Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Katamori

What are you playing now?

rileymartin said:

Been playing some Congestion 1024. I'm up to map 31 and I'm not sure how I feel about some of the gameplay decisions. The fact that you spend most of the time with 100HP and no armour leads to a lot of cheap feeling deaths.

I'm not sure if this is a known thing or not, but it seems like there is a type of gameplay that I'd lump into the category of being "prickly".

Typical characteristics:

- Not many opportunities to go high above 100 HP.
- Not much armor. If there is a green armor, you'll probably run out of it at some point and not be able to get it back.
- Plenty of revenants and hitscanners.
- Lost souls and PEs, possibly.
- The single shotgun and chaingun do a lot of the heavy lifting. The shotgun in particular is paired with monsters that have slightly too much HP for killing them to be smooth, but not so much HP that it's boring (chaingunners, pinkies, revenants, the occasional HK or 'tron or manc).
- The chainsaw is usually the primary melee weapon if there is one (not always). Get ready to chainsaw revenants and do other awkward things with it!
- Cramped scale. If not, environmental hazards like damaging floors and crushers enforce a lot of movement restriction. Barrels might be used.
- If the rocket launcher is handed out with ample ammo, there will be an emphasis on its use in tight spaces, perhaps even awkward ones e.g. with lots of 8x8 pillars and such all over the place. Otherwise like most heavier weapons it'll be strictly controlled.
- Lots of area denial via turrets -- hitscanners and AVs usually, but also sometimes revenants and cybers and other monsters.
- Detailing usually intrudes on the playspace, often serving as a legitimate threat.

These maps aren't necessarily hard. For example I'd classify many of the early maps of Ancient Aliens and also map11 and map12 as somewhat prickly, despite also being quite easy. The emphasis on low-DPS weaponry and ways of doling out damage that are uncomfortable is the biggest thing. (The point of withholding the green armor and using lots of revs is to try to get your screen blindingly red.)

Single shotgun vs. revenant combat is a microcosm of prickliness to me. There's something really mechanically "off" about it. Not sure what, but it's weird.

Playing Valiant right now. It's a big change of pace from BTSX ep1 which I recently finished. So much more unsafe, exposed areas that require very aggressive playstyles. And setpieces. Setpiece encounters everywhere.

The new guns and monsters are great too. Keeps the game fresh when even Imps are a real threat. Anyway I'm halfway through and really enjoying it.

Recently started playing Resurgence, heard some pretty brutal things about it regarding Archviles. I can kind of see it, but I only just got to MAP32 so I expect a lot more suffering to come.

It's rather enjoyable so far however, the level design and aesthetics are fantastic even if the monster placement is somewhat suspect. Kind of reminds me of Bloodstain in that aspect.

Played through the last map (12) of Vanguard yesterday. I had played the first 11 with the Megawad Club back in, uh...wow, March. But I put level 12 off because I needed a break after 11, and I remembered it being just a massive slaughter. In fact, I think this one was easier. Granted, I was playing HMP continuous, and with saves (though I only died once, when I got careless around a cyber) but there was so much ammo and armor and spheres and radsuits, and when the swarms came out I could retreat to the high ground and let infighting do much of my work. I credit Vanguard with making me a far better player, so I played much better this time around. It was still a fantastic map, very enjoyable; even if it had a smaller footprint than I remembered, it was still pretty epic.

It's for a while that I didn't know what new wads to play, so after I discovered that Monti made a Doom 2 megawad in 2012 I started Eviltech. I'm almost done with E1 and I really like it so far, though I'm more intrigued to see the big E2 levels after looking at the idgames comments.

I'm currently plowing my way through The Golden Souls and I'm enjoying it. One thing I don't like though is that most of the stock DOOM II weapons were replaced with worse counterparts. The rocket launcher replacement has way worse DPS than the original rocket launcher and the plasma gun replacement is straight-up garbage, barring a few extremely specific situations. It also doesn't help that the the shotgun replacements and the chaingun replacement seem to have about the same DPS, with reloading being the only hurdle that puts the shotgun replacements in second place. However, the style and (most of) the level design is what has kept me playing the wad and having a good time.

I recently finished The Golden Souls (including the post-credits levels) and I'm satisfied with it. The open level design was a nice change of pace from the tight levels of DOOM and DOOM II. The Boo-esque lost souls were a real pain though. They didn't fit with the gameplay of DOOM at all.

I also did another playthrough of DOOM II with Xaser's Parkour mod and I'm surprised by how much I'm enjoying it. I knew that I would like the mod's main gameplay hooks (wall jumping + dashing), but I find myself appreciating the redesigned weapons. Most of them now have clips and have to be reloaded, but in return their rate of fire is increased. The pistol now fires as fast as you can hit the button, so pinkies can be taken down in several seconds with the dual-pistols. The mod adds an element of DPS control to the standard DOOM gameplay, which hits that sweet spot between old school and new school design for me. Also, as someone who knows how to program but doesn't have any artistic talent, it's inspiring to see a mod that does so much without ever once using custom assets.

