Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Death Egg

Half completed Strife Free IWAD

At one point I tried to begin a Freedoom/Blasphemer/Zauberer conversion for Strife. I'm still interested in the project but I have no time to run something of this scale. The IWAD above is half converted already to what is needed to have a first version of sorts, enough has been replaced that I doubt this would count as warez. (The maps may be intact but good luck playing them like this.)

since you still have some strife content in there...and since this mod of yours isn't standalone yet, you should have released a pwad.

Nice Death Egg, but the download you posted here are older and have less content replaced than the one you posted here: https://www.doomworld.com/vb/wads-mods/59625-animosity-freestrife/
So perhaps it would be a better idea to link to that version instead, since it's less Strife content in it?
Also, can I ask you for a favour? Could you help me put together a placeholder IWAD for Hexen too? It would be really useful for Zauberer.

Ah, I didn't realize I'd posted another better version already. I'll delete the other link then.

If I can make time to do so I will help with the Hexen IWAD but I have been rather busy lately with a ton of projects, so don't take it as a yes quite yet.

Wasn't the original goal for Animosity this: able to get a Strife-like game legally?

If so, i think that problem has been fixed now, as now you can get Strife legally via Veteran Edition.

I had thought about starting a free strife project for a long time now, but I never did for a number of reasons(mainly because I'm lazy and a bad leader), so I'm just gonna throw my two cents here about how we should approach such a project, should it ever happen that is.
I, personally, would give the game a cyberpunk aesthetic, something very blade runner inspired. The maps/hubs would be different parts of a big futuristic city. The storyline could be something about crime, or corrupt government or some shit like that(Generic cyberpunk tropes).
One big challenge of this project though, would be replacing all Strife's text(Dialogue, cutscenes and mission briefings) with something that fits into the new plot, whatever it is, that we make for the game. There's also the problem of making a replacement file for the "Voices.wad", that contains the spoken lines from Strife's cutscenes and dialogue windows.

Strife can be played without a voices.wad.

SO, it wont be necessary to make a voices.wad (good luck making one though)

And HMG, so are you saying a story like the city of Gotham with Batman/something like this?

HorrorMovieGuy said:

cyberpunk aesthetic

Hacx already did the cyberpunk thing. But there's still a lot of untapped settings.
You could do a post-apocalypse world, where you travel between cities (all in varying levels of destruction, except maybe for one deep underground).
You could do something really out there, like lasers & magic & dinosaurs.
You could make the entire game take place in a giant space ship, like this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rendez-vous_with_Rama

I was once contemplating a Strife-like Rage demake. Yet another one of my dream projects that I'll never have time for.

Would be cool to see something like this, except without the deliberate IP infringement. Although the theme is admittedly pretty overused as well, perhaps even more so than cyberpunk.

Voros said:

And HMG, so are you saying a story like the city of Gotham with Batman/something like this?

I was thinking more along the lines of you being either a detective/bounty hunter(good guy) or a hacker/gang member(bad guy), depending on how we decide to build the story.

But I understand that everyone might wanna do something more original than cyberpunk. What other setting should we consider? Maybe Noir with light sci-fi elements? Or maybe even a 1984'ish dystopia?

The obvious missing setting is one based on Sandy Petersen's RPG of 1920's (or 1890's) Lovecraftian horror. You can kill all the monsters, but you'll die anyway at the end, or maybe just go insane.

How about taking Freedoom and whatever universe it has(hopefully, it'll be decided soon on the Freedoom Story thread) and expand it? Like how Doom RPG did. Same universe, just with RPG stuff added.

The bright side: people won't have to make completely new assets most of the time, as they can base it off Freedoom's. Life = improved, especially for artists.

The cloudy side: we have to think hard on how tell the story. Obviously, people will expect "AGM fucks up, you clean it" story. Fine, but we have to make it feel special. Make it involve the player on a personal level.

I can see it already, Freedoom: Phase 3.

hex11 said:

The obvious missing setting is one based on Sandy Petersen's RPG of 1920's (or 1890's) Lovecraftian horror. You can kill all the monsters, but you'll die anyway at the end, or maybe just go insane.

I really like that idea. It could have a Shadow of Innsmouth thing going on where you can't trust anyone in town. And I can see how we could make the sigil and the alien spectres into something lovecraftian. I guess the only reason I keep suggesting futuristic themes is because Strife has robots and stuff, but I keep forgetting that we can take it in any direction really.

Voros said:

How about taking Freedoom and whatever universe it has(hopefully, it'll be decided soon on the Freedoom Story thread) and expand it? Like how Doom RPG did. Same universe, just with RPG stuff added.
The bright side: people won't have to make completely new assets most of the time, as they can base it off Freedoom's. Life = improved, especially for artists.

Eh, I think it would be better to not recycle assets from other projects unless they're heavily edited. Keep things fresh, y'know? As time consuming and hard as it may be, I think we should strive to have each project be unique and distinct. It's gonna be worth it in the end.

hex11 said:

You can kill all the monsters, but you'll die anyway at the end, or maybe just go insane.

Good ideas for the endings.

Voros said:

The cloudy side: we have to think hard on how tell the story. Obviously, people will expect "AGM fucks up, you clean it" story. Fine, but we have to make it feel special. Make it involve the player on a personal level.

I can see it already, Freedoom: Phase 3.

if its going to recycle stuff from freedoom than it is not worth doing as a free strife alternative. just imagine if doom, hexen, heretic and strife had the same art

Voros said:

Strife can be played without a voices.wad.

SO, it wont be necessary to make a voices.wad (good luck making one though)

Actually, I believe that vanilla/chocolate Strife does require voices.wad. This is because in these versions, dialogue text is not displayed when the character has voice acting. So you'd get a blank space with no dialogue, and no voice line to help.

Therefore, ignoring the voices.wad is not a good idea.

TheMightyHeracross said:

My mistake. I was using the Beloko Android port, which is a port of Chocolate Strife. Must have been an older version.

I can also play Strife without voices.wad on Strife Touch too.

That's weird

On topic, I feel like voices.wad should get done, but only once everything else is finished. IIRC there are a few mods out there that already make use of voice acting, so it should be possible. It's good to have it there for the sake of having a complete replacement. It'd be kind of like having Freedoom without an Episode 4, IMO.

I agree, voices.wad should be made when strife.wad is completed.

-update your Strife Touch

TheMightyHeracross said:

On topic, I feel like voices.wad should get done, but only once everything else is finished.

I feel like this is the type of project that needs first and foremost a solid story that we won't be changing much in the future, or at all really. So long as we have a complete script, we can get to working on the VOICES.wad replacement.

TheMightyHeracross said:

IIRC there are a few mods out there that already make use of voice acting, so it should be possible.

I've seen some in the past, with varying degrees of quality. I think we should be a little strict with the quality control when it comes to voice acting submissions, so we can avoid bad acting and low quality recordings. Of course, I'm not saying we should be a bunch of elitists and accept only Oscar-worthy performances, but it would be nice to have the game's dialogue not sound like a direct to VHS B-Movie.