Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MTF Sergeant

What if there was a flamethrower?

I have this feeling in my mind all day since DOOM came out: What if there was a FLAMETHROWER in the game? And if you get it, what would you do with it?

"What would you do with it?"

Apart from set demons on fire? It could introduce a cool little puzzle element into nu-doom, like the double jump boots did. It'd allow for better hidden secrets and some unique puzzles the player would have to solve.

This is the sort of weaponry they should introduce in Doom 5 IMO.

AwesomeO-789 said:

This is the sort of weaponry they should introduce in Doom 5 IMO.

I'm afraid that'll take another 12 years.

MFG38 said:

I'm afraid that'll take another 12 years.

I'd be shocked if it did end up taking another decade, given that Doom is under Bethesda's wing now and they've got a whole plot set up for Doom 5. But eh, anything's possible really.

AbhinandAnilDoomguy said:

And if you get it, what would you do with it?

I don't think this weapon would fit well because it's slow paced and short-range.

AwesomeO-789 said:

given that Doom is under Bethesda's wing now and they've got a whole plot set up for Doom 5

Really? Did they mention that somewhere?

igg said:

I don't think this weapon would fit well because it's slow paced and short-range.

I think it would fit well as an anti-Pinky measure. Bone armour does not do s*** to protect you from napalm.
Slow-paced? What is slow-paced about it? Most demons would be as good as dead when they are immolated. And it provides a constant stream of fire, which means it is not a slow weapon. Gauss Cannon is a slow weapon, yet I have not found a single opinion stating it does not fit Doom.
Short-range? Doom was always mainly set in levels focusing on short-range combat. And its premier weapons are shotguns.
Personally, I am all for a flamethrower in new Doom. Its utterly savage nature is apt for a game about battling hellish horrors. The Mancubus' Cannon is available as a weapon in Brutal Doom, which is one of the strong points of that mod. It fries everything in a blink - I only not tried it on bosses because they are too intimidating to take on in close combat. Everything else is toast real quick. I am disappointed it is absent in Doom 4, which makes a point around brutal finishers, but at the same time it lacks the proper gore in other aspects (no remains are left from slain demons, no bloodstains, no special death animations from Plasma Rifle). Perhaps it is too hard to have a Brutal Doom-esque gore on current graphics engine. Still, the flamethrower should be in.

shotfan said:

I think it would fit well as a anti-Pinky measure.

Yes it will. But the Explosive Shot from the shotgun utterly destroys some Pinky ass.

igg said:

Really? Did they mention that somewhere?

I didn't mean it as in they already have a plot ready for Doom 5, I meant it as in

Spoiler

they set up a sequel pretty well with Doom 4's ending

YukiHerz said:

Demons are immune to heat :V

Then why they die from Plasma Rifle or BFG shots, both being thermal-based weapons?

Plasma Rifle is stated to inflict damage via kinetic and thermal energy, not Argent. Besides - does not Chaingun have an upgrade for Gatling Rotator that makes it fire incendiary rounds, which are more damaging than ordinary ones?

That could have been a cool mod for the assault rifle (instead of the scope). Like some kind of underslung flamethrower.

Actually, I would want an underslung flamethrower for a Shotgun. Now that would be a formidable CQC weapon! >:] (As of yet, Project Brutality at least have that Dragon's Breath ammo, which is a nice substitute for a Shotgun+Flamethrower combo... but I digress)

Flame throwers in video games almost always either completely suck or are extremely overpowered. Either they have laughably short range and take forever to kill the enemy (at worst the enemies on fire can actually harm you as well with their flames) or they are extremely overpowered weapons of death that can destroy everything in seconds.

A flamethrower just doesn't fit Doom honestly.

hardcore_gamer said:

Flame throwers in video games almost always either completely suck or are extremely overpowered. Either they have laughably short range and take forever to kill the enemy (at worst the enemies on fire can actually harm you as well with their flames) or they are extremely overpowered weapons of death that can destroy everything in seconds.

A flamethrower just doesn't fit Doom honestly.

While I do agree with your last statement (without really having a good argument for why I feel that way...), I would argue that it is within the realm of possibility to have a flamethrower that is actually good.

Technically, if flamethrowers are either too weak or too overpowered, the golden solution would logically be to place its firepower right between the two extremes, i.e. give it average range and medium firepower.

(I personally liked the Aerosol can "flamethrower" from blood, even if it is decidedly in the "weak" category - still worked well against zombies and fatty-zombies).

Just because it hasn't been done yet doesn't mean it cannot be done.

How about an ice weapon? THAT could be used as a puzzle element similarly to Metroid where you freeze a Cacodemon or something and then jump on it to get to a secret area that would ordinarily be out of reach.

MetroidJunkie said:

How about an ice weapon? THAT could be used as a puzzle element similarly to Metroid where you freeze a Cacodemon or something and then jump on it to get to a secret area that would ordinarily be out of reach.

I feel like the plasma gun is very close to a flamethrower because it sprays out a bunch of plasma really quickly and kills most demons quickly aswell, but the idea of a flamethrower in game is really cool and I think I might try to put an idea like that into a future WAD I make or something like that

If you think about it, it pretty much IS a flamethrower in a way because plasma is basically the 4th phase beyond gas, super heated to the max.

Flamethrowers in games such any way, the eat up to many of the games resources, can drop framerate. I would rather see a dev team work on the game engine running better or other things to put alloted resources into rather then a flamethrower.

i would prefer seeing Archvile come with a flamethrower; keep flamethrower in WolfenDoom and off limit from regular doom.

MrGlide said:

Flamethrowers in games such any way, the eat up to many of the games resources, can drop framerate. I would rather see a dev team work on the game engine running better or other things to put alloted resources into rather then a flamethrower.

Well in most games they are a particle spray 3d effect, which is 2 dimensional in theory. So one enemy demon model would probably screw your framerate way more than a flamethrower

Demons are very likely fireproof on the outside, so a flamethrower would make little sense unless you crammed it down their throats and up their arseholes.

What I'd love to see, though, is a gun that blasts sound waves.

Maybe in the form of this song, because it rips and tears gloriously without neglecting the cheese factor.

TAPETRVE said:

Demons are very likely fireproof on the outside

Then why can mancubi kill other monsters with their flamethrowers?

Point. Still, I'm not convinced it makes for a satisfying player weapon. Again, Anaal Cannon FTW :-3 .