Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Fonze

This Week in Doom is Back!

After far too long of a hiatus, "This Week in Doom" is back with some news on some awesome recent wads (some released during the hiatus)! I highly encourage everyone to check it out and stay tuned each week as more articles roll in. Also be sure to check out the main page for new, full reviews on wads and head over to our forums to post news about projects you're working on, or just to say "hello," hehe.

Doom Wad Station is also looking for some new blood to help write reviews here and there, or to help out with TWID. Any volunteers would be greatly appreciated, but we are looking mostly for consistent people, so even something small, but regular, would be better than a bunch of big, but intermittent things.

We thank you for your continued support, as well as hope you enjoy the reviews and articles. I'd also like to add a special thanks to all current mappers that put out such awesome material for me to cover and I highly encourage everyone to check out the wads featured in this week's article!

Cheers!

Nice job on TWiD - Straight-forward useful reviews. It helped me find some apparently good maps (I'm going to play them this weekend :) that I would have otherwise missed.

Thanks folks; it's my pleasure to do. Bob kept the site up for a long time and made it what it is; it's great to be part of it.

Hope you've enjoyed this article and look forward to many more :)

Those screenshots look a bit stretched out..what resolution are you using?

Bzzrak:

Wtf? I'll have to talk to Bob about the forums section. We had a small hiccup when it was first put up, but everything should be fine now. T
Something must have happened recently that I hadn't heard about.

Glaice:

These new modern source ports have wonky default resolutions that make actors look really skinny and square spaces really tall and narrow, which I can't stand. I think I'm using either 4:3 or 5:4 which is slightly wider than vanilla, but I like my pixels closer to square than tall and skinny.

Nice writeup! And thanks for mentioning Supplice - do not worry, self-mutilation isn't a technique of expression that I'm fond of.

Actually, to be completely honest, I was under the impression that Doom Wad Station is completely dead - mostly because of the terribly outdated web design. For me it looks like it still remembers 90's. It's not just about the lack of visual appeal, it's also hard to read and navigate through - which is a shame given the high quality of content.

Have you considered an overhaul? Also maybe a switch into a content management system? Seems that most of the stuff is straight HTML which is a huge pain to maintain - I can somewhat understand the reluctance to change that many files in this case, but still.

Aww, good old Doom Wad Station. I agree that an overhaul of the website could be a good thing, although I always get lots of nostalgia when I go there, because it looks almost exactly like it did back in 2004, when it was the first Doom community site I ever discovered. Hell, my forum handle comes from the fact that DWS's forums were for some reason assigning the name "Jabba" to all guest posters at the time.

Not Jabba said:

Hell, my forum handle comes from the fact that DWS's forums were for some reason assigning the name "Jabba" to all guest posters at the time.

hahahaha

bzzrak said:

Sorry to be dumb. I tried registering at DWS forums, and... well...
http://i.imgur.com/q7hrFW2.png

Ya, I had to block all. ru emails because of spamming bastards. Use gmail or something

Cage said:

Nice writeup! And thanks for mentioning Supplice - do not worry, self-mutilation isn't a technique of expression that I'm fond of.

Actually, to be completely honest, I was under the impression that Doom Wad Station is completely dead - mostly because of the terribly outdated web design. For me it looks like it still remembers 90's. It's not just about the lack of visual appeal, it's also hard to read and navigate through - which is a shame given the high quality of content.

Have you considered an overhaul? Also maybe a switch into a content management system? Seems that most of the stuff is straight HTML which is a huge pain to maintain - I can somewhat understand the reluctance to change that many files in this case, but still.

You have NO idea. lol
And, I have asked if anyone in the community would be interested in taking on the task of updating but no offers and I don't have the skills so there it is, although, I really thought the new css menu system would make it easier for people to get around considering it's actually really responsive

Heh, funny stuff posted.

About the look and format, that's something Bob has to do. The site has changed backgrounds here and there, as well as font, but it is still very much the same as it was years ago.

DWS was also the first Doom community site I regularly visited, with DW being the second, so I have a lot of love for it and I like doing this service for both it and the community.

