Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Wobbo

So we lost...

http://www.newsday.com/news/nationworld/wire/sns-ap-sept-11-legal-rights-glance0905sep05.story
Overview of Changes to Legal Rights
By The Associated Press

September 5, 2002, 11:44 AM EDT

Some of the fundamental changes to Americans' legal rights by the Bush administration and the USA Patriot Act following the terror attacks:

* FREEDOM OF ASSOCIATION: Government may monitor religious and political institutions without suspecting criminal activity to assist terror investigation.

* FREEDOM OF INFORMATION: Government has closed once-public immigration hearings, has secretly detained hundreds of people without charges, and has encouraged bureaucrats to resist public records requests.

* FREEDOM OF SPEECH: Government may prosecute librarians or keepers of any other records if they tell anyone that the government subpoenaed information related to a terror investigation.

* RIGHT TO LEGAL REPRESENTATION: Government may monitor federal prison jailhouse conversations between attorneys and clients, and deny lawyers to Americans accused of crimes.

* FREEDOM FROM UNREASONABLE SEARCHES: Government may search and seize Americans' papers and effects without probable cause to assist terror investigation.

* RIGHT TO A SPEEDY AND PUBLIC TRIAL: Government may jail Americans indefinitely without a trial.

* RIGHT TO LIBERTY: Americans may be jailed without being charged or being able to confront witnesses against them. Copyright © 2002, The Associated Press

The qusetion is, how can we get our rights back? Obviously just repealing the patriot act wont work, well be looked at as supporting terrorists and drugdealers and so on ... whats the solution?

Yup, you're (wait, we all are...) going down the drain. The world economy shows ugly cracks which as a result have these hysterical reactions* coming directly from the most invloved and responsible.

Dude, that shit is REALLY uncivilized.

* OK, yeah... State Terrorism.

Xian said:

The qusetion is, how can we get our rights back? Obviously just repealing the patriot act wont work, well be looked at as supporting terrorists and drugdealers and so on ... whats the solution?

The best way to do this would be to see whether the new laws can actually be legally enforced. I'm sure at least a few of them are in violation of the terms of the American Constitution.

IMJack said:

Get Bush out of office and bring in someone with some common sense.

Yeah. A Potato. No, wait. HALF a potato.

IMJack said:

Get Bush out of office and bring in someone with some common sense.

Couldn't of have said it better myself :)

The human rights is a sad joke.

I'ts principles will always be ditched if something more important (waging successful war campaigns) come by.

I've never been terribly fond of Bush, but I've only just started hating, loathing, abhoring, detesting, despising and abominating him in the last month or so. I doubt Gore would've been much better, though.

Pres. Bush yesterday in meeting with our Tony:
He started with the insightful view: 'This world faces some serious threat and threats and we'll talk about it. It's awfully thoughtful of Tony to come here."

Then he blundered into his first gaffe by failing to remember the name of the body which produced the report on Saddam's military arsenal.

Showing a complete failure to grasp the title of international institutions, he referred to the International Atomic Energy Agency as the "Atomic IAEA".

Hours earlier, it had all seemed to be going so smoothly, as the Prime Minister had packed his guitar and dashed to the States for his war summit with the President.

He had even found time to throw on casual clothes almost identical to his host, who proudly sported a cowboy belt buckle and American lapel badge.

But Mr Blair arrived to find himself in a toe-curlingly embarrassing Press conference with a president who stumbled his way through a justification for attacking Saddam's "neighbourhood".

As he struggled to remember the name of the report which showed the Iraqis had a huge military arsenal, President Bush turned like a confused child to his British ally for support.

The President's astonishingly inarticulate efforts continued as he mistakenly referred to "US resolutions" instead of UN resolutions against Saddam.

Then the President told the PM that it was OK if he wished to answer a journalist's question before adding: "You don't have to if you don't want to."

It got worse as he referred to "our Government in 1998" which was odd because millions of Americans were under the impression that his political foe Bill Clinton was in charge at that point.

An almost cringeing Mr Blair nervously pushed his fingers together, preacher-style, as if praying for his ordeal to be over. He resolutely trotted out his often repeated line that doing nothing against the Iraqi leader was "not an option".

But at least he remembered who it was that had produced the report on Saddam's arsenal.

As the Prime Minister longed for the photocall to end, the President bizarrely insisted on taking further questions from one reporter simply because he was a "fine fellow".

Asked to explain how he missed warnings about the impending September 11 attacks on New York, Mr Bush came up with some strangled syntax. He said: "I am a citizen of this country that has had these two vast oceans protecting us for all these years. And we were safe. People could not come and attack us - so we thought. Hawaii got attacked, but that's not part of our mainland. We felt secure in this country."

He went on to say that America was in a new "kind of war" before swiftly adding for no apparent reason: "I am honoured to be the President."

as long as the oil and cash flows.

greed greases logic in our government now, as it does to a degree in every government. however it has gotten bad. bush want to kick iraq's ass, but not cause sadam is a bad guy. one it will make him look grand to the easily fooled, two and most important the OIL. if he where in any other part we would not give a shit. also think of all the technology those fat cat fuckers have stolen from us to save there damn companies. in our local comunity a man, after high school, created an engine that ran off compressed air. however after appling for the paten he was denyed "in the interest of our country this design can not be patened" was the basics of the letter he got. 2 days later he had FBI men come to his house and take the proto-type, blue prints and many other personal things. he was warned that he could face life in prison if he ever recreated the engine or tried to sell the design. he was not infact breaking a paten, this was something new. uncle sam was protecting its butt buddy the oil and car companies. another thing is a kid created a fule, in his basment, that completly replaced desil(spelling) with no modifications to the engine. it was a varity of natural and simple compounds like alchol, corn oil and a few other things. this made news. so did the fact that the FBI busted him for making alcohol. agian same deal, threatened with 20+ years of prison if he tried to sell. to me this is complete BS, this is across all technology from cars to computers. I presonaly have a few designs i want to make in both biological and electronic feilds, however even if i did could i be alowed. if such a situation came to me i would leave the country and work for the government of someone( worth working for) and do my work there.
the whole deal now a days reminds me of the book dune, our spice is the oil and as long as it flows they dont care.

time for changes

It is now time for you yanks to show what ya can do! Take your guns and go to the capital! Show 'em! Yeahyh!!!!1111

the_Danarchist said:

Revolution...the only solution.

Have fun. I'll just walk in and take over while all the bodies cool.

So what? Just because the government CAN do something doesn't mean it WILL. The fat cats will mind their own business unless they deem it absolutely necessary to exercise their new powers.