Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NightmareZer0

Things that bother you about Doom

You can walk around with a chainsaw constantly running and the monsters won't hear you, but if you silently punch air even once...

Ichor said:

You can walk around with a chainsaw constantly running and the monsters won't hear you, but if you silently punch air even once...

Well THAT shouldn't happen, according to science.

Royal_Sir said:

The hitscanners are a bit bothersome. One of the features I liked in BD (IDK if its present anywhere else) is that it changes hitscan weapons into really fast projectile bullets with a spread. I mean, it doesn't make much difference, but it feels a lot more fair (plus offers different strategies from the slow projectiles, instead of circle strafing its more of a diving into cover kind of dodge).

I've seen other modern WADs handle hitscanners that way. But then again, I think pretty much everything in Brutal Doom is ripped from something...

Voros said:

I once downloaded Blender to do 3D modelling.

Didn't work out.

And i never uninstalled it for some reason.

If I can make a recommendation: try getting into Wings 3D for modeling. It's also free, light-weight, and it's an intrude-extrude style modeling program, which means that modeling things is actually quite similar to making levels in Doom.

http://www.wings3d.com/

The only down-side to Wings 3D is that it doesn't support animations, and it also doesn't natively support either MD2 or MD3. However, I've been using Misfit Model 3D for exporting to MD2 and MD3 and that works fine.

scifista42 said:

Sometimes you don't want to alert or even harm/hit what's in front of you...

My suggestion would make more sense, since monsters don't wake up to the idle chainsaw sound.

joe-ilya said:

My suggestion would make more sense, since monsters don't wake up to the idle chainsaw sound.

But most monsters do wake up to the chainsaw sound. They also wake up to the "sound" of the fists.

Lost souls have more health than they should have had.
Doom 2 didnt have good city textures.
The first 2 maps of E4 should have been in the later parts of the episode, not the beginning.
The Chasm should have been longer.
Every map should have been replaced with the chasm.
The Chasm should be the only map in existance made for Doom.
Doom should have been named The Chasm.

Imp said:

-Doom II's Map Layout
I love how in the Ultimate Doom it was split into Episodes. The one thing I liked the most is how you fought a boss at the end of each episode. Doom II is just a clusterfuck of maps.

Yeah, this bothers me, too. I would have liked it better if there was still an intermission screen between maps. Doom 2 could have still retained the linear progression model, just made it more clear which maps form various "episodes."

On a related note, the lack of any clear episode setup is likely the reason why enemies like the cyber-demon and spider-demon were reduced to periodic appearances. I think it would have been neat if they still only appeared in obvious boss arenas. I did like, for example, how the Arch-Vile appears at the end of Map 11, which is the last map before the Earth-based maps. Reminded me a bit of the surprise appearance by the barons at the end of Phobos Anomaly.

nxGangrel said:

Also the fact that zombie marines are in hell (episode 3) and the place is abundant with fucking guns, ammo, armor, and health packs. WTF!

Personally, I think that a bunch of marines on Deimos basically said "screw it, let's get off this island", took a bunch of supplies, and were then zombified.

Another thing that I hate about the game is the hitscanners like the spiderdemon.
Damn, those bullets are really hard to dodge. And I think that's why I had to use cheats to finish the final map of Doom 1.

The Spider Mastermind is on the top of my most disliked monster for that reason. As much as people point to the Archvile and Revanant, their attacks can be avoided, the former's attack being choreographed well in advanced and the latter's can be avoided by directing them into obstacles. Once the Spider starts shooting, every missed shot is pure luck.

It's a high HP Chaingunner that you can't tap down in a few shots and, if well-positioned, forces you to maximize the use of cover or suffer consistent chip damage like lava or slime. It's very easy to cheese by exploiting cover due to the terrible reaction time and huge-ass hitbox. You can frequently just fire a plasma stream or something at the edge of the feet where it can't even shoot you.

Unf said:

Doom 2 didnt have good city textures.

I think I know how this might've happened.

Lead designer comes to the art team:
- Guise, we have a new theme for our amazing addon-slash-sequel, so we need you to make us a bunch of city textures!

He then quickly runs away to continue his deathmatching binge. Artists (all at once):
- Such a great, imaginative idea! Cities in hell! Can't wait to start drawing!

BLAKWALs probably came later, after the rest of the team got out of the binge, discovered the state of the texture set, and had to remedy the situation really quickly.

