Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MTF Sergeant

What if there was a flamethrower?

Jaxxoon R said:

Then why can mancubi kill other monsters with their flamethrowers?

It's the smelly goo that's on fire that kills them, not the actual fire :P

MrGlide said:

Flamethrowers in games such any way, the eat up to many of the games resources, can drop framerate. I would rather see a dev team work on the game engine running better or other things to put alloted resources into rather then a flamethrower.

Given how particle heavy this game is, I doubt a flamethrower would make a huge difference, especially since the game already has one in the form of the Mancubus.

Not to mention all the broken pipes in the base that spew fountains of flame. Doesn't seem to slow the game at all.

Why can Imps kill other monsters with their great balls of fire?

Because imp fireballs are made out of Hell energy, which can harm demons - essentially the same stuff that powers the plasma gun and the BFG.

Which means a flamethrower needs to be an Argent-powered flamethrower - that should work!

GoatLord said:

A flamethrower would give Doom a much-needed "The Thing" vibe.

Kill it with BFG fire! It is the only way to be sure!

Which wouldn't be a bad starting setting for an expansion pack as we only got one Polar level (with only a tiny outdoor area).

Been thinking about this subject a lot - starting to think that a flamethrower would make for a nice "weapon mod" function on a new weapon, where you "vent" the fire from the weapons exhaust ports or the like. Done right, I could be ok with that.

Maybe the weapon shares fuel with the chainsaw somehow...

One of the Plasma Rifle mods already enables to vent out the excess heat, so that would be unoriginal.

Even if it does something totally different? Ok then, whatever you say...

Heat blast is an explosive, wide area-of-effect that does massive damage to enemies surrounding the player (depending on how much heat the player has built up).
Pressing the button immediately expends all the built-up energy.

My idea is a slow venting of a directed, steady stream of fire. Y'know, like a flamethrower?
And it doesn't immediately expend the excess heat/fuel/whatever, rather spends it gradually.

Directed stream of fire =! instant damage shockwave.

I get the feeling I'm still missing your point.

MetroidJunkie said:

Given how particle heavy this game is..

True, as for DSM's idea that sounds cool. @shotfan, this differencewould be instead of having an instant shockwave of blast damage go around you, youd have a stream or cone that would do damage over time, and would be neat if we could stick it to the floors to zone enemies a bit, I think it's a cool Idea.

Thanks for clarification to you both. Now I agree, it is something new to have. However: which weapon should have this mod? Maybe Chaingun, since it fires so fast and so big bullets it could have enough waste fire to redirect. This fire could be ejected to the sides as you fire the gun, allowing you to carve through the hordes like a hot knife through butter, protecting yourself with bullets up the front and fire to the sides.

shotfan said:

Thanks for clarification to you both. Now I agree, it is something new to have. However: which weapon should have this mod? Maybe Chaingun, since it fires so fast and so big bullets it could have enough waste fire to redirect. This fire could be ejected to the sides as you fire the gun, allowing you to carve through the hordes like a hot knife through butter, protecting yourself with bullets up the front and fire to the sides.

Having it on the chaingun would be pretty convenient, yeah. But I reckon the machine gun needs a good mod alongside the micro missiles. Sod the scope, I used that like twice in the whole game.

machine gun with underslung flamethrower addon would be pretty neat, yeah. one mod is for sticking larger demons with several powerful micro missiles, the other one for toasting enemies up-close with a pretty devastating burn effect. it also feels like it'd fit right in on the shotgun, replacing the triple burst with it, because i never saw the use of that one honestly.

shotfan said:

You're welcome :)

I was thinking a new weapon introduced in an expansion pack - I have no ideas for what said weapon might be, other than it using more conventional fuel to make the flamethrower alt-mode consistent with its primary fire.

Don't think the existing weapons should have a new mod, since they already have mods (except for the chainsaw, BFG and the SSG), and I feel it would be a bit overkill to add more to them (not to mention add unnecessary complexity).

I think the explosive shot mod should be given to the chaingun, so that each bullet will explode when hit, just like the Spider Mastermind's weapon in Brutal Doom. It might also create some flame effects, I think.