Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Potatoguy

Games you wished had one more sequel...?

A lot of games I've wanted to see sequels to have gotten them, at least spiritually.

I've waited for a Dungeon Keeper 3 forever, and someone made War for the Overworld (which was originally DK3's subtitle). I've waited for a proper Syndicate 3, and a dev made Satellite Reign, which iirc has some of the original people behind the first in the series (?) I've waited for a proper X-Com sequel, and I got XCOM and XCOM 2 from Firaxis. I've waited for a proper DOOM sequel, and obviously we just got that. System Shock is not only getting a third game but a remake as well. Even Descent is getting another game!

Yet there are still some I'd enjoy seeing. Be it sequel, or remake, or if it's older, a proper port. Quake 5 & Blood 3 spring to mind immediately. Hexen 3 would be refreshing in the sea of first person spass murhine shooters, and I recall a game coming out called Hellraid had some pretty intense Hexen vibes but I think it got delayed?

A proper Command & Conquer 4 would be highly fucking appreciated, another Red Alert, another Generals... Cliffy B recently mentioned Epic should bring Unreal back like a big open RPG world like Skyrim, that'd be sweet. I see mention of Shogo, hated the first game, thought the execution was just abysmal, but seeing a better effort with today's tech would be cool because I liked the idea.

I'd love to see another No One Lives Forever, and another FEAR to make up for the shit third. I'd also love to see another Onimusha, and all the older titles come to PC. That'd fucking rock.

Spellcraft: Aspects of Valor, Crystalis, Battle of Olympus, Monster Bash, Raptor: Call of the Shadows, Battle Chess, Afro Samurai, prolly others heh.

Quake 1

Road Rash (i guess that Road Redemption game sort of counts)

Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas - When the PSP was popular i was hoping for a San Andreas Stories, similar to what was done already with Vice City Stories and Liberty City Stories but it never came to fruition. I don't count GTA V as a successor to San Andreas. If something like San Andreas Stories would have came out it would most likely have been a prequel like the other "Stories" games were.

I would also want an actual single player MechWarrior campaign rather than all the multiplayer stuff that's been coming out. MechWarrior 3 gave me many fun memories in my childhood.

I'd like a Hexen III as well. Also, a modern-day follow-up to the Last Ninja & Shadow Of The Beast trilogies, provided the developers were able to make something else than a lame 3d-action game out of either.

Cyanosis said:

Manhunt 3, ditto R* again but considering how niche the original was and how well MH2 fared highly unlikely.

I believe the only way this would work would be to remove the executions mechanic. This seemed to be the number 1 offender when it came to ratings from the BBFC, ESRB, USK ect. It was probably due to this that it was flat-out banned from various countries.

This would bring it down to GTA levels of acceptable violence. What ever that is. Context is probably important here.

Unfortunately this would also take away a vital component of the game and what represents it.

Nonetheless it'll be interesting how they would tackle the next one, seeing as it's still within Rockstar's interests. Only now they'd have to tread even more carefully, seeing as there's a lot more sensitive butterflies out there.

Shaviro said:

Definitely one in the X-Wing or Dark Forces series.

Strange that there isn't another Dark Forces game. A FPS set in the Star Wars universe would sell great any time.

Six said:

I believe the only way this would work would be to remove the executions mechanic. This seemed to be the number 1 offender when it came to ratings from the BBFC, ESRB, USK ect. It was probably due to this that it was flat-out banned from various countries.

This would bring it down to GTA levels of acceptable violence. What ever that is. Context is probably important here.

Unfortunately this would also take away a vital component of the game and what represents it.

Nonetheless it'll be interesting how they would tackle the next one, seeing as it's still within Rockstar's interests. Only now they'd have to tread even more carefully, seeing as there's a lot more sensitive butterflies out there.

