Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
matrisking

co-op

ack, quick question, probably a newb one at that....

when i play doom 2 95 co-op on my network by making a game and not checking dm, or dm 2, or any of that crap, it works fine, but all the dm weapson are still in there, you know what im talking about? like in map01 you got the bfg, rocket launcher, double barrel, etc. ALL right there where you start (just as htey are placed in DM), is there any way to keep single player items but play co-op? cuz otherwise it really isnt that fun :\

As far as I am concerned, there is no such thing called Doom 2 95. Did you mean you were trying to play Doom II with Doom 95 launcher?

I cannot visualize what kind of options are given on it, but basically the command line to the essential cooperataive game mode is "deathmatch 0".

matrisking, that is perfectly normal. Those additional weapons are the "multiplayer" weapons, and show up in both DM (both types) and coop. This also means that the "multiplayer" monsters are added, so that even if there's more available weapons, there's also a greater challenge: some maps even have a Cyberdemon added to it, like 11, 17 and 19. But whatever. If you don't like it play something else. Quake II maybe?

cop999, yeah, doom 2 w/the windows launcher, and on the cd it says doom II for windows 95, etc. etc, its the doom you get with the doom trilogy when you let your friend borrow your doom II cd and he moves and you have to go find another copy of doom... ;]

so yeah, you cant actually enter parameters like that, its all menus and stuff, and they have two checkboxes for deathmatch and deathmatch II (would ANYONE play old dm anymore? ^^)

anyways, yeah myk and anomaly, i get what you're saying, i understand how the Multiplayer tag works in things (really useful for blocking off parts of a single player level to convert to multiplayer using columns ;D) but i was just wondernig if there was a way to disable all multi things but... ya know.... still have a multi game...

HOWEVER i didnt realize there were more monsters down the road so thatll make it mroe fun and exciting etc. etc. thanks for the 411 guys :D

matrisking said:
i was just wondernig if there was a way to disable all multi things but... ya know.... still have a multi game...

No. It's a feature, it's just unfortunate one that most wad authors use it very badly.

HOWEVER i didnt realize there were more monsters down the road so thatll make it mroe fun and exciting etc.

I would not describe the cyberdemon at MAP11 as fun or exciting. Painful and totally-messing-up-a-good-sp-level are the phrases that come to mind. id had no idea when it comes to coop, I stick to pwads.

matrisking said:

(would ANYONE play old dm anymore? ^^)

Certainly! Most of my doom friends prefer the "weapons stay" settings for mo' fragfest action, mo' better!

If you want coop without all of the dm weapons, a good possibiliy is to use zdoom (zdoom.notgod.com). It works great on a LAN and allows you to specify dmflags to control all aspects of the game, whether weapons stay or respawn, whether health and ammo respawn or not, to include the dm weapons or not, etc. You should probably try to use zdoom 1.22 from the downloads section first, it's been around a long time and comes with documentation.

cph said:

I would not describe the cyberdemon at MAP11 as fun or exciting. Painful and totally-messing-up-a-good-sp-level are the phrases that come to mind. id had no idea when it comes to coop, I stick to pwads.

I don't really agree there. DOOM II is OK for coop, its difficulty balance is handled pretty well, especially for 2 (or maybe 3) players. Some PWADs are good for it too, and some may be particularly good for it, but the standard maps still play OK.

The map11 cybie can be dangerous, sure, but it can also be distracted or avoided. It actually encourages roles; one player can keep it angry and occupied while the others get the keys and stuff.

like in map01 you got the bfg, rocket launcher, double barrel, etc. ALL right there where you start (just as htey are placed in DM

Are you complaining?

myk said:

The map11 cybie can be dangerous, sure, but it can also be distracted or avoided. It actually encourages roles; one player can keep it angry and occupied while the others get the keys and stuff.

yea, or you can obliterate the Sob, or run your ass off and hope for the best :)

The best add-on wad for co-op that I know of is Memento Mori 1. Once you're finished with the original levels, I strongly suggest you give it a try :)

Plutonia is quite good for co-op too, from what I remember (it's been a few years since I last had a co-op game ;) ).