Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DooM_RO

Some footage of the scrapped version

Back when I played The Evil Within on release I thought the bit where you're in a bus being chased by a huge monster through the wrecked city would fit pretty well in a modern Doom game.

I think with what Doom 2016 ended up being, setting it on Earth yet still going with somewhat abstract level design that looks realistic (like the UAC techbases in Doom 2016)wouldn't be a big deal. Especially if they go heavy on a dystopian sci-fi look where they'd have a lot of liberty on how to do things.

It really is relishing to hear Marty outright cite Doom 64 as a musical inspiration source for the map designers! This, right after all the implications made towards aspects in the game looking like they were directly inspired by it in some sense. Made me feel all giddy inside.

TheGamePhilosophe said:

That game, for all its shortcomings, had way more atmosphere and tension than the new Doom.

Oh god, mercy, please.

Almonds said:

It really is relishing to hear Marty outright cite Doom 64 as a musical inspiration source for the map designers! This, right after all the implications made towards aspects in the game looking like they were directly inspired by it in some sense. Made me feel all giddy inside.

Oh god, mercy, please.

Yeah, that and the many inspirations from 64 (like the imp design) where pretty sweet.
Also, why do we keep bothering with that gamephilosophe guy? Maybe if we just ignore him, he´ll go back to his cave or any hole on the ground...

Doom 2 to be fair did not look like a city. Technology has come far enough since then to make games in pretty much whatever kind of environment you want to.

watstha said:

Yeah, that and the many inspirations from 64 (like the imp design) where pretty sweet.
Also, why do we keep bothering with that gamephilosophe guy? Maybe if we just ignore him, he´ll go back to his cave or any hole on the ground...

The imps in this game look nothing like the imps from DOOM 64.

partial deep purple on their backs, hindlegs and forearms, the overall expression on its face depicting proper anger, clean, soft, sleek skin, slightly muscular yet slim body tone/shape with six spikes protruding from its back, shape of the fireballs...

I think it's safe to say that if it wasn't for the light brown on the upper part of its body it would easily pass for a modern interpretation of a nightmare imp.

Almonds said:

partial deep purple on their backs, hindlegs and forearms, the overall expression on its face depicting proper anger, clean, soft, sleek skin, slightly muscular yet slim body tone/shape with six spikes protruding from its back, shape of the fireballs...

I think it's safe to say that if it wasn't for the light brown on the upper part of its body it would easily pass for a modern interpretation of a nightmare imp.

Their faces,feet, and color are very different to their DOOM 64 counterparts unless you guys are referring to their E3 version which honestly looked more like DOOM 3 imps.

Just because a new Doom could take place on Earth, doesn't mean it has to be based in reality or anything; a (no matter how overused) Blade Runner like future city means they can still do some abstract stuff. It also means you can have more level themes that aren't just industrial or techbase-like, you can have shopping districts, carnivals, zoo/gardenlike areas, levels set on rooftops of skyscrapers with hellish monoliths towering amongst them.
You also don't need the entire game to place on Earth, either. Have the marine hop aboard some hellish meteor propelling towards earth with a level placed on that. Have your typical hell levels. Have a couple set on other planets as well.
The reason you may set it on Earth instead of just having the exact same settings but say its on Phobos or Mars or something, is that it hits closer to home when hell is trying to invade the planet we started on and most of humanity inhabits.

NodEliteX5 said:

Their faces,feet, and color are very different to their DOOM 64 counterparts unless you guys are referring to their E3 version which honestly looked more like DOOM 3 imps.

they only lack the butthole doom 64 imps had.

Spoiler

i'm only kidding, i know that's a gunshot wound hole :p.

on topic: I'm just now wondering what course of action ID will take regarding snapmap and (ugh) multiplayer once the eventual doom 2 comes to be. i'll think the most logical set of course would be reusing the same engine tech in its near entirety and making it SP only with a few additives conveniently sprinkled on top, stuff like new monsters and weapon mods, go an extra mile and get stuff like perhaps the arc cannon and the mancubus gland in this time around. maybe even go as far as backtracking on their own feet and actually putting in stuff that didn't make it from the prototype featured here.

I don't know, they've got a lot of places to pull stuff out from.

Linguica said:

[...] why even bother setting it on Earth? What does that bring to the game?

A change of scenery?

That might work actually, Cursed city with floating buildings, lava surrounding it and a Hell Portal somewhere with some platforming, That's how i imagine "Hell on Earth" .