Guest Unregistered account
AbhinandAnilDoomguy said:

But most monsters do wake up to the chainsaw sound. They also wake up to the "sound" of the fists.

Joe-ilya said the idle Chainsaw sound, not the attacking sound.

Da Werecat said:

BLAKWALs probably came later, after the rest of the team got out of the binge, discovered the state of the texture set, and had to remedy the situation really quickly.

I'm quite sure that this is the source of the BLAKWAL textures.

Game being way too easy. Fortunately, this gets easily solved with fast monsters.

Then, my gripe would be that a box of shotgun shells and energy cell pack give disproportionate amount of ammo. 20 shells is a LOT and 100 cells likewise. Meanwhile, poor bullets are stuck on 50 for biggest pickup.
15-16 shells per box, 80 cells per cell pack, 60 bullets per bullet box and 15 per clip would have been perfect.

Oh and also as mentioned before, the huge damage spreads of monsters can indeed get very frustrating. A little too much RNG for my taste. Averaging the damage values and then adding 15-20% possible spread from that value would feel much better and consistent I think.

Unf said:

Doom should have been named The Chasm.

But then it might get confused with the game called - Chasm: The Rift https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chasm:_The_Rift

When you have a backpack, it takes 5 boxes of shells to fully load you up, 6 cell charge packs, 8 boxes of ammo, but 20 boxes of rockets. Conclusion: it is the rockets that are too few per box.

Also, why are there no scientists in Doom 1? You're in a SCIENCE facility. Why are all the zombies and corpses there marines?

MetroidJunkie said:

Once the Spider starts shooting, every missed shot is pure luck.

But the real problem is that I play the game with Brutal Doom, so those bullets are explosive as well. But they're easy to dodge because the bullets are visible.

nxGangrel said:

Also, why are there no scientists in Doom 1? You're in a SCIENCE facility. Why are all the zombies and corpses there marines?

Obviously all scientists were killed by the demons or they might have escaped to earth for safety, and the marines sent to investigate this incident were possessed. Why do you see radiation suits everywhere? Those suits might've belonged to the scientists and their corpses might be hidden away.

nxGangrel said:

And then John was a scientist.

Another thing I'll address, is how a pain HELLemental can do whatever the fuck he wants to anyone and no one gives a flying shitstick about it! What the fuck?

^I hate how the pain elemental has arms that do nothing and the invisibility sphere doesn't make you invisible.

AbhinandAnilDoomguy said:

Obviously all scientists were killed by the demons or they might have escaped to earth for safety, and the marines sent to investigate this incident were possessed. Why do you see radiation suits everywhere? Those suits might've belonged to the scientists and their corpses might be hidden away.

Yeah, because obviously ALL the scientists that are dead are missing, and none of them have been zombified. Yet there are dead bodies of marines around all the bases and many have been zombified. Great logic there.

Kapanyo said:

Joe-ilya said the idle Chainsaw sound, not the attacking sound.

id should have rigged the fists to not alert enemies, then it would be more useful. Imagine if it was like notarget where it only alerts the enemy you directly punched, then you could have some stealth going on with it.

MetroidJunkie said:

id should have rigged the fists to not alert enemies, then it would be more useful. Imagine if it was like notarget where it only alerts the enemy you directly punched, then you could have some stealth going on with it.

Made me wish the knife was silent in Wolf3D, because it acts as if you shot a gun when you use it against an enemy. Thankfully most feature-heavy mods make the knife silent.

Cyanosis said:

Made me wish the knife was silent in Wolf3D, because it acts as if you shot a gun when you use it against an enemy.

Pretty strange for a game that was started as a stealth action.

I don't see why anyone would have a problem with the master levels, they were simply custom maps by the developers themselves rather than by the community.

* RNG (What makes them think this was a good idea? I want to be able to fully calculate how many hits I can take, and how much damage I can do.)

* The backpack. For some reason I just don't like the fact that it boosts how much ammo you can hold.

* Melee hit detection even though it makes tyson runs more interesting.

TendaMonsta said:

What makes them think this was a good idea?

Back then, Doom wasn't as widely perceived as this gameplay-centric sports apparatus. Most likely, RNG was there to improve the "simulation" aspect of the game. It makes the combat feel less artificial by mimicking zonal damage.

Admittedly, in certain cases it's a bit overdone.