Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Fletcher`

your music in a musicless Doom

Ok now I use zdoomdos 1.19 when i play most doom stuff, and editing (except for port specific cases and zdoom 1.33b) which means that i do not have music to accompany my sound. (a real pity huh?) I like to listen to Mike Oldfield, Robert Palmer, and Queen stuff in this condition.

Ok, serious now- what music do You listen to in this situation?

I never use DooM music much anyway, unless the pwad has some of its own. I find any sort of dance (esp. drum 'n' bass and techno) goes great with DooM. Also Iron Maiden and Green Day stuff is quite cool in DooM as well.

(hmm....deja vu, anyone?)

Deja vu is a common part of my life man. Then again, nothing in my life ever changes- except for the date.

I almost never play the midis, but occassionally I'll play the PSX or N64 mp3's in the background - they're very atmospheric and make the game a lot more frightening than the normal Alice and Chains and Pantera cover midi's. They seem to work especially well with Eternal Doom.

Ether the midis or the psx music (which I recorded myself). I couldn't stand anything else really. I acully when't to all the troble of converting the orignal mus (which sound better IMHO) files in to mp3s so I would be able to hear it exatly as thay sounded through the Doom.exe.

Oh so NOW i find out how to do that, too bad mus sounds so crappy converted to mids

[edit] sokay im listening to mike oldfield in cd

Strapping Young Lad, Metallica (pre-1988), Devin Townsend and a bit of Frank Zappa. Try doing Episode 2 to "On The Planet Of The Baritone Women" :)

ravage said:

Ok now I use zdoomdos 1.19 when i play most doom stuff, and editing (except for port specific cases and zdoom 1.33b) which means that i do not have music to accompany my sound. (a real pity huh?) I like to listen to Mike Oldfield, Robert Palmer, and Queen stuff in this condition.

Ok, serious now- what music do You listen to in this situation?

Ministry is always good.

If it's a fast paced level with lots of killing I need some good pulsing speed metal such as:

Death - Living Monstrosity
Death - Defensive Personalities
Death - Killing Spree
Death - Pull the Plug
Possessed - The Eyes of Horror
Possessed - Swing of the Axe
Possessed - Death Metal
Kreator - Pleasure To Kill
Kreator - Endless Pain
Destruction - Bestial Invasion
Destruction - The Mad Butcher
Destruction - Curse the Gods
Dodheimsgard - The Crystal Spectre
Hallows Eve - Plunging to Megadeath
Hallows Eve - Metal Merchants
Whiplash - Power Thrashing Death
Whiplash - Pistolwhipped
Whiplash - Voice of Sanity
Blood Feast - Blood Lust
Blood Feast - Menacing Thunder
Piledriver - Metal Inquisition
Marduk - Christraping Black Metal
Misfits - Earth A.D.
Megadeth - Hook In Mouth
Megadeth - Rattlehead
Megadeth - Mechanix
Venom - Witching Hour
Venom - Black Metal
Slayer - Chemical Warfare
Slayer - Angel of Death
Slayer - Silent Scream
Exodus - Piranha
Exodus - Strike of the Beast

Anyone who's interested in what real thrash metal sounds like should go and download some of these songs.

And if you want to know more about metal just let me know, I am the Metal Master!

Liam the Bard said:

funkervogt.de

Funker Vogt - Best lame electronic band EVER

Lame? sure the dude can't sing a note to save his life but those beats are unbeatable! gah somebody shoot me.

anyway i have a crackload of funkervogt mp3s, and they're pretty cool to dance to at clubs and ga- i mean, uh, raves. ;)

Vominus said:

Anyone who's interested in what real thrash metal sounds like should go and download some of these songs.Metal Master!

Some good stuff in that list! But no Napalm Death?

For Doom though, I like Doom music. If I don't like the music that comes with a pwad, I'll add a music pwad, possibly from one of the major megawads (MM, MM2 and Requiem all have separate music pwads). If I couldn't get the sound to work in-game and desperately wanted music, I'd extract mus files that I liked and convert them to midis (if you select the tempo just right, they normally sound OK, though some get screwed up no matter what) and play them via some other program on the computer. Actually, I quite often listen to Doom midis while doing other (non-gaming) things.

I don't remember what it was called, but I played some pwad back in the day that used a midi version of Head Like a Hole by Nine Inch Nails and I remember that translated perfectly into Doom music. If I remember correctly the level had a huge outdoor scene with a gas station and it usually caused a visplain overflow.

I didn't put Napalm Death down because I consider them to be more of a death/grind band (depending on what year the recording is from). Scum is a classic album!

There's actually one band up there that isn't a thrash band. Whoever knows it or can figure it out wins the game.

Vominus said:

I don't remember what it was called, but I played some pwad back in the day that used a midi version of Head Like a Hole by Nine Inch Nails and I remember that translated perfectly into Doom music. If I remember correctly the level had a huge outdoor scene with a gas station and it usually caused a visplain overflow.

Surreal2.wad. That's what got me into NIN. Well, that and NIN.wad.

