Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Albertoni

Anyone got any idea how this was done?

TraceOfSpades said:

My only guess is very low resolution.

Except it couldn't be, because the text on the top left is at a quite high resolution.

Not to mention some of the pixels on the same ceiling are sliiightly bigger vertically than the others, which couldn't be done with just low resolution.

It was done by someone on 4chan. For posterity:

Anonymous said:

Here's what I have so far for the GZDoom retro shader.

Spoiler

out vec4 FragColor;
in vec2 TexCoord;
uniform sampler2D Texture;
//uniform float new_w, new_h, palette;

vec4 pixelate(sampler2D tex, vec2 uv)
{
vec2 coord = vec2( ceil(uv.x * 320) /320,
ceil(uv.y * 200) / 200 );
return texture2D(tex, coord);
}

vec4 reduce_palette(vec4 color, float max_colors_per_channel)
{
if(max_colors_per_channel < 0) {
return color;
}

return ceil(color * max_colors_per_channel) / max_colors_per_channel;
}

void main()
{
vec4 color = pixelate(Texture, TexCoord);
FragColor = reduce_palette(color, 20);
}

Open up GZDoom.pk3 and go to shaders/glsl/lensdistortion.fp and delete the contents of it, replace it with the pastebin. Might not look right with non-16:9 ratios, if so then you'll have to adjust the shader's dimensions.

Other things to set, under Display Options -> OpenGL Options -> Preferences, set Sector Light Mode to Software and turn on Tonemap and set it to Uncharted 2. Also turn on Lens Distortion since that's replaced with the retro shader. Under Display Options you might want to lower the Gamma Correction. I've noticed that a lot of dark areas turn to grey because I'm not using the actual Doom palette or colormap but this combination of gamma and tonemapping gives it enough contrast and looks a bit saturated like how I remember my old 15" CRT.

It's not perfect, but it's crunchy.

^or that
do they really need a RETRO shader for doom? i mean cmon, put it down to 320x240 resolution, and there ya go.

roadworx said:

^or that
do they really need a RETRO shader for doom? i mean cmon, put it down to 320x240 resolution, and there ya go.

What kind of exotic graphic card do you have that supports 320x240 in OpenGL mode? No GPU supports anymore as far as I'm concerned.

Thanks Linguica for that quote. I'm kinda surprised they're doing interesting shit on 4chan for once.

FragMan! said:

What kind of exotic graphic card do you have that supports 320x240 in OpenGL mode? No GPU supports anymore as far as I'm concerned.

Thanks Linguica for that quote. I'm kinda surprised they're doing interesting shit on 4chan for once.

i mean...you could always just use zdoom...that's not opengl, right?

and btw, 4chan /vr/ board (Retro Games) is actually pretty tame. i'm guessing that's where linguica got the quote from.
last time i checked, their doom general was doing pretty well.

Linguica said:

It was done by someone on 4chan. For posterity:

Which reminds me. You mentioned someone on 4chan had attempted to map the hospital I was stuck in for a week back in May. I never could find that thread. I'd love to know how they got on.

roadworx said:

i mean...you could always just use zdoom...that's not opengl, right?

OpenGL can do things software rendering can't. At the same time, it doesn't look retro enough, because true color.

If you simulate 8-bit rendering while preserving hardware features, you're getting a pretty unique look.

Da Werecat said:

If you simulate 8-bit rendering while preserving hardware features, you're getting a pretty unique look.

There's a rendering mode in the latest GZDoom (dunno when it was added though) called Software.

It's not exactly 256 colors, but it definitely helps a lot with the lighting drop-off.

Albertoni said:

There's a rendering mode in the latest GZDoom (dunno when it was added though) called Software.

I suppose you're talking about "Sector Light Mode" in "OpenGL Preferences", aka the gl_lightmode console variable. That one only affects light diminishing/distance-fading logic.

Besides this, though, GZDoom has a software rendering mode that's exactly like ZDoom's, toggle-able via vid_renderer console variable.

Albertoni said:

https://twitter.com/doom_txt/status/765996360961187840

I'm seeing some dynamic lights there, so there's clearly OpenGL at work. Thing is, as far as I know you can't pixelize Zandronum or GZDoom; There's not even support for shaders if you wanted to take that (dumb) route.

Lol.

Sorry there's no dynamic lights, it's just particles + wep' flash. This dude run BD with zDoom (not GZ)\Zandronum in software mode. On pretty low resolution.

The dynamic light from the player shooting can be clearly seen on the wall. Besides, fake floor decals seem to be present. Last time I checked they were made of 3D models.