Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MajorRawne

Doom on a GTX 1060?

Aussie, I've been reading about GPUs and processors all week. Everything seems to point to AMD hardware being largely inferior at the high end - this apparently doesn't mean they aren't still excellent products in their own right, but AMD appears to be whacking massive RAM onto their graphics cards the same way they cram extra cores onto their processors. They seem to be doing it to sell products rather than because it offers any advantages.

From everything I've read, the 1000 series and some of the 900 series Nvidia GTX cards are where the money should be going.

Plasma Gun, it seems such a waste of money... It's hard to believe the 460 can't play modern games if it can pass modern benchmarks. Guess there are a lot of technical reasons why it's time to retire the card. It's a sad day.

MajorRawne said:

Aussie, I've been reading about GPUs and processors all week. Everything seems to point to AMD hardware being largely inferior at the high end - this apparently doesn't mean they aren't still excellent products in their own right, but AMD appears to be whacking massive RAM onto their graphics cards the same way they cram extra cores onto their processors. They seem to be doing it to sell products rather than because it offers any advantages.

From everything I've read, the 1000 series and some of the 900 series Nvidia GTX cards are where the money should be going.

Plasma Gun, it seems such a waste of money... It's hard to believe the 460 can't play modern games if it can pass modern benchmarks. Guess there are a lot of technical reasons why it's time to retire the card. It's a sad day.

this is the hard part with GPU's for PC Ive heard AMD RX480 is the way to go with direct 12 and vulkan and future proof and the 1060 is only good for Direct X 11. And I guess the 480 is cheaper for the 1060 in aus so thats something

MajorRawne said:

I wouldn't touch anything 900-series unless you get a SWEET discount. 1000-series or bust if you are buying a new NVIDIA card today as they are just the better perf/$ value.

My best advice to you is this: buy Doom and try to play it. If it works to your liking, then hooray -- no need to upgrade! If you find the performance/image quality to be unsatisfactory, then you should go and grab a new graphics card.

My recommendation would be the GeForce GTX 1060 over the RX 480. It's a faster card across a broad range of titles (as I showed with the TechPowerUp charts). And, if you look at the performance test 3DMark Time Spy (which is a vendor-neutral DirectX 12 benchmark that's optimized to take advantage of both AMD and NVIDIA cards), you will see that the 1060 is still faster:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonevangelho/2016/07/19/crunching-the-numbers-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1060-versus-amd-radeon-rx-480/#60be12094166

1060 is also more power efficient, and the transition for your system will be a bit smoother because you already have an NVIDIA card (so you don't have to clean your system of the older drivers and then install the AMD drivers).

Another thing to consider, the GTX 1060 has more overclocking headroom. TechPowerUp was able to get 14% more performance out of the reference-cooled GTX 1060 from overclocking (https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_1060/29.html). RX 480 is already pushed close to the limit out of the box; TechPowerUp was only able to wring out a 5% boost in performance from the RX 480 via overclocking (https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/RX_480/27.html).

tl;dr -- I think GTX 1060 is a better product overall and it's what I would buy with my own money.

MajorRawne said:

they cram extra cores onto their processors. They seem to be doing it to sell products rather than because it offers any advantages.

Those extras cores are useful but not for gaming and not for everyone. Hell even not all modern games use the 4 cores of most cpu...
When it comes to gaming you can still a first gen quad core and get away with it, as long you have a good Gpu.

About the RX480 not a bad card even more when you see that you can get it for less than 200.

AussieVikingOfAsgard said:

I am getting a new GPU soonish (once MSY re stock) and well for me the RX480 Seems like it would work better being the stronger card in the long run. Though I Ask is it easy going from NVidia to AMD?

If you know how to uninstall and install drivers then is more than easy.....
You are not going to find a lot of Amd users or people that like their products.
But the RX480 is cheaper than 1060, 50 or even more dollars depending on the edition.
The 1060 is better than the Rx480? Yes it is, but it cost more also and most people will fine by both of them.

