Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Alfonzo

The DWIronman League dies to: Crusades

I would assume that the only time mouselook would only be allowed is if the mapset was specifically designed for it.

https://www.twitch.tv/johnsuitepee/v/81777935 = my run of Crusades. (death on E4M4, having done the secret map)

This was a painful and annoying as all hell death. I was doing so well to survive in a tight hp situation on E4M4, only to accidentally run off the map somehow and be thus unable to get back up to finish the 10 or so monsters remaining!!! I am currently quite salty about this. At least I let Keith continue his killing streak. Makes me wonder if there'll be some kind of ruling regards buggy endings like that in the future or not.

As for Crusades; seemed half-decent, had some decent encounters but some lazy Baron placement here and there. It didn't seem too difficult overall but it had its moments from what I saw of it.

For next month I'm voting for Resurgence, just so I can briefly revisit my painful run of it.

Ugh, that's really bad luck, Suite. I'm sorry your run ended that way. I should have posted a warning after Gordon succumbed to the very same bug. It looked like such a freak accident... I was certain it wouldn't happen more than once! In any case, you did quite well up to that point, and your viewers looked to be having a day out with it. Best of luck next month; I'll be sure to do some extra rummaging around for any game-breaking bugs, or put up some sort of protective rule that allows the player to continue onward.

In other news, I'll be offline for a couple of days. Don't expect your runs to get linked in the OP until the 7th, at least!

So I decided to give it a go. I tried Jenesis last month too, but without recording demos and with some illegal compatibility options (I made it to MAP09 in case you're wondering). But anyways, that was last month. Back to Crusades!

Demo: https://www.dropbox.com/s/5nj0byj9sj8ac9b/crusadesfail.lmp?dl=1

Really short map commentaries:

Spoiler

E4M1: It went pretty smoothly, as any introduction map should.
E4M2: I got lost for a while.
E4M9: Almost wasted the radiation suit here, but I thankfully avoided an embarrassing death.
E4M3: There goes all my ammo...
E4M4: Dead. Fuck.

I like these maps, though they're tight on ammo and I hate fighting barons without the super shotgun. I did miss a few secrets, maybe there was some ammo there... or maybe I am a mega scrub and can't aim for shit :)

rdwpa said:

You seem confident about that.

Fatally, even!

My goodness, such a sensational series of fresh digs (read; graves). Hubris and cowering abounds; the disciples of Keith continue to wreak havoc! What new and exciting demises await our luckless marines as we head deeper into August?

All right DWIronman League, get ready to be underwhelmed by my ability to die to stupid mistakes. As soon as I figure out what compatibility this wad needs. Also, how to record demos correctly in PrBoom+.

limit removing -complevel 3. I'll be sure to punch this info into the OP next month. If you're streaming or creating a video, remember to display the compat settings! doom(strict) will do for ZDoom-based ports.

Alfonzo said:

limit removing -complevel 3. I'll be sure to punch this info into the OP next month. If you're streaming or creating a video, remember to display the compat settings! doom(strict) will do for ZDoom-based ports.

So the demo I just recorded in -complevel 9 where I died on map 1 is not valid and I get another go?

EDIT: doesn't matter, I just died on e4m2 to a zombieman of all things because I was panicking.

-complevel 9 demo: https://www.mediafire.com/?x05lwmc79n104hm
-complevel 3 demo: https://www.mediafire.com/?sbeb4f4iq0cwf1t

Sure, have another go; I'm not so callous. I'm relying on the honour system for demo recorders anyway so I'd only look the fool being obsessive with the rules while folks are having second and third attempts before passing it off as their first. If you announce a stuff-up, then that's cool! Have at it. You've played the "technical difficulties" card now, though ;)

EDIT: whoops, I had assumed the first demo wouldn't work, but it does; I'll pencil it in. Take heart, Crusades is evil to players on the back foot. You won't be the last to pack it in at the first hurdle.

My attempt ended in E4M6, got overwhelmed by a group of unfriendly Cacodemons. Had the BFG9000 at hand but somehow thought I could escape or casually avoid them... Nope !

Had some foreknowledge thanks to Alfonzo's stream and some UV Max demos, but aside from that it was the first time that I've played this wad. Definitely a great choice.

Woof. Well, I predicted I would clock in dead-last, so no surprise there. Well then. Gotta give those Doom muscles a bit of a workout 'til next month I guess. :D

Watching the other runs after having finished has been pretty fantastic fun so far though. (Also quite humbling. Goddamn.) Love it! Keep it coming!

lol... Died on e4m8. That rocket was delicious.
also, I had got lost several times, so the demo won't be very interesting to watch. Shit, that was frustrating.

Died on e4m3 ;_;.

I'll follow the rules posted on the thread next time. Heard about this from a comment made by Ancalagon on another stream!

Checkin' out the new runs; I have a sneaky one from TGH sitting on my harddrive waiting for upload. Will update the OP before the day is out!

Also, a hearty-big welcome to MegaBlast. Large Twitch audiences make for the best Ironman runs - well, the most anxious ones at any rate. I hope you stick around in future!

Ribbiks said:

(I should get bonus points for the YSK grab in e4m3 :p)

Just discovered this for myself while trying the challenge again just out of mere curiosity. Damn, my death could have been avoided :(

That said, even with this grab, I still died not long after. Easily avoidable, but no way I could've got away on a first playthrough.