DMGUYDZ64 said:

^ Call of Duty Advanced Warfare, maybe with less memes (on earth) .

Needs more vibrant colours and a generally more interesting art style - tech needs to look consistent with the Mars Base in Doom (2016).
The Advanced Research Complex is a good base to build on (for rich people quarters).

Almonds said:

they only lack the butthole doom 64 imps had.

Spoiler

i'm only kidding, i know that's a gunshot wound hole :p.

on topic: I'm just now wondering what course of action ID will take regarding snapmap and (ugh) multiplayer once the eventual doom 2 comes to be. i'll think the most logical set of course would be reusing the same engine tech in its near entirety and making it SP only with a few additives conveniently sprinkled on top, stuff like new monsters and weapon mods, go an extra mile and get stuff like perhaps the arc cannon and the mancubus gland in this time around. maybe even go as far as backtracking on their own feet and actually putting in stuff that didn't make it from the prototype featured here.

I don't know, they've got a lot of places to pull stuff out from.

Am I the only one who likes the entire game besides campaign and snapmap? (Yes and the multiplayer too) I honestly just don't understand this hatred for it at all, and don't you dare compare this shit to fucking COD or Halo when this game's MP has practically nothing in common with those two in fact it feels closer to Quake 3 arena and Unreal Tournament (minus the loadouts) unless you are playing snapmap thanks to the weapon wheel.

I can imagine great levels set on Earth.

You could be fighting in a collapsing skyscraper.

Maybe in an aquarium. Would make for interesting level design where you shoot the glass and drown the demons in water.

Linguica said:

OK, but if you make the levels "completely abstract environments that barely resemble anything realistic" then why even bother setting it on Earth? What does that bring to the game?

Setting the game on Mars (and hell, but in a lesser sense) does bring more to the table, but it also eliminates other cool aesthetics about earth such as the vegetation, wood, and bricks that you wouldn't see on a space station. One of the things I felt was kinda missing from the new Doom was the juxtaposition of real-life tools like handguns, shotguns, and chainsaws, and environments and laws that I'm familiar with, with the abstractness of dungeons and mythology. The fact that these two concepts don't really get along naturally is part of what makes it cool. Mars and space stations and aliens from another dimension is kinda tired out.

I don't want to dismiss everything in Doom though. I did really like the western look of the super shotgun. It looks like Sandy Petersen designed it himself. I also really thought the Hell levels were pretty awesome. But the techbaseinspace themes overpowered the stuff I liked at least 5:1.

I could easily imagine cool levels set on Earth. As someone else mentioned upthread, we're in the future anyway, there is literally no requirement to make the environments look like realistic modern locations.

One thing I wish they had done differently is ditch the forced room-to-room combat with locking doors and allow for more free exploration and nonlinear paths. That's my biggest problem with modern FPSes. Even if they get the raw gameplay right, freedom of movement seems to have become anathema ever since Half-Life outsold Unreal.

Linguica said:

OK, but if you make the levels "completely abstract environments that barely resemble anything realistic" then why even bother setting it on Earth? What does that bring to the game?

Science isn't about why, it's about why not? Besides, it can still vaguely resemble Earth locations, just warped by Hell and more futuristic. Also, I agree with
40oz. Having some natural vegetation and building material would be nice instead of having it be pure metal all the time.

Here's how the next game could be.

You start in Hell, take a portal to Earth, then a portal back to Mars (or even Deimos/Phobos) and then back to Hell again.

TheGamePhilosophe said:

and basically refined the formula they had with RAGE. That game, for all its shortcomings, had way more atmosphere and tension than the new Doom.

Lol welcome back, Doom '16 H8R with your senseless argument .

Also, I think it'd be interesting to see 2016 homages to things like O' of Destruction and Tricks and Traps. =P

Those weren't exactly "Typical Earth Environment" levels.

The video description clearly states that they were created for, and used in the final game, just cut down for time. Not the pre-reboot "scrapped version."

Yea it doesn't contain some of the Glory kills that are shown in OP video, But uses the Earlier version hands model though .

Almonds said:

hey, that one night sentinel getting ripped through on a single chainsaw swipe. pretty cool.

It's a multiplayer marine, it's noted in it's description.
Kinda sucks I was hoping he accidentally leaked some sort of pre-prepared DLC lol.

Is that really the legit speed in the cancelled version of Doom 4? If it is, no wonder they want to restart developing the game. Also, the part where the Imp got impaled to a wall.... They got to bring that back in the sequel.... ENVIRONMENTAL KILL!!!