Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Coraline

3DGE 2.1.0 Test3 Released (12.13.2017)

The EDGE team is proud to present EDGE 2.1.0-Test3! Grab it from Sourceforge:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/edge2/files/3DGE_binaries/2.1/2.1.0/Test-3/

There are such a massive amount of changes, bugfixes, additions (like ZDoom/Vavoom/etc UDMF support, PolyObjects, DDF improvements and additions, Camera-Man Scripting engine, and completely fixed framerate interpolation/Vsync, and lots of speed additions)!

Far too many changes to list here (see CHANGELOG.txt for more information...and I KNOW I've left out a ton that can be found logged on Github).

Test2 should now be avoided LIKE THE PLAGUE!

The things that we didn't have time for that will be on the roadmap for 2.1.0 Final:

* Complete ROTT support

* Complete PolyObject support

* GUI-based IWAD Selector

* Multiplayer

* More GLSL shaders, including a compiler at run-time for custom user-made stuff

* Inventory Support (Heretic, Hexen)

* heavily-optimised BSP walking/rendering

* Finalised BOOM support

* Even closer compatibility to ZDoom, like ACS, etc.

There are so many people to thank -- the wonderful EDGE programmers (especially Andrew Apted), the stupendous EDGE community, the amazing GZDoom team, our friends from ZDOOM, Quasar|Eternity/Fraggle/etc, the amazing programmers here at Doomworld, and all of the contributors that have helped preserve the legacy of DOSDoom/EDGE. So much to do and not enough time to do it :-)

So, enjoy! Keep reporting those bugs, and if all goes well, 2.1.0 Final won't be far off! Sure as hell won't take us another 15 months for a release, but that's what hard work and a dedication can do sometimes...lol! :-D

Edited by Coraline

Chu said:

For modders, I have been updating the 3DGEWiki to bring the DDF/RTS/COAL tutorials and guides up to date.

This is the best thing. :D

What will the release number of the first SDL2 build be? 2.0.5? 2.1? 3?

Can't wait for the conversion, which you said would eventually include fixed split screen capability.

Danfun64 said:

What will the release number of the first SDL2 build be? 2.0.5? 2.1? 3?

Can't wait for the conversion, which you said would eventually include fixed split screen capability.

SDL2 will be the beginning of the 2.1x branch. And yes, splitplay will be finished when we release the first build of that. Most of the SDL2 port is already finished, save for video mode changing (SDL_ListModes not existing anymore has made it a real PITA). 2.1x will also bring a ton more, like faster rendering speeds for large maps and full Heretic/Hexen, and hopefully Strife support (using RTS to manage most of the conversation system, since we have HUBS already). Also, an actual networking component (which sort of works already, but nothing between PCs are synced properly).

Awesome, I tried this out last night and things were weird and stuttery, even after changing settings, but I changed them more today and it seems fine. So, great! There's still a bit of a choppy/not-entirely-interpolated feeling when moving, I can't put my finger on what it is though. Maybe I'll try a screen capture to see if I can figure out what. It's definitely a major improvement over 2.0.3 though.

Are you interested in Heretic bugreports etc? I'm sure you're aware of some things not working already. One particular thing I noticed was that for music, MUS_E1M1 plays on every level, which is odd.

Eventually, the SSE build will superscede the older NOSSE binary. For now, we are happy to provide our userbase with both flavors ;)

Heh, thanks. Do you (or other people) notice a big performance difference in the two?

plums said:

Are you interested in Heretic bugreports etc? I'm sure you're aware of some things not working already. One particular thing I noticed was that for music, MUS_E1M1 plays on every level, which is odd.

This can actually be fixed in playlist.ddf (in the her_ddf directory), since all tracks are set to "MUS_E1M1", which was placeholder at the time. I will edit those entries to match the appropriate tracks and release the DDFs via SF.

Oh cool, thanks. I can do it and post it here (or PM you or whatever) if that would help.

edit: or not? Under the "Doom 1" there are mostly appropriate MUS_ExMy tracks, does Heretic use different track indices or something? I'll see if I can figure it out..

edit2: OK there are some other DDFs that need editing. I'll give it a whirl.

