Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jute

Wads with '90s 3D rendered art

I'm looking for partial conversions or other wads that use 3D rendered sprites of the sort common in the 1990s: low-poly, abstract by necessity, untextured but brightly colored. Here are screenshots (lifted from https://onemandoom.blogspot.com/) from Strain and Hell to Pay that show the kind of thing I'm interested in:

I think it would be interesting to supplement one of these partial conversions with similar art from other wads, creating a total conversion that avoids the clash of styles between the vanilla sprites and 3D rendered sprites. It would undoubtedly violate the wad's licenses, unfortunately.

Oh man. I have strong memories of finding POVDoom on some shovelware CD as a kid. I didn't know it was made by Iikka Keränen. Massmouth is another good suggestion.

Well, I wanted Doomed in Space to feel like a cheesey-but-fun 90's mod and that's partially due to the ripped/edited resources. It's still pretty incomplete, but it takes a page out of the Dark Forces book as well as a few other good Doom clones that use those basic and goofy but also endearing types of sprites. The first half is in a playable state, you might get some enjoyment from it.

Harmony does this, except that it actually looks good. Plus there's the original Hacx. (EDIT: I don't think either of these wads used bad 3D rendering to create the sprites, but at least they have that '90s feel).

Harmony uses digitized photos of clay models, much like Doom itself.

scifista42 said:

Older versions of Freedoom.

Yep, the Serpentide and Orb Monster were 3D models.

Not Jabba said:

Plus there's the original Hacx. (EDIT: I don't think either of these wads used bad 3D rendering to create the sprites, but at least they have that '90s feel).

Hacx WAS made in the '90s.

rf` said:

What about Doom Must fall 2097? Its entirely in that style.

Another one I'd forgotten! Doom Must Fall might be the apex of the style.