"Special Today! Rockets" Ah, they don't make 'em like that any more. I don't recall any VPOs.

Yeah that's it!! That's actually what really turned me on to NIN as well. I'd seen the video for Head Like a Hole and Closer by the time I played that map, and I thought they were pretty cool. My sister actually owned The Downward Spiral too.

When our dad happaned to overhear Closer he actually stormed right into the room, took the CD out of the player, broke it in half and threw it in the trash can!

But anyway when I heard HLaH in the realm of Doom that just put it in a whole new light and completely opened my eyes.

Oh yeah and about the VPOs, I was playing on a:

486 SX
25 MHZ
4 MB RAM
500 MB HD

and on a 14" monitor no less

I'm not that knowledgeable on the subject though, if VPOs aren't related to your hardware then I apologize for the extraneous post.

At first, I thought NIN were a purely instrumental band, since I'd heard Doom mus/midi versions of lots of their stuff, but none of the originals. I was really surprised when I bought a few of their albums and found there were lyrics too. That took some getting used to. But yes, NIN music seems to convert to midi format extremely well.

I once wondered how many consecutive seconds of the "Fixed" EP my father could stand to listen to. I decided it would be less than ten.

Regarding VPOs, at the time I played it, I think I was probably using a 486 DX, 66 MHz, and I forget how much RAM. Either that or a P-120.

hmm.... well, i usually listen to stuff like Severe Torture, Cryptopsy, Mörk Gryning, Dissection...sometimes a bit of Bestial Mockery, Mayhem, Nephast ...maybe even a little Children Of Bodom, Metallica (Justice For All and before), Slayer etc...

Vominus said:

Yeah that's it!! That's actually what really turned me on to NIN as well. I'd seen the video for Head Like a Hole and Closer by the time I played that map, and I thought they were pretty cool. My sister actually owned The Downward Spiral too.

When our dad happaned to overhear Closer he actually stormed right into the room, took the CD out of the player, broke it in half and threw it in the trash can!

But anyway when I heard HLaH in the realm of Doom that just put it in a whole new light and completely opened my eyes.

ROFL

Isn't that odd. I also learned to love NIN through Doom. Originaly, the only stuff I had heard by NIN was the stuff played on the radio: Head Like a Hole, Terrible Lie, Down in It, Closer, Hurt, The Perfect Drug, and We're In This Together Now were all I had heard. But then I decided to borrow PHM from a friend. This was back when I was in one of my previous Doom cycles, so I loaded up some megawad (I forget what it was...some Ultimate Doom thing that took place in a space station) and then I put PHM on repeat in the background while played Doom. The music fit right in with the wad. Dark electronic noise in a space station taken over by demons. It was the perfect fit, especialy Sanctified and Something I Can Never Have.

Later on, I borrowed The Fragile from my friend and ended up playing that in the background of Magic the Gathering: The Computer Game (Don't ask). After listen to that several times, I declared NIN my favorite band...but then Tool came along with Lateralus and I discovered other industrial and so on and so forth and everythings become muddled since.

I should realy thank my friend who leant me The Fragile for my musical tastes. He's also the one who hooked me up with PHM, gave me my first Tool album, got me about four of my NIN Halos, and gave me a disk which sparked my mp3 collection AND my interest in industrial music.

Heh...I was going to write an actual answer to the question asked by this post, but then I took a trip down memory lane and look what happed. Ah...and Kinda I Want To just popped on in WinAmp.

doomsday.wad had NIN - Last for the title screen music and it sounds excellent. I using it for my tc's title screen! Actually, i ganked the status bar from that wad too ;P

VPS's only showed up in the original doom2.exe- not in most source ports today

what first got me on NIN was Quake (don't worry, i dont do much with it anymore- didnt know how)

---
Number 403928139202390202893 out of Doom fene in the world.

I wouldn't like to play external music with DOOM; music is good only when it melds with the game coming from the same source. Most recorded music also has voices, which are quite distracting when playing. I always play the MUS included with the WAD.

Vominus, Death is death metal, one of the foundational bands in the gerne. It's not bad.

Doom rarely goes musicless on me but I play music anyway. Usually I just play the last 11 or so songs on my winAMP in order of date. Right now that would be...
Disturbed - Glass Shatters
Neurotica - Ride your Life
Spineshank - Synthetic
Finger Eleven - First Time
Our Lady Peace - One Man Army
Disturbed - Conflict
Our Lady Peace - Is Anybody Home
Spineshank - Negative Space
Spineshank - Transparent
Spineshank - Perfect Ending
Disturbed - Prayer

Funker Vogt is a good choice [namely the Thanks For Nothing or Execution Tracks discs]. Another really good act to consider is Dismantled. Gary Zon's self-titled debut blew me right the fuck away. It's amazing--Doom to the core.

http://www.dismantled.org

I was not payed to type that.

Assemblage 23's Contempt album is also a good choice. Tom Shear is an excellent producer. The despondant, aggressive vocals [like the beats] are set to amazing atmospheric leads and bass lines. Almost hypnotic at times. Great industrial music.