Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoomUK

The Doom Confessional Booth

Solarn said:

- I really hate when people play vanilla/limit-removing/Boom-compatible maps in more advanced sourceports.

I haven't noticed it as much about Eternity, but both ZDoom and GZDoom have vastly different behaviours even in lower compatibility modes (it's especially noticeable in GZDoom where I get stuck on everything, even completely flat walls, all the time if I try to strafe past monsters the way I do in Chocolate Doom or PrBoom+) than regular Doom, and playing WADs with closer-to-vanilla compatibility in them does not give the intended experience at all.

"oh look at me i'm the purist!!!"
you can just put the compatibility onto "strict" you silly goose

...and i've never gotten stuck on a flat wall :/

rileymartin said:

Speaking of getting stuck, at least I don't get stuck on infinitely tall monsters in my superior source port!

ayyyyy

Cerebrate64 said:

I downloaded HDOOM.

And I liked it.

You got good taste.

While others see it as ridiculous, I see it as innovative.

Da Werecat said:

I always thought that getting stuck on walls is a vanilla thing.

Getting stuck on walls Not sliding along impassable 2-sided linedefs is a vanilla non-ZDoom thing.

That's what I meant for the most part.

There are other conditions for flawed sliding, but I don't remember whether ZDoom retains or fixes any of them.

I'm pretty sure that ZDoom "fixes" wall running, but does provide a compat option to re-enable it. I'm pretty sure as well, that using any of the less-than-zdoom compat modes automatically turns this option on.

Also, if it really bugs you that people olay your non zdoom map without infinitely tall actors, you can include a MAPINFO lump that forces it on! People with likely still just go in and remove it though. Personally I don't mind it much, but I like to design some encounters in such a way that not having infinitely tallness will make it magnitudes more difficult! ;D

Rayzik said:

Personally I don't mind it much, but I like to design some encounters in such a way that not having infinitely tallness will make it magnitudes more difficult! ;D

is this code for "cacodemons and lost souls fucking everywhere"

One of my favorite setups is to flood an arena with pinkies, and then place spiderdemons on top of them, and then cyberdemons on top of those, and then archviles on top of them. With infinite height though they all get stuck.

roadworx said:

"oh look at me i'm the purist!!!"
you can just put the compatibility onto "strict" you silly goose

It's simply not the same!

Though I'm not at all an elitist about settings people choose, everyone should play however they want. It just so happens in my case that's 640x480 with pure OS settings :o)

Infinitely tall actors can cause some frustrating/hilarious situations in duel and deathmatches, as do infinitely tall explosions!

roadworx said:

...pinkies are butches?

Butch:

In reference to women, usually used as a pejorative term to describe a lesbian with a seemingly intentional masculine aesthetic. I.e. short hair, broad stance (heh), heavy boots, baggy jeans...see "Orange Is The New Black" for several examples of this.

Fonze said:

Feel free to join up in the Quakenet.org irc channel #dmstuff if you ever get the urge to play with a good group of people. Lots of people find Doom's MP to be a lot of fun after trying it, even if it is extremely rough in the beginning ;D

Course, there's always all sorts of coop/survival-type modes out there for the pansies more PvE-focused players.

Will do man. Thanks for the invite :) Like i said i've never played Doom MP before so..haha! Hell, i'm still sorta new to playing Doom in a sense, well on a full-sized keyboard/mouse anyways.

I think Lost Souls' health is exactly right. I've always viewed them as sort of magical, demonic beings (they are flying skulls on fire, after all) so I never had the feeling they were too strong.

Clonehunter said:

Oh God that is always a great. I always felt BA when I killed a Pinky with the SSG. Also why I like other 90's era games, always bloody. Powerslave had cool gibs, Hitler's death is always a classic, and don't get me started on the Mancubus. :D

Pinky dies easy with an SSG. But the mancubus needs to get plasma burned to his face!

Crunchynut44 said:

My least favorite part about mapping is placing things, to the point where I actively dislike it. I find it a tedious process that you always have to go back and forward to test and get right. sometimes I have full map layouts complete for weeks before I can summon the effort to start placing things.

Exactly, but placing things makes enormous difference regarding to gameplay and thus great difference for the final product. Sometimes the "placing things" step made me tweak some rooms, and I liked to think how to improve things while trying to keep original layout concepts the best I could.
That being said yes.. to test repeatedly the maps just to add some medikit or remove some cell and play the whole level again is not a big entertainment.

Make a collab with someone who loves monster placement ;D Try out many partners til you find the one that makes the levels closest to your vision of them and form a decent connection; maybe start work on a larger project with them and let the good times roll on.

ArchvileHunter said:

I really REALLY hate Alien Vendetta...

How is this possible? AV is a legendary wad man. Never gets boring.

rileymartin said:

How is this possible? AV is a legendary wad man. Never gets boring.

i can kinda see where he's coming from. it's starts off absolutely amazing, but then...ehh, it turns into a slaughter wad. then again, i suck at doom, and it's waaay too hard for me :p

roadworx said:

it's starts off absolutely amazing, but then...ehh, it turns into a slaughter wad.

Does it though? Hard wad ≠ slaughter wad.

Da Werecat said:

Does it though? Hard wad ≠ slaughter wad.

again, my opinion. i suck at doom, and there were a shit-ton of enemies in the later levels i played, so i consider that a slaughter wad. i'm probably wrong, feel free to correct me, maybe i'm just stupid.

Royal_Sir said:

I always pronounce AASHITTY as A. A. Shitty. I didn't realize until later it probably is A Ash ITTY

Welp, I learned something new. I still like the first pronunciation better.

I always thought it was "ASS SHITTY" until just now realising that's 9 characters..

Guest Unregistered account

At first, I got AASHITTY and GRAYTALL mixed up, due to them sharing a patch... I ended up thinking GRAYTALL was AASHITTY, and assumed that ID were poking fun at themselves for making a bad texture.

...Clearly I never tried using AASHITTY as a texture.