco-Roman designs/themes in the mix as well.

I suggest that you update the title screen on Doomwiki to this:
The current one seem to be taken straight from the old IWAD, which happened to not be converted correctly

I Think the old one is stretched a bit and has White background instead of transparent, though I could be wrong, the one I posted now is the how it was made originally.

Cire said:

All source assets that's been submitted thusfar to the Project should be on GitHub now.

Now we're getting somewhere!

Some organization is required, but better than nothing, right?
Why dont you put the IWAD under Releases? That way, people can see the end result.

Yup, I agree! :)

As I said, the IWAD was pretty bad I Think, and probably doesn't sufice for a real release yet. As I said, I would appreciate greatly if anyone could put toghether a basic placeholder IWAD, perhaps with the available assets as source to fill a few of the blanks? PM me or post here if anyone can do it. :)

I can try DeuTex, will take some time to get used to it since I've never used Before.

Whoops, i forget. DeuTex doesnt support Hexen.

Although DETH looks interesting.

Ah, OK, guess I can take a look at DETH.

The updated map is now added, along with the frozen grotto put in MAP02, it has missing textures at the moment and other stuff that needs fixed.

Hey guys. Good news. I will move today, I have also completed my music-computer, so there WILL be Music AND FX soon enough!

Here is how it will work, I will re-download Zauberer, open the Audio PK3(?) and start replacing sounds as I see fit.

When enough are changed, there will be placeholders and I will update the *.PK3(?)-file constantly, from Mk 1.0 to 1.1/1.2/1.2.5/ etc etc depending on how much change I've made to it.

I promise you guys, I will work on it until every sound is re-engineered and is PERFECT.

I will do the exact same process with music, placeholders until all of them are complete.

Cheers Guys!

BTW, I will make this in to a new post as well for publicity... ;)

Zauberer is now licensed under the ICS license (basically, its a simpler BSD license). Might get changed someday.

Could someone give me a rundown on how to use this? I downloaded the master folder but the instructions are not really clear on what I need to do. I tried dragging and dropping the zaub.wad into zdoom.exe and launching with hexen. I am not seeing anything different at all.

And the github link does not have a compiler .bat file that I am use to seeing from github links.

Anyways, help would be appreciated.