Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Aqfaq

The Great Tyson Thread of 2016

In theory it's possible the get cyber stuck by entering their hitbox just like mancs and spiders, but I've never managed to do it on cybers.

j4rio said:

get cyber stuck by entering their hitbox

Can somebody make a TAS demonstration of this, please?

So, any tips? How should we approach a wild cyber? Fast or slow? From the behind? Sideways?

I discovered something in Sycthe II map 10:

Turns out we can punch the cybers to the head through these windows. It is easy to miss them, but the cybers can't damage us, so we just need to be patient. It is also easy to harvest 400 bullets from zombiemen beforehand, but it is not necessary. The only hard part in the whole map is the arch-vile jump, which will make the run extra cool! It is rare to see arch-vile jumps in tyson runs. I believe this will be one of the shortest undone tysons remaining on the list. This can be completed in about 20 minutes. I am not going to try that arch-vile jump, though. Whoever manages to make the jump is pretty much guaranteed to finish the run.

Meanwhile, I have almost succeeded in HR2 map 23, but after two hours of bullet harvesting I got all-ghosts... TWICE!!! So, the total time wasted in two attempts is 4 hours. Two attempts, four hours. It's a different kind of grind...

Strangely, this obscure game called Bubble Bobble also has a ghost that appears if we waste too much time in the level. Same with Spelunky. It seems that all-ghosts is not a bug, it's a feature.

Aqfaq said:

Meanwhile, I have almost succeeded in HR2 map 23, but after two hours of bullet harvesting I got all-ghosts... TWICE!!! So, the total time wasted in two attempts is 4 hours. Two attempts, four hours. It's a different kind of grind...

That's what you get for stacking that many items in a straight line in a cl2 wad

Ah, the item count matters. Thanks. For some reason I had the impression that all-ghosts was only triggered by lines. I thought the lines in the long hallway or stairs caused it here. Well, I just need to let the arch-viles die a little earlier. 1500 bullets should be enough to finish the rest of the level. j4rio could do this without any harvesting, though. Only a dozen or so barons and HKs to punch. I need bullets for that.

Demostration (not tas!) of how to make the cyber get stuck in ev30, you just sr40 into the cyber while it's distracted by cacos in any of the balconies and pray it works.

Aqfaq said:

So, any tips? How should we approach a wild cyber? Fast or slow? From the behind? Sideways?

Clearly, as seen in the demo, the approach is from dat ass :^)

ev30stuckcyb.zip

I like the fact that it was recorded at 4 AM. I can't think of a better time for something like this.

I found a new strategy for HR2 map 06. This is very easy now. You just need patience.

Look at this:

Just dodge baron shots for 1-2 hours until the cyber dies behind the wall. (Lost souls and caco shots also penetrate the wall, if you like to use those instead.) No bullets wasted, so you have all 210 bullets to use as you like.

Who's gonna do this?

Here's another promising idea for AV map 16. The noclipping mancubus shots can almost hit the cybers, but I have not been able to verify a hit.

IIRC, manc fireballs work like line skips and go through west and south walls (someone would need to confirm), so this should be possible provided that the floor heights are the same and there are no floor heights in between that would mess things up (probably if floors were too high in the void as well).

kraflab said:

Wow, these are some strats I would never have even considered, cool.

You need to shed all the remaining hints of sanity and stop thinking within the pitiful temporal confines of human lives.

4shockblast said:

floor heights

Oh, damn. The mancubus shots often hit a floor in the void a few meters from the cybers. I'm sure the shots can go deeper in, but I don't know what spot would be the best to stand on. Maybe we should stand on the small box nearby to make the angle smaller. Or maybe we need to jump from the opposite ledge, so that the mancubus aims us midair. That would be a TAS only trick, though. Depending on the effectiveness of the setup, it might take 6 or 60 hours to kill all the cybers with this trick.

Anyway, if you can find similar level layouts in other maps, maybe you can transform some INSANE+ map into DOABLE. What surprised me today is that a lost soul can bite through a single-line wall. Who knew that we can kill a cyber with a single lost soul...

HR map 11 is very easy now. You can lower the arch-vile with a lift to kill the first cyber. The second cyber is also killed by an arch-vile. The third cyber dies easily in infights. We can harvest more than 1000 bullets, which makes the last part of the map trivially easy. I had more than 300 bullets left in my test run, so you don't even need to harvest bullets optimally. I could do this map, but I am rusty and the time would not be good. So, if you are reading this, then this is a demo request.

Semi-pro tip:

Aqfaq said:

I could do this map, but I am rusty and the time would not be good.

Time's definitely an important factor when you're waiting for 2 cybers to die from archviles.

hr11t12107.zip

Well, that was quick.

We are slowly, but steadily running out of cheese. I am genuinely surprised, if any other HR maps ever get done.

Edit: Map 19 is probably the easiest HR map now. Map 12 would be easy too, if we only managed to kill the spider.

I'll assume your position of doom cheesus for once.

Hr map 12 tyson doable -

1. Wake up this guy.
2. Lure him all over the map here
3. Push him into the hole with spider (requires luck to survive)
4. Dash to the room on the left, hope the soul descends and doesn't come out before door closes. Wait until it's on the other side of the room.
5. If done correctly, spider will be stuck and enterable from the right side, which will tranquilize him.
6. Punch soul out so it doesn't bother you and you're done.

Obviously luckbased to the max, and even if done correctly, there's still a lot to do with the map. I don't think I want to bother.

Hahah, awesome idea. The idea itself is often the best part anyway. Lost souls are an overlooked resource.

It is also possible to get an arch-vile down the lift, but it is incredibly hard to do and mostly useless. The arch-vile can attack the spider maybe 50 times before dying from its own blasts. With the invisibility we can survive long enough to shoot about 60 bullets into the spider. This is not enough, so the lost soul method is much better.

ksutra map18 looks doable. There are something like 700 bullets available to begin with, which is enough to take out the two annoyingly placed cyberdemons and the two tower revenants, provided that the cyberdemons have been softened up by infighting and some punches with the invulnerability. The third cyberdemon usually dies to infighting.

On top of that, the archvile + zombieman inside the train can be farmed forever, if needed. The archvile near the blue skull switch also potentially allows farming, but I'm not sure if there's a consistent setup for it.

The nukage arachnotrons can potentially walk into the teleporters which allows telefragging them. However, bullet farming seems faster than waiting for that to happen...

Everything else looks reasonable, considering that there's a berserk, plenty of health, and corners to hide behind.

Fredrik said:

ksutra map18 looks doable. There are something like 700 bullets available to begin with, which is enough to take out the two annoyingly placed cyberdemons and the two tower revenants, provided that the cyberdemons have been softened up by infighting and some punches with the invulnerability. The third cyberdemon usually dies to infighting.

On top of that, the archvile + zombieman inside the train can be farmed forever, if needed. The archvile near the blue skull switch also potentially allows farming, but I'm not sure if there's a consistent setup for it.

The nukage arachnotrons can potentially walk into the teleporters which allows telefragging them. However, bullet farming seems faster than waiting for that to happen...

Everything else looks reasonable, considering that there's a berserk, plenty of health, and corners to hide behind.

I think that all ksutra maps have berserk (+ lot of power up) but I am afraid that it's too much of luxury and those maps are way too easy for these crazy guys :-)

Oh, by the way, j4rio, you could have shot the spider in HR map 11 from this spot:

The spider can't target us here, so we don't lose any health or time while shooting. The same kind of position makes the ending of Requiem map 27 trivial.

The spider is too tall, remember that you all...