The first Manhunt still let you execute people in grisly ways (for the time) and passed with an M. When Manhunt 2 came out the Wii and motion controls where the hot new craze and R* decided to port it to the Wii, which I firmly believe is the reason why it got so much flak and got censored. Now you could swing and stab and chop with the Wiimote, and if you look at news coverage for the game, they concentrate heavily on the Wii version. Hilary Clinton's letter to the ESRB also specifically mentions "the ESRB must take into consideration the new ways to control video games" or something to that effect.

I think they could get away with a new Manhunt, and still have it be ultra-violent and disgusting nowadays, but I think the whole troubled development on the second, then the controversy, probably drained any and all interest in the game. There was already infighting supposedly when they were developing the first.

I remember for the longest time wanting a Jet Force Gemini 2, but for a while now I've been thinking why that probably wouldn't be the greatest idea and personally I don't mind just sticking with the original at this point. Even if there was a second one it would just be on the Xbox One and I don't see myself getting one anytime soon.

Six said:

Wouldn't matter now because R* gets away with much more today than they could back then. Also other games have similarly violent executions (Mafia III comes to mind for more recent or Hatred from last year) so it's not exactly shocking anymore. The context probably plays a bigger part however (snuff films).

Twisted Metal. The 2012 version for PS3 actually has some of the series' finest moments, but it's brought down by new gameplay mechanics that don't always work. The result is a campaign that's just a little too grueling at times. Multiplayer was practically dead within a year of the game's release which is really sad.

valkiriforce said:

I remember for the longest time wanting a Jet Force Gemini 2, but for a while now I've been thinking why that probably wouldn't be the greatest idea and personally I don't mind just sticking with the original at this point. Even if there was a second one it would just be on the Xbox One and I don't see myself getting one anytime soon.

Oh man the first one was really awesome, especially for its time. I wonder how well itd hold up today.

I wish Frictional would reprise Penumbra, I liked it a lot better than the Amnesia series.

Also more Monkey Island, why not.

I would absolutely love a new Blood game, especially if it had the atmosphere and aesthetics of the first one. Even a remake would be great. The futuristic city stuff in Blood 2 wasn't really my cup of tea.

A Quake 1 sequel, a Jedi knight sequel(or maybe a reboot) and a Outlaws sequel, please, i need a Outlaws sequel.

Interplay Fallouts.
Quake 1.
Quake 3 - I mean, proper old-school, hard-core multiplayer Quake, not that Overwatch clone Bethesda's making. No classes, no special abilities, and definitely no weapon load-outs.
And a proper Full Throttle sequel.

Rathori said:

Quake 3 - I mean, proper old-school, hard-core multiplayer Quake

I'm seriously struggling to see the difference between Q3A and a Q5A without going the Champions route. Might as well keep playing Q3

TheWizard said:

I'm seriously struggling to see the difference between Q3A and a Q5A without going the Champions route. Might as well keep playing Q3

Same difference as Q2 online and Q3A. Updated graphics and engine, new arsenal, new maps and game modes, but the same basic feeling and gameplay mechanics.

And some fresh blood would be nice too. It's nearly impossible to find a Quake 3 server that has people playing on it (most of them are filled with bots), and even if you do find a game it's probably gonna be an instagib grappling-hook flying circus filled with elite players who've been playing Q3 for over 15 years and are impossible or a mere mortal to play against.

Dead Space, without EA's retarded influence that showed in the third game.

Rathori said:

Same difference as Q2 online and Q3A. Updated graphics and engine, new arsenal, new maps and game modes, but the same basic feeling and gameplay mechanics.

And some fresh blood would be nice too. It's nearly impossible to find a Quake 3 server that has people playing on it (most of them are filled with bots), and even if you do find a game it's probably gonna be an instagib grappling-hook flying circus filled with elite players who've been playing Q3 for over 15 years and are impossible or a mere mortal to play against.

CRom FFA is full of people depending on time of day but there's usually at least one person on, and Crom CTF/Freeze Tag is played on the weekends or weeknights.

Flesh420 said:

CRom FFA is full of people depending on time of day but there's usually at least one person on, and Crom CTF/Freeze Tag is played on the weekends or weeknights.

Thanks for the tip! I'll be sure to check it out.