I don't want to come across as some AMD hater here. My Phenom II Black Edition is a serious beast and to be honest, if Intel is supposed to be so much better, I can only imagine how stunning the new i7 must be. For the money I paid eight years ago (which must have been close to seven hundred quid) Vibox sold me a hell of a machine.

If someone helps me to safely overclock my processor there doesn't seem to be a need to bother upgrading for the next couple of years.

My budget just rocketed by the way, so now I'm considering the 1070. It's got 2gb less on-board RAM then the 1060 and is considerably more expensive.

Am I ever likely to need the extra power of the 1070 if I don't plan on VR or 4K?

MajorRawne said:

I don't want to come across as some AMD hater here. My Phenom II Black Edition is a serious beast and to be honest, if Intel is supposed to be so much better, I can only imagine how stunning the new i7 must be. For the money I paid eight years ago (which must have been close to seven hundred quid) Vibox sold me a hell of a machine.

Phenon II X6 was a nice bang-for-the-buck part back in the day, I did several builds around it for friends and it was a great processor. Will you be recycling this processor with your new GPU?

If someone helps me to safely overclock my processor there doesn't seem to be a need to bother upgrading for the next couple of years.

I'd be happy to help you with this.

My budget just rocketed by the way, so now I'm considering the 1070. It's got 2gb less on-board RAM then the 1060 and is considerably more expensive.

Am I ever likely to need the extra power of the 1070 if I don't plan on VR or 4K?

Games get more demanding out in time, so my advice is typically to buy the best that you can afford. The GTX 1070 is the best value high end part today and if you can afford it I strongly recommend it. GTX 1080 is nice, but perf/$ falls off of a cliff at its price point, and the new Titan X is just priced to the stratosphere.

Just curious, what monitor resolution are you running?

So I ordered my 1060 and FedEx delivered it somewhere else. Said delivered at 9:31 yesterday morning and it's nowhere to be found. Filed claims with the company and FedEx. Second time they fucked up an expensive order like this. Too bad I don't always get the choice of my preferred carrier because FedEx is never what I'd choose.

Edit: sorry for the rant

This is my two penneth:

1060: Best value card in the universe, unless some unknown aliens living on some unknown planet also use a similar technology and have therefore pwned Nvidia.

1070: Ridiculously expensive in any country, but ordering from the USA to ship to the UK means you get an MSI Gaming X 8GB Twin Frozr or Sea Hawk for £100 less than the UK, which means you can also buy a 500gb Samsung SSD which would effectively be free (compared to full price if said card in the UK).

1080: Guaranteed performance for years to come but priced beyond reality. Perhaps because it's aimed at the VR crowd?

Titan X: Shares the name with its greatly inferior ancestor. The original Titan X was effectively obsolete when the 1080 appeared (the 1080 also cost far less). Overkill, and destined to be irrelevant next to "price performance" heroes.

In a sense, these cards are like Necromunda weapons: the heavy stubber, heavy bolter, autocannon and lascannon. The more you pay, the more terrifying the weapon, but the overkill becomes needless.

MajorRawne said:

In a sense, these cards are like Necromunda weapons: the heavy stubber, heavy bolter, autocannon and lascannon. The more you pay, the more terrifying the weapon, but the overkill becomes needless.

I like that, makes perfect sense for a (ex) house Van Saar player! my money is on the 1060 I reckon, seems a great card for good money.

So I didn't get a 1060 I got a ASUS GeForce GTX 1070 STRIX-GTX1070

Ooooooo how is it? I'm actually about to buy one tonight. Hopefully FedEx doesn't 'lose' another of my packages..

MrDeAD1313 said:

Ooooooo how is it? I'm actually about to buy one tonight. Hopefully FedEx doesn't 'lose' another of my packages..

No idea yet still on it's way. but from what I have seen on youtube it's perfect for 1440P and ok with 4K. All of settings at ultra. I am just excited to be able to render things faster and play games with all the Nvidia pluses

No idea yet still on it's way. but from what I have seen on youtube it's perfect for 1440P and ok with 4K. All of settings at ultra. I am just excited to be able to render things faster and play games with all the Nvidia pluses

GTX 1070 is basically the ultimate 1440p/60hz card.