Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
raymoohawk

post overpowered but fun monster ideas

It's probably a better cyberdemon than you'd see in any Doom model pack ever. Nearly all of the ones I've come across just fall over when they die.

Jaxxoon R said:

It's probably a better cyberdemon than you'd see in any Doom model pack ever. Nearly all of the ones I've come across just fall over when they die.

Would be nice if he could lead his shots. Armagon from the mission pack could and he was pretty awesome if one simply tried to circle strafe him.

What about a monster that always appears in pairs, is pretty tough and dangerous and has a special mechanic where both of them have to die within a short span of each other, otherwise they resurrect? I've seen mechanics like that in other games before and it's always an 'oh crap oh crap' kind of moment.

How about a Lego Cyberdemon? (With a helmet for a jock strap.)

Spoiler

After death it reassembles itself, maintaining immortality.

How about a berserk monster? It can only melee you, like pinky, but deals 70 HP damage and can gib you.

Finakala said:

What about a monster that always appears in pairs, is pretty tough and dangerous and has a special mechanic where both of them have to die within a short span of each other, otherwise they resurrect? I've seen mechanics like that in other games before and it's always an 'oh crap oh crap' kind of moment.

I support this! When you shoot him, the twin should bleed too or glow to give the player a hint.

Sounds like an original enemy, when it's not easy to come up with one. I thought of an armored, fast moving cyber that launches salvos from both arms, and a mancubus wielding a mortar or a bfg, but then there's the annihilator and the hectebus on realm 667 alreay. As some other suggestions here. Even a flying spider or manc.

As for a melee enemy, i miss a rabid fast zombie. About archvile speed is ok, he would look stupid running fast as doomguy. Best pinky imo is the one in valiant simply because it bites without delay. That taught me to see pinkies as an actual enemy, not just a roadblock.

Imp: if you look at it, it possesses you directly towards its melee attack (Dracula)

Shotgunner: Invincible and constantly stalking you. (The Terminator)

Zombie: no hitscans, but a melee attack that kills you if you don't reach the exit fast enough. (Night of the Living Dead)

i was thinking about robots built by the uac, think things like drones, big dog robot, legged squad support system , petman and AT-ST's. they would usually be inactive, but when you hit use on them they would activate and help you fight against the demons. if however you picked a magic based powerup like a berserk pack or a megasphere, the robot will become confused thinking you are a demon and turn against you

each of the robots could have its own unique features. you could for example assign one of your weak weapons to drone or petman. the AT-ST could be a weapons platform and you could assign it several of your heavy weapons, and it would be able to use several at the same time. big dog and leg squad support system could be useful as a sort of autonomous inventory that could retrieve items like health or ammo in cases where you already have full health or ammo. it could also work as a sort of moving health station, since it would store medikits that you run into, and you would be able to use them by getting close to the robot and pressing use, wich would pop up an inventory menu.

the robots would be balanced out by having weak ones that you can just activate, and stronger ones that require a specific key card

Monsters+pickups sounds lovely, actually, hehe.

Finakala said:

It would have been cool if the "bruiser brothers" in the original Doom were like this. On that line of thinking, lowering barons HP to that of Hell Knights and giving them this trait would make for some interesting CQB setups in pWads. Would be really messed up to give this trait to AV's, but if only 2 or 3 were used, that could be really cool as well. That's a good idea man :)

I'm sure this idea has been presented before, but an OP-but-fun-type of mob I think would be cool would be something like the phantasm from the old DOS game, Spellcraft. He starts of looking like the weakest enemy, then when he "dies," he transforms into a harder enemy, then after death transforms once more into the toughest enemy. The whole time he is able to cast certain player spells (all projectile-based) in addition to performing the monster-that-he-currently-represent's standard attack. So I guess a good parallel would be starting as a fairly high-healthed imp, then an HK, then a rev with the health of a baron. It would perform each mobs normal attacks, but occasionally it would launch, say a rev shot while an imp/hk, or mancubus volleys, a rocket, some cells, arach bursts, maybe the rare AV-fire just for the Hell of it. Stuff like that.

"Inconsiderate Coop Player"

It's a marine that fights monsters for you, but it goes around picking up all your health and ammo and powerups at a very rapid rate. It also sucks at fighting but has a ton of HP.

RUSH said:

How about a Lego Cyberdemon?

After death it reassembles itself, maintaining immortality.

...And the only way to kill it completely is a crusher. (or instead it could just get stuck between the crusher and the floor)

My Turn...
-Death itself, that can teleport thoughout the arena, can recover her health at anytime, can only be hurted by a BFG and rockets(but very little by the latter), has a attack that can't be dodged and her stare drains 10% of your health per second, if you lose you are sent to hell and have to fight her once more this time shes 2x times faster, 2x times stronger and you have only 10 rockets and 40 cells(she basically becomes unbeatable).

i think it's good enough.