I don't know much about networking or programming, so I really have no idea how much work it would be to overhaul the site, but much like DoomWorld, I do like its simplicity. It should be noted, though, that I do not do all of TWID by myself, Bob takes care of the formatting and getting everything up there. So it's a team effort :)

Cage: Heh, I figured thatd be about appropriate.
To be honest, I'd love to get my hands on an early copy of Supplice to do a "sneak peak," much like I did for "Shadow of the Wool Ball" and something special coming up this next article... I sent Mech a message, but it dawns on me in my tardiness getting that last article out and my need to already start on the next one, I forgot to message him back. But whenever y'all feel ready for it I will be, too.

The next article is up; few days late (for shame, Fonze) but ready for viewing :)

This week I was able to get an exclusive sneak peak at an amazing GzDoom wad titled "Shadows of the Nightmare Realm" by yukib1t. It's already an amazing piece of work and it's only 1 level+intro in; keep your eyes out for progress on this beautiful wad!

Couple small pieces wound up in the wrong sections and there is an old line from last week's article mentioning rdwpa's "Untitled" series, but it's a really small issue and is being ironed out. As always, we thank you for your continued support.

I should have mentioned this sooner, but I noticed the news part about Absolute Dishonor from last week for some reason isn't displaying any screenshots. Not sure if it's just my browser but I'm not seeing anything there.

That appears to be a problem on your end, valkiri; I see 3 screenies accompanying that wad in last week's article. Try a different browser and see if it displays properly. Do other screenies appear to load up fine?

Well I think the only answer of substance, or lack thereof, that I can come up with is Murphy's Law on that. Even on another (3rd) device the pics show up correctly for me, one of which was in the OP of this thread: downloaded from last week's TWID article on my previous phone, uploaded to Imgur and then posted here, which means it was posted correctly. Unfortunately that's about the extent of my knowledge on this; Bob handles the uploading and final formatting of the articles.

You're doing a great job, Fonze. Outstanding write-ups!

I am totally stoked for Shadows of The Nightmare Realm.

The newest article has been posted! Check it out.

Stay tuned for the next article, which will feature a sneak peak at a wad I'm really excited about from a mapper most of us are familiar with! 'Til next week!

Heh, those The Journey screenshots are all of levels I loved as much as I hated. Seeing some damn nice stuff there though! Guess I gotta get off my ass and read the article.

Oh, speaking of previews and such, Fonze, you might like to know that the sequel to Shrooms is well into development. And yes, tarkus.mid will make a return.

Ah yes, I enjoyed Shrooms.wad when it was on the forums. I see it's up on /idgames now and will be on this next article; I look forward to playing it again! Glad to hear the sequel is in development now and that ELP will get some more play time :)

I'd like to find a midi for their Karn Evil 9 tracks; mainly the first one with that awesome organ melody in the beginning.

I'm not sure I agree with you on that review of the old deathmatch map. I found it to be incredibly fun, even if there's absolutely no way one should consider playing it competitively, there's just too much luck involved.

A Karn Evil 9 midi, hm? There's this version that I know of, along with quite a few other prog-rock tracks in this site:
http://poingo.www6.50megs.com/elp/elp.html

Can't vouch for their quality as I've never been too huge a fan of ELP and don't know the songs by heart, sadly.

Oh, the site is a bit broken, if you want to explore the rest you'll have to change the poingo in the links around like this:
Wrong: http://www6.50megs.com/poingo/elp/elp.html
Right: http://poingo.www6.50megs.com/elp/elp.html

Also, sorry for derailing your thread :P

I'm not worried about it man; thanks for the link and the info! Their Karn Evil track appears to be the first movement, parts 1 and 2 (assuming my memory of the songs is correct), which is just what I was looking for. Would have been nice with the vocal track added particularly for the call/response in the beginning, but other than that, nice track; thanks again.

As for the reviews, if you feel so inclined you can always type up a review for any wad and submit it to Doom Wad Station. That particular DM map, though... Idk; fun in the same way Shoot.wad is fun perhaps, but even then I'd kinda rather play Shoot.wad. Also, that passable midtex in the center of the map is a perfect recipe for cheap kills.

Cheers!

Fonze said:

passable midtex in the center of the map is a perfect recipe for cheap kills.

Cheers!

Yeah, I thought of removing that one too, but as it's the exit switch and as it's in the very center of the map, I decided not to. Though, now when I think of it, I should have just removed the midtextures, raised the sector by 16 and applied the exit-sign texture. Oh well, not that anyone cares, it's a '96 map, for crying out loud!

-----
p.s. my next map is taking a lot more than 10 minutes, heh :]