Playing Scythe 2 UV pistol start no saves currently on map 18 and near to rage quit from this megawad. You cannot imagine how much pissed me off map 15...

I just went through a big Freedom 1 phase, it finally got under my skin. The serpent (imp replacement) is maybe my favorite enemy sprite after the cyberdemon. And the goopy white baron replacements that moan creep me out. Well done. Only trouble is a lot of switch hunting in the levels.

Also taking another run at Ancient Aliens, episode 2. On first try I ran out of ammo on the second map and said chuck it.

Need to try some more Urania. Stopped at map06 I think. That shit is tricky!

Paul977 said:

Playing Scythe 2 UV pistol start no saves currently on map 18 and near to rage quit from this megawad. You cannot imagine how much pissed me off map 15...

Good luck. It doesn't get any easier.

Playing Sunlust on UV, in the middle of map 15 right now. It's almost too hard to be fun anymore. Almost.

I also finished E1-E3 of Ultimate Doom on Nightmare, but E4 keeps kicking my ass.

Currently playing DTWID: Lost Episodes and having a blast. I ripped through E1 in 2 nights. Not a ton of challenge (it plays like the OG IWAD, of course) but it's a heck of a lot of fun.

Aquanet said:

I just went through a big Freedom 1 phase, it finally got under my skin. The serpent (imp replacement) is maybe my favorite enemy sprite after the cyberdemon. And the goopy white baron replacements that moan creep me out. Well done. Only trouble is a lot of switch hunting in the levels.

I played version 0.9 back in late 2014, and was impressed by just how much fun the levels were.

trem0lo said:

Good luck. It doesn't get any easier.

Thanks. I've read the txt file and seems that from map 23 onward is pure carnage.. tho from the first 21 maps played level 15 has been the toughest. Let's see how it goes

@Rathori: Gg on completing of ultimate doom e1-e3 on nightmere

Just finished up The Talosian Incident and Thief - Trial of the Arch-Heretic.

Talosian has some cool maps but it feels rather dated now, it doesn't exactly look pretty and dear god there is so much symmetry.

ThiefHeretic was really cool though, always nice to see Heretic stuff as nobody really makes anything for it, and having the whole Thief feel as well was lovely.

I've been going through DOOM64 EX again for the third time. Last playthrough was a couple years ago. And then three years before that. Still a solid game.

Want to go through the PSX Doom TC again sometime too since it got updated + lost levels.

Finally beaten map 26 of Claustrophobia 2 (an awesome megafun 'one of my favourite' megawad), Into the Skies. Years ago this was on the maps which I wasn't able to beat (always died in the last wave of monsters) and now I've beaten this level, yes !

Playing Super Sonic Doom. I really hate how it makes it mandatory to lose your weapons at some point, I had the bfg for like, 1-3 maps and the next thing I know, im only using the fists with berserk.

EDIT: I found another bfg after lots and lots of zdoom stealth monsters.

Just finished map 10 of Sunder. I feel like Gazebo phoned it in during the 2nd half with the unlimited rocket ammo and holding the trigger down for 10+ minutes on slowly advancing meat from a single direction. A redundant 1k or so monsters could be cut and the map would flow better. Hopefully I don't fall asleep during The Furnace with it's 5k+ enemies.
Edit: Fell asleep during The Furnace.

I've finished Jenesis on HMP. Pretty good stuff, with the exception of the Icon of Sin stuff lol. I hate Icon of Sin.

Combat Shock currently, as part of my final stage of Sunlust preparations. After that, it'll be time to finally take on Sunlust itself, since I'll be all out of excuses/wads to hide behind!

ChekaAgent said:

I'm currently playing

Spoiler

nothing.

yeah, that's a really good WAD. how far are you?

Been playing through a bunch of Chris Hansen maps. Got quite a good collection of his wads. Also, to warm up for playing Alien Vendetta with the DWMC, I'll be playing Vorpal's Black Label map along with Karthik and Varun Abhirama's maps.

Been playing lots of Quake 1 and Raptor: Call of the Shadows. Just finished the Terra maps for Quake. Going to try out the Honey maps next.

Edit: I just realised this wasn't the all encompassing now playing thread. My bad.

I'm barreling through Japanese Community Project and having a blast. While there are a few parts of a few levels that irk me, the rest of the project is really enjoyable at every turn. The variety of the arenas and aesthetics make the whole wad a real treat.

Just finished Sunder. Gameplay quality took a sharp nosedive halfway through map 10 and never really recovered. Brave use of super bumpy floors though!