Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Voros

24 minutes of Brutal Doom 64

He really could of benefited greatly if he had toned down the action and instead amplified the atmosphere and horror using gratuitous gore and tougher enemies.

Shame that such potential was ignored and wasted, I reckon some real nasty scenes could have been shown in the corridors warning the player of what is to come and maybe have pinkies with bits of your friends still dropping out their gullets...

Oh well.

The viewheight is wrong as well as the aspect ratio. Doomguy should be 64 units tall with a viewheight of 56. The aspect ratio can be set to 1.0 in MAPINFO.

Looks okay. I like that the gameplay isn't changed too much from standard vanilla doom/doom64. But I wish the gore/gibbing sounds were less over-the-top. You can get away with that in classic Doom with it's cheesier, heavy metal/comic book-like aesthetic, but it kind of breaks the overall atmosphere in Doom 64's grittier environment when shooting monsters sounds like a creampie. On that same note, as much as I love ultra violence in games, I think Doom 64 could benefit from some more realistic gore as opposed to plentiful b-movie gore.

I think its pretty good so far. The gibbing sounds are straight from Brutal Doom, hopefully thatll be changed soon.

The dark maps mixed with the muffled colors really shouts out atmosphere. Combine that with gore, and you get one heck mixture. I think its pretty good.

If only i could get a closer look at the Revenant though. Its looks strange.

Voros said:

If only i could get a closer look at the Revenant though. Its looks strange.

I think it is Blood's Tchernobog sprites (the final boss).

If this is being payed on GZDoom, then that explains why there's no vertical gradients. What a shame. You can see where the maps lose a bit of their charm due to this omission. However, the original Doom 64 has no lighting effects for firing a weapon, which is the case here, so what port is being used?

http://doomwiki.org/wiki/Brutal_Doom_64

Most likely Zandronum, as Mark seems to play with that port mostly.

mrthejoshmon said:

Yes, there is a resemblance. The feet match and maybe the arms. But the face is still unclear.

On a personal level, I'd like to play that version of D64 without the BD stuff. It looks about as good as a Z-based version could do.

mrthejoshmon said:

Eh, I don't like that. imo it would have been better to just omit the monster altogether. The aesthetic of the Blood monsters is very different from Doom 64's.

scalliano said:

On a personal level, I'd like to play that version of D64 without the BD stuff. It looks about as good as a Z-based version could do.

This sums up my feelings perfectly.

HorrorMovieGuy said:

The aesthetic of the Blood monsters is very different from Doom 64's.

Such problems rarely stop mod makers.

Doomwiki said:

Unlike Brutal Doom, this mod will not have fatalities, focusing more on Doom 64's horror atmosphere.

That's great, But i don't like the way screen bobs .