Thanks for those plums! I integrated them into her_ddf (and will commit the changes to Git asap). They work great!

I really need to rewrite the Heretic status bar via COAL, but I've been so busy with other things related to 3DGE, I'll try to do it this weekend.

CeeJay said:

I supposed so. If you tap forward or backwards player continues to slide a bit after you let go of the button. I'm so used to it myself but I can understand how this can be a problem for people using the mouse for movement. Could be wrong, but I believe this is inherited from the original game (as it was back in '93), 'twas a time when people mostly used keyboard only setup since the computer mice of that era weren't exactly reliable or precise.

RIDE_FRICTION didn't seem to do a thing.

Chu said:

Okay, it will be easy for me to implement.
Do other source ports stop the player movement immediately when coming to a full stop? I also think that was inherited from Vanilla..

Was it eventually implemented?

Yes, the wrong way though. Going to make it a flag in the PLAYER1 entry via DDF to control it rather than a hardcoded thing.

I've encountered a problem: when moving, the screen seems to shake.
Also, does the autoaim work properly for projectiles now? I haven't checked it myself because of the above-mentioned problem.

Mike800 said:

I've encountered a problem: when moving, the screen seems to shake.
Also, does the autoaim work properly for projectiles now? I haven't checked it myself because of the above-mentioned problem.

Seems to shake? Frequently?
Pull down the console:
R_vsync 0
R_maxfps 0

Reload the map.
See if that will help. Anyone having the slightest issue with interpolation should set those values.

About autoaim:

Autoaim for projectiles should work by default, as it works even with Mouselook autoaiming. You have it turned on in Gameplay Options, right? Just gotta make sure.

I'm gonna try it later. Can I add these commands to the command line instead, like in ZDoom?

Mike800 said:

I'm gonna try it later. Can I add these commands to the command line instead, like in ZDoom?

Yes, that also works, and will change the value in EDGE2.cfg appropriately.

Chu said:

Seems to shake? Frequently?
Pull down the console:
R_vsync 0
R_maxfps 0

Reload the map.
See if that will help.

That solved the problem, thanks.
However, there are some issues I want to address:
*The autoaim doesn't work for the projectile at slot 8 in Duke it Out in DOOM. However, it works for the RPG, but not consistently.
*The player movement doesn't stop immediately when coming to a full stop. In future release, will there be an option for the player to set it to stop immediately or
close to it?
*Adding the CVARs above to the command line (+R_vsync 0 +R_maxfps 0) doesn't work. I hope that in future release these changes will not be necessary.
*If I'm not mistaken, when pressing use after the player dies, it restarts the level instead of loading the last saved game.
Overall, the engine really improved lately, I enjoy it more than before.

Mike800 said:

*If I'm not mistaken, when pressing use after the player dies, it restarts the level instead of loading the last saved game.

This is actually just leftover vanilla Doom behaviour.

Mike800 said:

*Adding the CVARs above to the command line (+R_vsync 0 +R_maxfps 0) doesn't work.

Don't use the +. I forget, but I dont think they use operators to get added.

Try either -r_vsync 0, or just r_vsync 0, and chain them one after the other. One of those two will work as I tested it right away. Not at my PC, and I dont remember which method it is.

Overall, the engine really improved lately, I enjoy it more than before.

I am really glad to hear that!! Finally, useful and constructive feedback :-)

Dropped the first release of 2.1.0 Test-1 today, download below:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/edge2/files/3DGE%20binaries/2.1/2.1.0/Test-1/

Keep in mind that this is a test release (not official).

If possible, generate a new edge2.cfg and edit your resolution inside of the file, as a lot has changed that will require a clean config. Resolution handling for now is broken, so just define height and width in your config after you start an instance of 3DGE, or use the command line.

Changelog:

New things:

* SDL2 support (input, video, controllers, networking)
* OPL music synth. You can now remove the 8MBGMPAT folder from any previous release and skip using Timidity altogether. If OPL is not selected, just set it as the active music device and restart the map. Also can select OPL3 mode.
* ZDoom's grAb chunk recognized for PNG, so it will use those offsets if defined. Just leave offsets out of Images.ddf if you are using those (defined in SLADE and other programs).
* PAK file handling.
* DDF math and engine math has been refactored and sped up.
* Better glBSP building.
* Better interpolation handling.
* Much smaller EXE under VS, smaller zip package since we no longer need to include GUS patches.
* Tons of serious optimizations.

Test2 will have:
* PK3 archive handling.

Broken things:
* resolution handling
* Other oddities (shift+X works in the console, but not all characters translate properly, like Tilde, but we don't use that anyway).
* r_Spriteflip

Have fun and please report as many bugs as possible! This release should, out-of-box just *work* better than 2.0.4.

If you get errors about missing DLLs, you might need the vs_redist_x86 installed:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=48145

Danfun64 said:

Are you saying that timidity and gus patch support have been removed?

No, I'm saying that the Patchsets aren't re-distributed with the ZIPs anymore. Means that if you want to playback with Timidity, you will need to set it up as per the instructions. Or, just import your previous 8MBGMPAT folder into the new directory to continue using Timidity playback, as long as its selected in the Sound menu.

Huge part of why OPL exists now - as it was becoming a pain to pack in those huge patchsets everytime we made a new release. Otherwise, Windows users would complain that neither music player would work (MS broke it with Vista and up), and they would never read the instructions on how to set Timidity up (downloading patchsets seemed like extra work nobody wanted to do).

Just a quick update: we released 3DGE 2.1.0-Test2 the other day, and it has more bugfixes than any previous release, as well as a few new features.

See the first post for the CHANGELOG and download.

Test3 will have PK3 support, two NEW DDF types (sprites.ddf and terrain.ddf), and a host of other fixes (GL2 mode, etc). We are improving stability, speeding up the engine, and adding long-requested features, so we think once 2.1.0 is done, it will truly mark the point where 3DGE has evolved into a stable, moddable source port. ;)

Any questions or feedback, feel free to ask away. Enjoy!

Chu said:

+ Bug Fix: DOOM 1 episode end maps will skip intermission screen instead of displaying stats screen (Added STATS=NONE;)

IMHO this isn't really a bug, some ports add it as a feature (Doom Retro and PrBoom+ IIRC), so it'd be nice if this was made an option in the settings. Just my opinion, though.

And it's really good that you're adding ROTT support! We might be geting a decent port of it at last! :] And when you finish full Heretic support, this will be da bomb.

Every time i try to run the linux exe on my 64-bit Ubuntu setup, I get the error "./edge.linux: error while loading shared libraries: libcpuid.so.13: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory" and i'm not sure how to fix it...

I will ask the Linux users - sounds like you might need the run-time library, but I don't use Linux. I will ask and update shortly.

How is everyone liking the new build over previous versions?

Danfun64 said:

It would help if it could natively compiled a 64-bit binary instead of only produce a 32-bit one.

Ubuntu only runs programs that match its architecture? Or did I misread that? There is currently no rush in producing a 64-bit binary for any platforms until we get out of the Testing phase. It would not make much difference as it stands, so I doubt that is your problem here.

Regardless, I do not deal with the Linux builds, and I am still waiting on a solution to your problem.

I will get back to you though, i promise!

It can run 32-bit programs, but on 64-bit platforms its easier to compile 64-bit programs. Some development libraries can't have both the 32-bit and 64-bit versions installed at once.

Danfun64 said:

It can run 32-bit programs, but on 64-bit platforms its easier to compile 64-bit programs. Some development libraries can't have both the 32-bit and 64-bit versions installed at once.

Right - for some reason the Linux version was not compiled Statically (that's a really big deal), so I will compile a version that is statically linked, and we should be good to go.

Found that here, for reference.

Linux users:

Gorin from the 3DGE forums posted this:

For the 3DGE 2.1.0-Test2 Linux version it requires the library libcpuid.so.13
Well I tried to find that and I compiled the libcpuid thing, used "sudo make install" for the library too. But no success 3DGE can't find the package.

Putting those library under /lib seems to fix it.

Try that out and tell me if it works!